Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 AM

Default Scale an automation lane?

I would like to make a selection on an automation lane, Pan for instance, and keep the written automation but scale it by 50%.

Say I receive a post mix and the front back automation is too aggressive on a particular track. I'd like to select the front back pan automation lane and hold a modifier key and drag mouse down to scale position of the break points. Keeping the intent but decreasing the range of the movement.

It this possible now?
Or do I need to go to IdeaScale?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Scale an automation lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theom View Post
I would like to make a selection on an automation lane, Pan for instance, and keep the written automation but scale it by 50%.

Say I receive a post mix and the front back automation is too aggressive on a particular track. I'd like to select the front back pan automation lane and hold a modifier key and drag mouse down to scale position of the break points. Keeping the intent but decreasing the range of the movement.

It this possible now?
Or do I need to go to IdeaScale?
hi, are you speaking about TRIM Automation ?? it is there if you have PTHD ... not part of the Non-HD version ... or not yet !!! i still hold hope that we will receive all PT software features in all versions ...

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-15-2016, 10:54 AM

You can use the All group, then reveal the automation lanes (easiest with Cntrl-command, left/right arrows). Go to just after the session end, and pull down all the automation using the Trim tool. On PTHD, just use Read + Trim and coalesce the changes to the tracks.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan2006 View Post
You can use the All group, then reveal the automation lanes (easiest with Cntrl-command, left/right arrows). Go to just after the session end, and pull down all the automation using the Trim tool. On PTHD, just use Read + Trim and coalesce the changes to the tracks.
This is what I do currently, JoHan.

What I'd like is something like the clip gain up down by .5dB increments.
there is a keyboard shortcut for that. Control+Shift + up or down arrow.
I'd like it if this same key command worked for whatever automation lane is showing.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:58 PM

Been searching around for this.. Can't believe either I can't find it, or it doesn't exist. Working on a long show that was cut in Premier with a LOT of volume automation exported to me in the OMF on the music track. All I want to do is scale it to make the moves less drastic. i.e. 'compress/expand automation points by 20%' or ' raise all points lower than xx dB up by 20%'. OR..even better, a Horizontal Selection tool that will allow you to select all automation points above/below the line, then, once selected, lets you just grab and raise/lower ALL the points at the same time.

Is there really no way to do this????
Here's a screen shot of a real world example. I just want to raise all the 'bottom' automation points up to decrease the range of these music spikes that happen in-between the VO spots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 9.00.50 PM.jpg (27.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by DaveGross; 10-30-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: clarification added
Old 10-30-2017, 10:11 PM

If there's a way, I'd like to know too.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGross View Post
Been searching around for this.. Can't believe either I can't find it, or it doesn't exist. Working on a long show that was cut in Premier with a LOT of volume automation exported to me in the OMF on the music track. All I want to do is scale it to make the moves less drastic. i.e. 'compress/expand automation points by 20%' or ' raise all points lower than xx dB up by 20%'. OR..even better, a Horizontal Selection tool that will allow you to select all automation points above/below the line, then, once selected, lets you just grab and raise/lower ALL the points at the same time.

Is there really no way to do this????
Here's a screen shot of a real world example. I just want to raise all the 'bottom' automation points up to decrease the range of these music spikes that happen in-between the VO spots.
hi Dave, i will take a look later but with the Pencil tool do anything like you are asking ???

cheers john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-31-2017, 05:02 PM

For the shows I mix I convert volume automation to clip gain, then I use the automation lanes to scale sections. You need HD to do this. I'm used to Digital Performer where I can just highlight a section of automation and add or subtract volume. I'd like to see the same editing that's in the clip gain available in the automation lanes too
Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrecord View Post
For the shows I mix I convert volume automation to clip gain, then I use the automation lanes to scale sections. You need HD to do this. I'm used to Digital Performer where I can just highlight a section of automation and add or subtract volume. I'd like to see the same editing that's in the clip gain available in the automation lanes too
yes, that would be great .. i do not wish to Separate a Clip to be able to have the automation behave like that ..

ideascale it !!!

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-01-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
yes, that would be great .. i do not wish to Separate a Clip to be able to have the automation behave like that ..

ideascale it !!!
And hopefully in the next 5 yrs or so....