Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2020, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Avid will announce new DSP product(s) next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
-Plugin Alliance's depicted plugin using the DSP, is because P.A. has almost all their plugin catalog as AAX DSP too. Since Waves ditched AAX DSP, Avid needs another developer to promote their DSP platform, IMO.
I couldn't agree more on this point. PA is not a bad developer* and some of their catalogue mirrors some of the offerings on the UAD platform at a better price for the same output. But taken as a whole right now there is no complement of AAX DSP plugins that would prompt me to re-jig my music production templates and develop new muscle memory.

FabFilter, SoundToys, Antares, Valhalla DSP, Cytomic, iZotope. . . Of course, I can't expect Avid to cater their R&D and marketing to specifically my use case but I would need to see some broader cooperation from 3rd party developers before buying in.

And I will not go back to another interface that locks in to Pro Tools to the exclusion of other applications.

*I don't know whether it's more accurate to think of PA as a developer or as more of a publisher and retailer?
Old 11-09-2020, 12:15 PM

Exactly the bottleneck for me, the HDX plugin arsenal is not covering my needs. I miss the creative plug-ins and the analog emulation plug-ins. If only the uad kind of plug-ins were in the Aax DSP world I would have used protools HDX only.

Cant live with fabfilter plug-ins either. Luckily the pro-eq adds second to no delay, with the pro-Mb and L 2 it’s another story:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
I couldn't agree more on this point. PA is not a bad developer* and some of their catalogue mirrors some of the offerings on the UAD platform at a better price for the same output. But taken as a whole right now there is no complement of AAX DSP plugins that would prompt me to re-jig my music production templates and develop new muscle memory.

FabFilter, SoundToys, Antares, Valhalla DSP, Cytomic, iZotope. . . Of course, I can't expect Avid to cater their R&D and marketing to specifically my use case but I would need to see some broader cooperation from 3rd party developers before buying in.

And I will not go back to another interface that locks in to Pro Tools to the exclusion of other applications.

*I don't know whether it's more accurate to think of PA as a developer or as more of a publisher and retailer?

Last edited by RobertDorn; 11-09-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
-Plugin Alliance's depicted plugin using the DSP, is because P.A. has almost all their plugin catalog as AAX DSP too. Since Waves ditched AAX DSP, Avid needs another developer to promote their DSP platform, IMO.

Cheers!
It might be also worth noting that PA/Brainworx also had a BIG chunk of their plugins exclusive to UAD until earlier this year, when they started being able to spin them off into Native versions. IF (Big IF) the chips shown in the new hardware video tease are the same (or effectively the same line) as what UAD was using in their hardware, you might think that it's a (relatively) simple port for PA to get their plugs working on new Avid hardware that utilized the same DSP chips.... Maybe???

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 11-09-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
It might be also worth noting that PA/Brainworx also had a BIG chunk of their plugins exclusive to UAD until earlier this year, when they started being able to spin them off into Native versions. IF (Big IF) the chips shown in the new hardware video tease are the same (or effectively the same line) as what UAD was using in their hardware, you might think that it's a (relatively) simple port for PA to get their plugs working on new Avid hardware that utilized the same DSP chips.... Maybe???
What it it with this UAD fascianation? How many posts do you need in this thread saying otherwise. The video discussed only a few posts ago clearly shows TI DSP chips, completely incompatible with what UAD uses. Let alone this would be hard to see making any business sense for Avid or UAD.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
The majority of PA plug-ins are already HDX DSP including a number of those they did for UAD.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:34 PM

Very MTRX Studio like front panel layout. So very likely (and I sure hope/expect another DAD/NTP OEM'ed box.

UAD Apollo x8p included as well, why? I have no idea.

Avid_DSP_Box.jpg
Old 11-09-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I would need to see some broader cooperation from 3rd party developers before buying in.
Unfortunately that boat has sailed. Truth to be told, Waves was a major player regarding the DSP plugins for ProTools especially with TDM, back in the day. When Waves withdrew from developing the AAX DSP plugins, it definitely hurt Avid at that point loosing a major developer, leading to other developers follow along. Only a handful of them have left, that support AAX DSP and i don't think whatever box Avid will release on 12th, will make FabFilter, SoundToys (used to make TDM), Valhalla, Izotope (or others) to jump on the wagon. Native is the game for them.

Quote:
That stands correct. Plugin Alliance can be considered as a publisher/retailer. Brainworx is the developer team, it all started from that, evolving to P.A. as it is now.

Cheers.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Very MTRX Studio like front panel layout. So very likely (and I sure hope/expect another DAD/NTP OEM'ed box.

UAD Apollo x8p included as well, why? I have no idea.

Attachment 13656

Probably because it is an MYRX Studio. Zoom in to the rh side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 11-09-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
Probably because it is an MYRX Studio. Zoom in to the rh side.
MYRX? Not sure what you are looking at exactly.

It's clearly not a MTRX studio, not as in as the current model which has no mic gain knob... which this one clearly has. No XLR inputs as this one clearly has. I expect it's heavily based on a MTRX Studio. It will be interesting to see how much if any of the internals are shared between this and the MTRX Studio. Might be that Avid and UAD designed theses systems together and the DSP one took longer to ship.

---

The back panel layout may be fairly guessable, inside show shows either dual RJ45 side by side or USB-C side by side. Looks more RJ-45, but some PCB mount USB-C do look like that. Maybe the USB-C are below the Ethernet? I'm hoping both maybe stacked on top of each other so 2x USB-C thunderbolt and 2 x RJ45 for DADman and Dante, which would make sense. Monitor output TRS sockets shown next to those RJ-45/USB-C? sockets. Can't work out if the DSP board has space for an expansion card itself of if those edge connectors on the right of it are just for testing... I'd guess testing since there don't seem to be mounts/slots for any small expansion card. Notura fan, nice. Hopefully Avid have learnt all the lessons needed about fan problem in 1U boxes.

Now oh what is the price... And factoring in you still likely need Ultimate to run it... is it going to be North of a MTRX Studio + HDX card or south of a MTRX and more heading towards a UAD Apollo x8p ballpark. Yes I know it is likely much more powerful/flexible than a UAD Apollo for Pro Tools HD/HDX users. Will there be a version without the DSP daughter card... I'd hope so.. and want to make that one an aggressive entry price.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:41 PM

I have feeling this is going to be a "Nothing Burger"

Always hoping for a new HDX card to go with new MP7.1 computers with PCIe slots....