Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2001, 02:14 AM

Default Alternative to the VIA?

So, since Digidesign seems to hate the Via chipnet, I need recommendations on an alternative. I ended up getitng a VIA-based MB for my computer because there was no other MB at the time with a different chipset.

My requirements are:

Slot-1 PIII (I refuse to waste my current processor)

PC-133 DIMM slots

_NO_ built-in video or audio

AGP video slot

5 or 6 PCI slots. ISA not necessary.

Does such a beast exist? From what I remember, all MBs were either PPGA instead of Slot1, or had an Intel chipset with built-in video if it wasn't a VIA.

~Chris
Old 02-01-2001, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Alternative to the VIA?

Quote:
Originally posted by aspect:
So, since Digidesign seems to hate the Via chipnet, I need recommendations on an alternative. I ended up getitng a VIA-based MB for my computer because there was no other MB at the time with a different chipset.

My requirements are:

Slot-1 PIII (I refuse to waste my current processor)

PC-133 DIMM slots

_NO_ built-in video or audio

AGP video slot

5 or 6 PCI slots. ISA not necessary.

Does such a beast exist? From what I remember, all MBs were either PPGA instead of Slot1, or had an Intel chipset with built-in video if it wasn't a VIA.

~Chris
Never mind the onboard capability's of integrated audio/Video on 815 boards... You simply turn it off in BIOS and I assure you'll have NO problems... stick with Asus or Abit...!

Old 02-01-2001, 02:05 PM

Have a look at the Asus P3B F, its a 440BX slot1 board, definitly worth a look!
Old 02-01-2001, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by smit1_uk:
Have a look at the Asus P3B F, its a 440BX slot1 board, definitly worth a look!
the 440BX chipset doesn't support 133 bus speed.
Old 02-01-2001, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aspect:
the 440BX chipset doesn't support 133 bus speed.
Actually some 440BX boards do like the Abit BX133 and SE6.. however those are fcpga-boards.. but check out the Abit SH6 it's an Slot1 815chipset 133Mhhz 4xAGP mobo with ATA100 onboard... (it do have both audio and video onboard but you can easily completly disable both in BIOS)
http://www.abit.com.tw/english/produ...boards/sh6.htm

[This message has been edited by Xman (edited February 01, 2001).]
Old 02-01-2001, 11:05 PM

before you invest, i would wait at least a little while. VIA sometime in the last three or so months released a new driver called (i beleive) the 4 in 1 driver, and from what i understand was this resolved many/most of the problems via faced with many computer components. I have read folks on this board that have had no problem with their via board with both amd, or intel cpu's. I would actually try downloading the latest via drivers, and possibly even bios flash update. I would then try again with pt le.

The reason I say to wait, is anyday now digi may update their compatability doc's for pt5.1 release. I mean I just bought an asus board, and amd chip, and will be testing it starting next wed with pt le.

Good luck
Christian
Old 02-02-2001, 12:21 AM

That Abit SH6 looks like exactly what I need! Thanks a lot for that heads up.

I've had other problems with the Via Chipset before, so I've never been happy with it, but felt stuck because I had the investment in the CPU.

I will keep a lookout for new compatibility info and new VIA drivers, though, since my current installation of Windows seems much more stable, though the free version of Pro Tools crashed my whole system. I had to uninstall it, since it was causing lockups just be being installed! Ugh.

~Chris
Old 02-02-2001, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xman:
Never mind the onboard capability's of integrated audio/Video on 815 boards... You simply turn it off in BIOS and I assure you'll have NO problems... stick with Asus or Abit...!
I think the last time I looked was pre-815, so all I had to choose was the 810, none of which even had an AGP slot. So the 815-based boards do?

Just checked the asus website. They have no motherboards that support slot-1, 133 mhz bus without the VIA chipset. All the 815-based boards have the PGA CPU connectors.

Checking motherboards.com (which is where I ended up when I tried abit.com) showed the same thing for abit motherboards.

This sucks. Looks like I either give up on Pro Tools or waste my CPU.

~Chris

[This message has been edited by aspect (edited February 01, 2001).]