Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM

Default The studio I work for just bought an avid Artist combo

I come in to work and I find on my desk an Artist control and a 8 fader thing.

Now I feal obligated to learn this probaply useless apparatus.

I dont like controle surfaces because they are usually ill designed and dont care about how the user wants to work. For instance, I wanted a "one fader" unit. You click on a track, you move the fader, done deal move on. The thing I hate the most in the whole world is scroling mixer pages to put un focus the track I have in front of me on the computer screen. That, and trying to guess what "QreFg" means on the tiny lead on top of a fader. Come on, can I just frekin click a track and move the fader plz?... The problem with "elaborate" controle surfaces is that they want you to stop doing things you were allready doing perfectly with the mouse and transfer them to there guizmo, therefore justifying the high price of the the feature full gizmo. At the end of the line, you change your work habits, and you didn't gane anything in terms of rapidity. What's the use of executing commands on the gizmo instead of just doing them with the mouse? The answer is money.

Now I got to find a user manual for the damn thing. I looked around on the net and cant find any. Does anyone know where to find one?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM

I had a 002 and sold it. What I missed most was having to go back to using a mouse. I just bought a mc mix and am glad I did. It really won't take long to figure it out and once you do you will wonder how you for by for so long with out it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Re: The studio I work for just bought an avid Artist combo

Here's the manual for the Artist Mix:
http://connect.euphonix.com/document...Guide_v2_6.pdf

And the manual for the Artist Control:
http://connect.euphonix.com/document...Guide_v2_6.pdf

Personally, I hate to work without a control surface and I do feel that the benefits of hands-on control far outweigh mouse and keyboard control, especially in terms of automation. It just feels so much more musical and organic to move faders than to automate with a mouse. And yes, it helps me work MUCH faster, so no, it's not just about money.

For a single fader control surface, have a look at the Presonus Faderport.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Also watch the videos here when you get a chance. Shows a lot of what you can do with them. I really want to add an artist control someday, but right now I wanted the 8-faders of the mix more.

http://www.soundpure.com/p/euphonix-mc-control/2160

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
At the end of the line, you change your work habits, and you didn't gane anything in terms of rapidity
When I got my first control surface, the clouds parted, sunlight shone down from the heavens upon me, and the angels started singing.

Hundreds of television mixes later I can tell you that there is no question that I'm faster on a surface.

I went from Baby HUI to 003 to Euphonix Artist (before EuCon) to Control|24, back to 003. Looking forward to owning a D-Command when the right project comes. To each his own. Good luck with the new toy. You don't have to use it.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblip2 View Post

I come in to work and I find on my desk an Artist control and a 8 fader thing.

Now I feal obligated to learn this probaply useless apparatus.

I dont like controle surfaces because they are usually ill designed and dont care about how the user wants to work. For instance, I wanted a "one fader" unit. You click on a track, you move the fader, done deal move on. The thing I hate the most in the whole world is scroling mixer pages to put un focus the track I have in front of me on the computer screen. That, and trying to guess what "QreFg" means on the tiny lead on top of a fader. Come on, can I just frekin click a track and move the fader plz?... The problem with "elaborate" controle surfaces is that they want you to stop doing things you were allready doing perfectly with the mouse and transfer them to there guizmo, therefore justifying the high price of the the feature full gizmo. At the end of the line, you change your work habits, and you didn't gane anything in terms of rapidity. What's the use of executing commands on the gizmo instead of just doing them with the mouse? The answer is money.

Now I got to find a user manual for the damn thing. I looked around on the net and cant find any. Does anyone know where to find one?
Yeah. Don't you just hate it when people simply give you over $2,000 worth of equipment. You can always send it my way . All kidding aside, control surfaces are usually a better way to work in a DAW for most people. Since you work in a studio, it would be to your benefit to take the time to learn to use the thing (it looks good on the resume) and you are probably getting paid for the time to learn it. Many of the skills you learn can translate to other work surfaces you may encounter in your career. If nothing else, a sliding fader is a smoother way to adjust levels and automation than a mouse.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1