Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Creating a session template in XP

hello

we just upgraded to an HD ACCEL 2 Windows XP system from a Macintosh system. The problem we are having is we cannot create a session template that works the same way that they work on Mac's. We created a master session file, opened the Properties, and made it READ-ONLY with ARCHIVE deselected.

We then opened the session and when we went to SAVE the session for the first time, the dialog window opened to give the session a new name and select where to save it to. Once we did that we worked as we always have, recording new audio and creating fade files.

Then we closed the session and opened Windows explorer and noticed that Protools did not create unique Audio and Fade file folders for the session. Protools had put all of the audio and fades into one set of folders for all of the sessions we created.

Is there a way to make a Protools Session Template in Windows XP that works the same way they work in Macintosh where when you create the session from the template, a Folder is created with the Session, Audio Files, and Fade Files inside?

Thank you for you help

Anthony Renda
Old 06-18-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Creating a session template in XP

I've not used a Mac for this, and several years ago gave up on trying to figure it out. My method is that I have a folder where I create template folders. Each folder has a generic name; eg, the folder 32t24b44kDrums is 32 tracks, 24 bit & 44.1khz session with 8 tracks labelled for drums. These folders often have special folders in them, eg 'Audio Files Test Tones' includes a variety of sine and noise files at various levels, all lined up in a track in the session to make it easy to grab.

I copy that folder, then rename the folder, paste the same name into the pts file. It's so simple, it wasn't worth messing with the system outlined in the manual.

One caveat: older versions of Protools automatically looked in the current folder (where you selected the pts file to open) to find audio files, etc. Now (at least with 6.7), you have to go through the [Digibase?] file finding process. I wish there was a setting that allowed a default to assume that the current folder is where to look for all files, and only require the link/commit routine if the files are not found in the session folder. This is especailly annoying because I often transfer session folders to a new drive, place on a drive, or move to another computer, and it is annoying to have to go throught this every time. If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:32 PM

This was one of my huge complaints re: parity in x-platform.

Workaround?
Sort of...
Save Session Copy In after opening the template, choosing to save/copy ALL materials in session, exactly as if one were doing a copy of a session for archiving, removeable media for transport, etc.
Yeppers, it sux to have to do it this way, especially if one has had years of habit forming work on another plaform.

Thankfully, most other x-plat parity issues have been resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:36 PM

I personally use Import Session Data... create a template and then create a new session and import the tracks from the template. I use this method on both platforms.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-18-2005, 08:49 PM

I second Rail's method. It works as expected with no surprises on where your audio went to.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-20-2005, 10:33 PM

With my method I kind of 'trick' protools.
Firstly I create my template on a firewire drive that is NEVER used on the system.(I use the one for my laptop).
Then I copy the template that I have created onto my desktop. When I start a new session I copy the template from my desktop onto my 'working drive' and open it. Because protools cannot find the original drive that the template was created on (remember, because the fire wire drive is never connected) , it prompts you with the new disk allocation, which defaults to the folder and drive that the template is in.
Its a bit of a pain when you are developing a good template, but when you work out your template, its great that protools always prompts you with the disk-allocation so you can check it.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:11 AM

Another way to accomplish that, I believe, is to rename your templates folder before opening a 'copied' file from the same machine. When making a new template or updating an existing one, it all happens in the folder 'ProtoolsTemplates'. The rest of the time (when copying and renaming a template for use), that folder may be renamed 'ProtoolsTemplatesss'. This should force the copy to lose track of the original allocation, but not require using a separate drive to do so.

I haven't tried RJR's method yet. Still, it would be nice to have a program option to 'assume' the folder from which a session was run to be both where to look for existing material and where to put new data. I think that would settle the template use issue, and also make moving a session simpler.