Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Default Pro Tools Completely Stopped Working!! (big gig coming up... desperately need help)

Hey everyone, I just found this forum and was very relieved to see an official digi forum for my emergency, which I can hopefully get answered before Monday when the digi hotline is open.

Recently I started trying to run Pro Tools 6.9.2 on my computer and every time I clicked the icon on the dock, the icon bounced but didn't load. I was confused so I decided to re-install the program. I totally F-ed myself doing this, however, because I don't have the disc that updates from 6.4 to 6.7. You need at least 6.7 to upgrade to 6.9.2.

That doesn't matter either right now, though, because no matter which version I install (in this case, 6.0... I also tried the 6.1 CD) it does the same thing. Try to open it, but nothing happens. Just a bouncing icon on the dock which soon acts as if it had never been pressed. I've tried deleting everything digi related from the computer and freshly re-install it (including deleting it in the Application support menu). Still no luck.

Okay, so the question is: A) why is it doing this and how do you cleanly erase all traces of Pro Tools on your computer for a fresh re-installing and B) WHERE THE #%&*%$ DO YOU GET AN UPDATE FROM VERSIONS 6.4 to 6.7?! I've looked everwhere and this search is infuriating me. It's the only upgrade CD I don't have... must have lost it when I was moving or something.

My gig is this wednesday. I need my rig fixed ASAP. Please, any knowledgeable pro-toolers out there, save my skin!!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Completely Stopped Working!! (big gig coming up... desperately need hel

you have not given nearly enough info to get a solid answer. Start by going to the Compatibility&Upgrades link near the top of this page and find the grid that shows which versions of Pro Tools will work with your version of OSX. Then hit these 2 threads:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193636
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=54888
If you are still against the wall, come back here and include the info folks need to have a shot at helping.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Completely Stopped Working!! (big gig coming up... desperately need hel

6.9.2 was the first Tiger release and i could never get it to work on a powerbook.

If you have an intel mac then you need at at least Pro Tools 7.1.1.

If you have Leopard then you need at least Pro Tools 7.4.2.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
you have not given nearly enough info to get a solid answer. Start by going to the Compatibility&Upgrades link near the top of this page and find the grid that shows which versions of Pro Tools will work with your version of OSX. Then hit these 2 threads:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193636
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=54888
If you are still against the wall, come back here and include the info folks need to have a shot at helping.
Mac OSX version 10.4.11 (Tiger), G5 1.8 dual processor... using a Digi 002 Rack, which came with a CD for Pro Tools LE 6.0 AND 6.1. I've tried installing both of these. Originally they worked for when I used OSX 10.3.x, and I'm not sure if they work on 10.4.11. But even 6.9.2 stopped working on my OSX version, which is why I'm confused. NO VERSION WORKS. (and I don't have the necissary upgrade package to get back to at least 6.7 and, thus, upgrade back to 6.9.2)

If you need more info then this let me know... this is about as thorough as I can get. I really think there's a trace of the old, corrupted Pro Tools on my hard drive that's remnants are preventing me from making a clean install.

(One side note: I did get it to at least START booting on 6.0, but it gave me a DAE 1092 error... this is really infuriating)
Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 AM

If I were you I'd just upgrade to 7.4. $150 and your upgrade problem is solved. You lost the 6.4 upgrade, so you're out of luck, I think. I'm sure Digi can get you new discs, but probably not soon enough. The 7.4 upgrade is Tiger compatible, and you can download it. It is also waaaay better then 6.

As far as what happened in the first place, it is hard to say. Did you do any OS upgrade or install any other software before it stopped working?

Good luck,

Mike
Old 04-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Okay, so I took Mike's advice and bought Pro Tools 7.4... $150 further into my budget, but whatever... now I can upgrade to Pro Tools 8 eventually too. For free. That's a plus.

Okay, so now I install Pro Tools 7.4. And guess what? NOTHING WORKS STILL! I load up the icon, it process the program boot-up, and then it gives me a "Pro Tools has unexpectedly quit" error. Every time. This is exactly what it was doing on 6.9.2. So it has nothing to do with OS compadibility. It has something to do with an old dysfunctional installation haunting my mac, I think.

I'm really worried. NOTHING WORKS, even when I bought the latest version of Pro Tools. I'm seriously worried now. What the hell is this all about?!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Drastic measures are called for, back up your drive and reformat, if your gig is that important, I wouldn't think twice, this is why you should have a dedicated drive for PT and only PT or audio only, so if you have an issue like this it's time to start from scratch and don't look back
Old 05-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Guys - I'm also having problems with this - not sure if there's anyone still out there on this thread though?

I think the problem is that going up to 7.4.2 requires OSX 10.5+ rather than the 10.4.11 that you (and I) have...

So what do we do - I can't seem to find out how to buy 7.4 without 7.4.2.

It just seems so bloody complicated - I upgraded my OSX for my new itouch and since then haven't been able to make a single tune (8 months)
Old 05-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Read and understand the OSX compatibility grid. Buy a separate FW HD, install a fresh OSX onto that one. Install a fresh Protools app inside the new OSX. Copy all your plugins over from your old OSX drive. That will allow you to work.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:04 PM

Not sure if etiquette is to say thanks - but thanks, much appreciated, I will give it a go