Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2011, 02:21 AM

Default Waves: Worst vendor for customer relations

Hello All
Just wanted to relay my experiences recently after the theft of one of my iLoks (along with Macbook Pro and audio interfaces).
I registered the iLok stolen with Pace. Got an RMA then proceeded to contact all the vendors of the stolen licenses. Of all those contacted, Waves were appalling. Rather than be positive, helpful and empathic as all other vendors were, they chose to turn it into a sales opportunity. They wouldn't replace my lost licences but would offer a discounted upgrade to a more expensive bundle. I tried to explain that it was in my nature (and I'm sure many other users) to be loyal and appreciative when someone helps me when in need of support, and as such, I would be very likely to buy more Waves products having had that support. This concept hit a brick wall but did result in offers of other expensive bundles. Of course they wanted to sell me insurance too. Their complete ignorance to human nature has cost them my future business, which would have been substantial had they shown the same support as other vendors.
So, I now do not use Waves products whatsoever and will vigorously seek and promote alternatives.
BE AWARE: if you are unfortunate enough to be robbed, Waves are THE ONLY vendor so unethical that they will try and capitalise on your misery.
On a lighter note, Soundtoys were as brilliant as their products. There was absolutely no fuss - just an empathic message and a trouble free replacement. Avid were good too, though a little harder to contact. Antares charged an administration fee which was a little disappointing and slightly tainted my opinion, but not nearly to the degree of contempt I have for Waves.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Waves: Worst vendor for customer relations

Sorry about the theft... theft sucks!
Did Apple give you a new laptop?
This is why you get insurance for replacement value on software too. Saves the hassle of trying to get licenses back.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 AM

Not to mention that Waves is the only vendor to have something in place for a few years now to protect you in case of theft.. were you enrolled in TLC?

Waves is a good company that offered you something when they did not have to. You choose to see it as a slight. So be it..

Theft sucks, but there is more than one way to protect yourself with Waves. TLC or Insurance. Sounds like you had neither and are blaming Waves for it.

Good luck.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:45 AM

I will never buy a ford again. When my truck was stolen they tried to up sell me on another more expensive model. They did offer a discount but by that time I was already disgusted with them.
From now on I will not recommend anyone buy a ford.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Andy. Hope you get it sorted. It doesn't help now, of course, but TLC is free if you have WUP with 6 months or more remaining.

And guys, please don't compare software licenses to hardware, be it Apple or Ford. Apples to Apples, right?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM

OK. Let's try and dumb it down for those unable to grasp the concept that software and hardware are different. I have masses of software that I have paid thousands of £££ for over the years. Masses of it, most of it requiring some form of licensing or registration.
The ONLY software that can be stolen from me is that from Waves. EVERY other piece of software on that machine was simply reinstalled and re-registered/authorised, EXCEPT WAVES. EVERY other piece of software that carried its license on the stolen iLok was cheerfully replaced by the vendor, EXCEPT WAVES.
It's not a difficult concept to grasp. I own the license, legally. Still do. If Waves were based in the UK they would be in a poor legal position to try justify this.
And using it as a sales opportunity is sickening.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 PM

Okay, let's say you have a boxed version of MS Office. Before you get home to install it, someone steals it from your car. Will Microsoft give you another copy of Office free?

Luckily, most plug in manufacturers will step up and help you out. Waves gives you the heads up that they will not help you out and gives you a choice to protect yourself.

Not trying to defend Waves too much here, I've had problems with WUP in the past... just saying you need to protect your investments.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:12 PM

Again, not a valid analogy. The physical medium that the software exists on has little value. The rights (license) is what you essentially purchased. If your office software is stolen from your car prior to you installing/registering then, obviously, that is entirely out of Microsoft's control. Had you installed it and had an online record that you owned the license (as with Pace/iLok account) you would have no issue with Microsoft and vice versa. You still own the rights of use of the software, Microsoft will happily acknowledge.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Not to mention that Waves is the only vendor to have something in place for a few years now to protect you in case of theft.. were you enrolled in TLC?

Waves is a good company that offered you something when they did not have to. You choose to see it as a slight. So be it..

Theft sucks, but there is more than one way to protect yourself with Waves. TLC or Insurance. Sounds like you had neither and are blaming Waves for it.

Good luck.

Thats like saying it is YOUR fault when someone steals stuff out of your car because you forgot to lock the doors. Or its the rape victims fault because they were wearing revealing clothing. Truly appalling opinion.

Its like paying for insurance for packages you mail, they ask if I would like to protect the package for another $10. and I say, Well what the hell am i paying for already! For you to break the contents of the package! Of course i pay the extra because there is no choice, but its still bull[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep].

To OP, check out the plugs by Brainworx and SPL, really great stuff.

http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugins
http://www.spl.info/index.php?id=331&L=1

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post

Thats like saying it is YOUR fault when someone steals stuff out of your car because you forgot to lock the doors. Or its the rape victims fault because they were wearing revealing clothing. Truly appalling opinion.

Uhhh... I don't know how you got that from what I wrote.. I never said anything remotely like that.

What I said was, (and the OP refuses to accept), was that Waves had a process of protection in place that was/is well-known. It's a process that works and protects all parties.

Just because some software vendors gave the guy new licenses doesn't mean that they were required to. I'm quite suprised that he got what he did. ost stories I've heard have the developers telling folks to pound sand.

I think if you were to read your EULA for all of the software you paid for you would find that most if not all state in the boilerplate that you are not purchasing the software, just a right to USE it at the software developers convenience. Any number of things/situations/occurances can (and sometimes do) negate that right. So when you are installing a given piece of software and you click on I AGREE at the begining., you are agreeing to that arrangement..

Aside from what the software developers do, most folks on here that take this seriously have covered their licenses in their business or homeowners insurance in case something like this happens.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!