Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 AM

Default Eleven Rack headphone out

Does anyone know the power output of the Eleven rack headphone out? I'm trying to decide on an in-ear monitor system and noticed that different receivers have power outputs ranging from 65mW up to 150mW. I just want to avoid buying something that would run out of clean headroom. I thought knowing the output of the ElevenRack would help make a decision.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack headphone out

If you're plugging your IEMs into their own body pack, the specs on the headphone out of the 11R are irrelevant. IEM body packs take a line-level signal.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM

So is anyone out there using IEM's with their 11R, or anything else for that matter? And by using with 11R I mean, playing live with a sound co., monitor mix,etc...
Old 01-12-2013, 04:15 PM

TyeDyedDevil - Probably just semantics, but the body pack on an IEM is the receiver, not the transmitter, so doesn't take line input at all; it sends an output to your earbuds. The transmitter box (normally rack or half-rack size) takes line input, though. :) ***EDIT*** Oops! UNLESS you're using a "wired" IEM solution...

But that said, just because its's line-level, doesn't necessarily mean the volume will be a given level.

I use IEMs with my 11R - I have Shure E5 earbuds, and originally was using a Shure PSM400 rig, now Sennheiser EW300G3 (which blows the Shures into the weeds). I drive the IEMs using one of the Output to Amp jacks, not the headphone out (my rigs are mono, so there's no point in grabbing a stereo output).

Both the Sennheisers and Shures have\had adjustable input levels to compensate for various input volumes, so just buy IEMs that sound good to you. IEMs are so efficient, and good buds will give you enough isolation that you'll never need to turn your reciever up past about 1/2 anyway - and if you do, you'll be risking pretty severe hearing damage.

But I believe the 65 vs 150 mW outputs is the power of the RADIO transmitter, which will affect their RANGE, not the volume.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 PM

I read where the Eleven Rack sounded bad thru headphones... is this true? Just ordered my Eleven Rack w/PT10 and I usually play thru headphones 99% of the time.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedogs View Post
I read where the Eleven Rack sounded bad thru headphones... is this true? Just ordered my Eleven Rack w/PT10 and I usually play thru headphones 99% of the time.
Nope, it sounds great through headphones. This can depend on the quality of the headphones of course. It can also depend on what kind of rig/preset you are playing through.

For example, if someone setup a rig/preset while playing through a loudspeaker in a very large un-treated room, then that preset may not translate to headphones without some adjustments to some parameters, more than likely you will need some major adjustment of treble and bass.

I make alot of presets through a pair of AT ATH-Pro5 MS headphones, and the presets translate perfectly (for me) when playing through studio monitors, or a PA - even when playing back a recorded track through PC speakers. The phones I use are relatively cheap (usually around $99 to $199), but they work better than other headphones that I have that cost more.

Who is saying that it sounds bad through phones?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Nope, it sounds great through headphones. This can depend on the quality of the headphones of course. It can also depend on what kind of rig/preset you are playing through.

For example, if someone setup a rig/preset while playing through a loudspeaker in a very large un-treated room, then that preset may not translate to headphones without some adjustments to some parameters, more than likely you will need some major adjustment of treble and bass.

I make alot of presets through a pair of AT ATH-Pro5 MS headphones, and the presets translate perfectly (for me) when playing through studio monitors, or a PA - even when playing back a recorded track through PC speakers. The phones I use are relatively cheap (usually around $99 to $199), but they work better than other headphones that I have that cost more.

Who is saying that it sounds bad through phones?
That would be me. But not sure I've exactly said "bad". Certainly could be better, and not something I would use for the most critical listening.

I've certainly criticized the Eleven Rack headphone circuit. It has trouble driving more challenging headphones, like my Sennheiser HD600, and a good quality headphone amp dramatically improves things from my Eleven Rack when used with the HD600. The headphone output that is there is OK, not the best, and a lower impedance output would be nicer. But anyhow I can't imagine using a headphone output for any critical or long-term listening that does not have crossfeed blending. Which is another reason I use a Meier-Audio Corda headphone amp. If its just some late-night quiet practice I have no problem just plugging in the HD600 or other headphones I have laying around.

Darryl
Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That would be me. But not sure I've exactly said "bad". Certainly could be better, and not something I would use for the most critical listening.

I've certainly criticized the Eleven Rack headphone circuit. It has trouble driving more challenging headphones, like my Sennheiser HD600, and a good quality headphone amp dramatically improves things from my Eleven Rack when used with the HD600. The headphone output that is there is OK, not the best, and a lower impedance output would be nicer. But anyhow I can't imagine using a headphone output for any critical or long-term listening that does not have crossfeed blending. Which is another reason I use a Meier-Audio Corda headphone amp. If its just some late-night quiet practice I have no problem just plugging in the HD600 or other headphones I have laying around.

Darryl
Darryl et al:
How about taking the digital out of the 11R into something nice like a Grace headphone amp - nirvana doesn't begin to describe the sound I've gotten in other situations. Then again the Grace ain't cheap either.

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 PM

Default Eleven Rack headphone out

Sure. Grace Headphone amps are great, and they license the cross feed technology from Meir-Audio.

Again the headphone output from the Eleven Rack may be perfectly usable by most folks, but I think it's problematic for really critical listening.

Darryl
Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 PM

I love the way my beyerdynamics sound though my 11r. I have the 80 ohm pair so the 11r easily has enough juice for critical listening.