Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Default HD native tracking question

Hi all,

Anyone here tracking up to 8 channels with eq/comp plugins on insert without latency issues with HD native? I know it's a piece of cake with my older HD system but can native pull this off?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM

Default Re: HD native tracking question

EASILY.

My 6 year old single processor 2.8 Mac Pro can do way more than that.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/pro-t...ve-can-do.html

Check out this thread. Lots of great info there.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Straightforward tracking of bands isn't a problem on HD Native. Overdubbing vocals or other instruments on a VI-heavy or near-master session is nothing short of a pain in the anus though.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:17 PM

Awesome. I'll need to actually track up to 8 channels of dialog for post. Sounds like it is not an issue. This helps a lot. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Straightforward tracking of bands isn't a problem on HD Native. Overdubbing vocals or other instruments on a VI-heavy or near-master session is nothing short of a pain in the anus though.
That's exactly my fear. Native = scary for many of us.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:59 AM

This may be much better in PT11.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 PM

Well, overdubbing onto a mix with a lot of VI's and plug ins is a problem in all DAWs. It doesn't matter how fast or stable the system...unless you use entirely low latency plug ins, you will have a latency issue to contend with. Irrespective of converters and buffers, a lot of the tools we use are subject to latency and you can't get around it. In fact HDN is perhaps better than TDM in this respect (if you have a processor fast enough to run the lowest buffer even under load) because the TDM mixer incurs a latency when it transfers audio back and forth from the host (which it will almost certainly need to do with a VI). Obviously how much latency bothers you is a personal issue. For me, I tend to print VI's fairly quickly, and if I'm overdubbing onto a late stage production with a lot of stuff going on, I print it, turn everything off, do my overdubs and turn everything back on. It was the same with HD3.

HD Native is capable of remarkable performance. It's very exciting to see how PT11 will affect PT as a whole.

J
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk View Post
Hi all,

Anyone here tracking up to 8 channels with eq/comp plugins on insert without latency issues with HD native? I know it's a piece of cake with my older HD system but can native pull this off?
It really depends on which eqs and comps you want to use. You could track 64 channels using Channel Strip/Equality, or other plugs that aren't so processor heavy. But get into the multi band/retro/nonlin or just plain badly coded stuff, and even 1 track can be hard at a low buffer.

Just as an example: I just set up a 50 track session, last 42 tracks with noise on them, 1st 8 to record on. All 50 have a Channel Strip and an Equality plugin. Also made 2 auxes with Dverbs.
Recorded 8 tracks at a 32 buffer showing 35% processor usage. System delay shows 65 samples.

Same Session and I swapped the Equalities for WavesVEQ4s and The Channel Strips for WavesC6s, and finally the Dverbs for Altiverbs.
Processor usuage jumped to 70% and system delay is 161 samples. (I honestly thought this would throw an error, but it hung in there). If I try to edit the plugin while in playback, things can get ugly though.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 PM

Thanks! I'd probably use the Digi rack plugins. So it's Sounds like I'll be ok. I've been looking for a room in LA running native to check it out but no one has shared any info.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
It really depends on which eqs and comps you want to use. You could track 64 channels using Channel Strip/Equality, or other plugs that aren't so processor heavy. But get into the multi band/retro/nonlin or just plain badly coded stuff, and even 1 track can be hard at a low buffer.
Definitely. Even from the same companies cpu usage of similar plugs varies greatly. Native Instrument's Manley emulations are processor hogs but use NI's SSL emulations and the cpu usage drops by half.

QAPLA!