Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Have there ever been any Major CD releases w/

I still find it interesting that people have made album recorded on an LE system. even if they take it to professional mixing studio where they have the latest HD rig. it wsa still recorded on an LE system with added pre amps etc.

If i was recording my latest album on an LE rig i would mix as much of it a home and then send it off to a mastering(mixing) house.

Even If it was a HD rig i was recording on i would still send it off to another studio to mix down and master for me.

so i think albums that were recorded on LE system and sent off to other bigger studio to be mixed is still pretty good.

just my 2cents
Old 09-12-2005, 08:19 AM

LE is darn good software.

Its just not usually the format of choice at major label studios, although A LOT of editing is done on LE.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:53 AM

I hear more and more about le systems being used by big artists during the creation process. Many folks are taking a portable rig usually with an mbox or 002R on the road with them to track ideas that will later be done in a big house.

I have also heard of some session musicians tracking their stuff in home with an le rig across the country and sending it off to be mixed in with the actual session.

Christian
Old 09-12-2005, 02:05 PM

Things are just evolving so much people are starting to realize the displacement in their budgets.
Labels recoup so they don't mind throwing money away, but where to find a good room and good engineer will be changing more and more in the years to come and people will use the majors less and less.
People use to book a room for a month, people use to book a room for a week, people use to book a room for a day, now it may be an 8 hour block with some BS thrown in for filler to make it work out to be a day.
The more effective work you can do before going the less time you will need, make their effective market change dramatically.

He my position on the entire LE vs HDvs other DAW's, if LE honestly doesn't meet your needs then it simply means that your position in the business should easily allow you to move up to what you need.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:02 PM

I love LE, no doubt about it. I don't really care for any of the LE Hardware too much though, thats just a personal thing. I do get to use a HD rig often at my school and enjoy it as a multi-track editor very much. It's sound is very musical too. Maybe thats what spoiled me?! I've recently started using an RME Fireface and since then - my 002r has been getting dusty. Bummer I can't use other audio interfaces with LE, as it's my first choice for software.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Have there ever been any Major CD releases w/ LE?

Quote:
John Mayer tracked his first album on his 002 as I read somewhere. Then mixed it in the big studio.

Doc
Mayer didn't track his album on his 002. He uses it on the road (as many have mentioned before) to track ideas and sometimes record shows, but most of his album tracks are done on HD. There is one song floating around though that was recorded and mixed entirely in LE. The song is called "Tracing" and it's excellent. Not only is the song itself great, but the mix is fantastic as well. However, there are some parts that made it to the final mix of Heavier Things that were taken from their demos done on LE. Namely, the lead guitar line in "Bigger Than My Body" was done on the 002.

Interesting sidenote: Mayer's favorite reverb is D-Verb. His engineer and friend (avid PT user, can't for the life of me think of his name) uses D-Verb in Mayer's in-ear mix. Mayer loves the way it makes his voice sound.

Eless
Old 09-12-2005, 09:21 PM

The last Cake CD was done on a 001 and some of Scott's vocal parts for Velvet Revolver's debut album were done with a 002 at his house (b/c he was still under house arrest).

rockrev
Old 09-13-2005, 09:32 AM

columbia released a remix i just did of vivian green "i like it" which is charting in billboard's dance charts, the JS remix of "Girl" by Destiny's Child on Columdia, my remix of "Heaven" by Mary Mary and "talkin About" by Amerie where all recorded and mixed in the box using a 002...

Joe Smooth
Old 09-13-2005, 03:22 PM

I don't know what's meant by "major", number of units sold? If we're just talking about quality, this is a major album IMO done with the 001:

El-P - Fantastic Damage

Label: Definitive Jux
Catalog#: DJX027-2
Format: CD
Released: 14 May 2002
Genre: Hip Hop
Style:
Credits: Producer - EL-P
Scratches - DJ Abilities
Notes: All songs written & produced by El-P.
All turntables operated by DJ Abilities.
All songs recorded & mixed by NASA & El-P at Definitive Jux Studios.

This album was produced using:
- 1 Ensoniq EPS 16+ Sampling Keyboard
- 2 Technics 1200 Turntables
- 1 Vestax 07 Mixer
- 1 Korg Chaoss Pad
- 2 Shure needles
- 1 Oberheim OB12
- 1 Magnus Electric Organ
- 1 Pro Tools Digi 001 System

----------

Unrelated, damn I hate the Black Eyed Peas.....WEAK.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:44 AM

I know cake did everything on a rickety LE system for their last album - having never been at the helm of any of their previous recordings they relied on their ignorance and resourcefulness (plus hired a couple of experienced folks during different stages of their recording project. The question is kinda strange - I'm sure a ton of successful artists out there do a lot of their work on things like an 002 then take it elsewhere to mix and so forth... Then again, that's been the way to do things for years - If I recall correctly a band called David and David (Welcome to the Boomtown) recorded everything on a 4 track and then finished it in a bigger environment.