Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Default Transferring PTHD 9 iLok asset

So I just found out (as others probably already know) that you can't transfer Pro Tools iLok licenses anymore.

"Transfer to another account is not allowed for this product."

So... How do I get the iLok software assets to the dude who just bought my HD|Native card?

Does putting them on a new iLok, removing said iLok from my account, sending it to new user and having them sync to their ilok.com account work? Is the new user able to sync them off the new iLok onto other iLoks at their choosing?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Transferring PTHD 9 iLok asset

Hmm, to make matters more confusing, from the "Transfer of Ownership" page:

Quote:
Pro Tools License

The Pro Tools license is included with Pro Tools core hardware systems and cannot be sold separately (this includes any upgrades to the Pro Tools software). If you sell a core system, the included Pro Tools license then becomes the property of the new owner, and all future update and upgrade rights are transferred as well.

The seller is responsible for providing all Pro Tools software and Pro Tools authorizations for that software that should be included with a used core system. If the current software and authorizations were not included, the buyer must purchase a Pro Tools software upgrade from the Store or an Authorized Avid Reseller. All purchased Pro Tools upgrades are complete installers that do not require previous installation of Pro Tools or registration, either to purchase or install the Pro Tools upgrades.
So I'm responsible for providing the software, but Avid has made it so I can't provide the software unless I do this sketchy move with a physical iLok which might be against ilok.com terms of use? Awesomesauce.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Thats interesting. I just transfered one ( A PT9 vanilla asset.) a couple of days ago. Didn't have an issue.

You should be able to do the HD transfer to a new iLok. Eject it from your account and mail it to the new owner.

If your trying to separate out a bundle license like the PT9 HD, PT9, PT8 backup bundle thats included in the PT9 HD asset you cant break the bundle down into its components.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 PM

I'm not trying to break up the bundle, I want to send the whole thing.

"Transfer to another account is not allowed for this product." shows up next to the bundle file, the individual assets are viewable but only in a expanded view sorta way.

The funny thing is, I have 2 PT9HD license bundles, one of which I RECEIVED via iLok transfer a few months ago when I bought a used HD3, so this is obviously something really new. Both bundles/assets (which live on 2 different iLoks) now have this "not allowed" thing next to them though, so even the one I once received via iLok transfer is now not eligible for iLok transfer.

The PT bundles and my Filterbank HD license all show this message, all the rest of my licenses are able to be selected for transfer as normal.

I wonder if it's a mistake? Can someone else check their ilok.com account and see if you're seeing the same thing?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
I'm not trying to break up the bundle, I want to send the whole thing.

"Transfer to another account is not allowed for this product." shows up next to the bundle file, the individual assets are viewable but only in a expanded view sorta way.

The funny thing is, I have 2 PT9HD license bundles, one of which I RECEIVED via iLok transfer a few months ago when I bought a used HD3, so this is obviously something really new. Both bundles/assets (which live on 2 different iLoks) now have this "not allowed" thing next to them though, so even the one I once received via iLok transfer is now not eligible for iLok transfer.

The PT bundles and my Filterbank HD license all show this message, all the rest of my licenses are able to be selected for transfer as normal.

I wonder if it's a mistake? Can someone else check their ilok.com account and see if you're seeing the same thing?
I'll check.

You are correct.

It says "Transfer to another account is not allowed for this product". I'm pretty sure that you can transfer it to an iLok and then eject it and physicaly transfer it. It might be wise to check with some one that does a lot of iLok transfers like AudioDeluxe/Dutchmuzik or EJ Wells etc. Hopefully that helps.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
So I just found out (as others probably already know) that you can't transfer Pro Tools iLok licenses anymore.

"Transfer to another account is not allowed for this product."

So... How do I get the iLok software assets to the dude who just bought my HD|Native card?

Does putting them on a new iLok, removing said iLok from my account, sending it to new user and having them sync to their ilok.com account work? Is the new user able to sync them off the new iLok onto other iLoks at their choosing?
Hi,

I think to do it officially you have to do a transfer of ownership via your Avid account! then avid will give permission to ilok to transfer the asset.

What you can't do is transfer unregistered HD systems.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,I think to do it officially you have to do a transfer of ownership via your Avid account! then avid will give permission to ilok to transfer the asset.
You can't transfer ownership via the online system, it's done with a piece of paper.

I think I'm gonna burn one of my free phone support codes today and see what is really supposed to happen here. Something just doesn't seem right.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM

I just talked to Avid registration support. According to them, this should not be happening. They gave me a support email address for Pace/iLok.com and said they should be able to clear it up.

I will post results if I hear back from the Pace people. Kinda scary that Avid isn't aware that this is happening though, definitely seems unintended.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I just talked to Avid registration support. According to them, this should not be happening. They gave me a support email address for Pace/iLok.com and said they should be able to clear it up.

I will post results if I hear back from the Pace people. Kinda scary that Avid isn't aware that this is happening though, definitely seems unintended.
Please keep the thread updated. I'm curious about how this works out.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Well, I still haven't heard a peep back from PACE/iLok.

At this point I'm considering two things:

a) Refunding the new owner the $350 cost of an HD9 upgrade so they can go online and buy it

b) Doing the sketchy "overnight new iLok across the country after syncing and removing from my account" thing.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?