Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 05-11-2011, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Why on earth we cannot use generic midi controllers to control plugin?

Meanwhile, I've determined that I'm able to control AIR VI parameters via generic MIDI CC. Is that different from what you're asking for?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Why on earth we cannot use generic midi controllers to control plugin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroNEe View Post
So Avid ripped off the UI of Logic??? Logic is a very powerful DAW, but the UI is why I will never use it. I must say I am not following you with that "Logic"
oh yes, .. the LOGIC is ILLOGIC joke that every pro tools user and his mother thinks is original.

pro tools 8/9 came out with the split screen being able to use midi on the botton.. and everything else included "NEW " in the pto tools 9 update..
i went to the avid presentation and every NEW feature i was like... LOGIC has THAT already and so on for everything "NEW"

not saying logic is original as it also ripped it off from other DAWs.

also not saying its bad.. if it works its good.

logic is also great under the hood but the new GUI is not that bad imo. better than having like 7 windows open or keycommand for the windows.
for me at least.

as long its not the stupid itunes look a like windows now every [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] new software is trying to imitate. (non daw)
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The EuCon protocol allow manufacturers to implement whatever controls they wish over a plug-in. All plug-ins (that I've used) already have their parameters mapped to controls in EuCon - so I'm a little unclear why you would want MIDI control separately.

Can you give me an example where EuCon doesn't already control a parameter in a plug-in? Or a case where you'd need to map outside of EuCon?
oh my GOODDDD

EUcon is worst piece of crap for controlling plugins. to be fair.. its as crappy as anything out there so it evens out

yes, you can spend a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOO...

wait .. im trying to make it a dramatic long statement..

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

time setting up plugins to work with it. each plugin is different right?
how many plyugin there are in the market...?
vst to rats plugins work?

how long to switch form plugin to plugin?

how would you control expression on LASS, eastwest and other orchestral related sample instruments?
and also control midi volume, filter cutoff, resonance, and other CC ?
all while being able to switch back to controlling effects parameters,
and volume pan/HUI things.. ??
yes,,. please tell what does EUCON Lack,.. maybe i sold it prematurley ?

wait.. i can tell how long it takes with ABleton LIVE and ANY controller...

2 FU K I N G MOUSE CLICKS!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM

well I will give you the Windows totally ripped of Mac, you know gadgets and widgets just are not the same thing

But, Pro Tools was a audio program that gradually embraced midi through the years, and it still needs work. So maybe I have not used other DAWs enough to get what you are saying. I do not see how you could have a midi editor that isn't much the same as others. Can you give a example of a DAW that is totally different as far as having a split screen or a midi editor window open up? Maybe I need to go see some screen shots of logic to figure out why you think they copied Logic, I don't think Apple is very forgiving when it comes to other companies infringing on there products, They are suing Samsung for there Android line of phones for being to much like the UI of the iPhone and IOS. I played with one and it is similar in a way, but I would never pick it over the iPhone as of now, someone will make a new product that will take over the iPhone but for now, the UI is so much better then anything else out there. HTC, Samsung, and others are putting out some cool smart phones but I still like the overall experience and ease of use of Apples IOS devices, they nailed it. And Apple buys most of its LCD screens from Samsung, they are Samsungs #2 buyer. That makes it even crazier for the lawsuit.....

But back to Logic, isn't it supposed to be a far superior midi editor then PT? I think that was its foundation like Cubase correct? I am not arguing any point, more just trying to understand how the two compare, because I really did not like the feel of Logic. It felt cheesy to me, but I don't like any other DAW that I have used, I am trying to make myself use Reaper more so I can benefit from the 64 bit memory addressing and very efficient CPU use. Shane said to wait for version 4, so if he says that I can't wait. But I would be hard pressed to not use PT at all, I guess I am just stubborn, and it is still expected for a studio to have a Pro Tools rig. It's always a question that people ask when they call to ask about rates. I will look on Apples site at the latest version of logic and see if I can get what you are getting at. I do not care really, but I just find it curious as I was really turned off by its UI. To each his own I guess, but I think one of the things that makes me stay with PT is the layout of the mixer, and the colors they use. Easy on the eyes for long sessions. Try 10 hours on Cubase.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
oh yes, .. the LOGIC is ILLOGIC joke that every pro tools user and his mother thinks is original.

pro tools 8/9 came out with the split screen being able to use midi on the botton.. and everything else included "NEW " in the pto tools 9 update..
i went to the avid presentation and every NEW feature i was like... LOGIC has THAT already and so on for everything "NEW"

not saying logic is original as it also ripped it off from other DAWs.

also not saying its bad.. if it works its good.

logic is also great under the hood but the new GUI is not that bad imo. better than having like 7 windows open or keycommand for the windows.
for me at least.

as long its not the stupid itunes look a like windows now every [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] new software is trying to imitate. (non daw)
I really loath Itunes....... Thats what sucks about Apple's IOS devices, you have to use that piece of crap to backup and sync everything. I really really hate Itunes......

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 05-12-2011, 03:06 PM

I hate to hear that, I really like the look and size of it. I have a very small control room. I have not got my hands on one but as small as it is I can see it feeling cheap. That sucks. I was going to sell my 003 after I get it repaired, but for now it looks to be the best controller that size for PT. And why the hell can't you yous another interface and aggregate it when you have a Digi/Avid interface? Is there a technical reason or some stupid decision some tie wearing organism in a meeting said we are going to limit our loyal hardware users by taking away a big bonus item of 9?

Quote:
oh my GOODDDD

EUcon is worst piece of crap for controlling plugins. to be fair.. its as crappy as anything out there so it evens out

yes, you can spend a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOO...

wait .. im trying to make it a dramatic long statement..

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

time setting up plugins to work with it. each plugin is different right?
how many plyugin there are in the market...?
vst to rats plugins work?

how long to switch form plugin to plugin?

how would you control expression on LASS, eastwest and other orchestral related sample instruments?
and also control midi volume, filter cutoff, resonance, and other CC ?
all while being able to switch back to controlling effects parameters,
and volume pan/HUI things.. ??
yes,,. please tell what does EUCON Lack,.. maybe i sold it prematurley ?

wait.. i can tell how long it takes with ABleton LIVE and ANY controller...

2 FU K I N G MOUSE CLICKS!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroNEe View Post
I hate to hear that, I really like the look and size of it. I have a very small control room. I have not got my hands on one but as small as it is I can see it feeling cheap. That sucks. I was going to sell my 003 after I get it repaired, but for now it looks to be the best controller that size for PT. And why the hell can't you yous another interface and aggregate it when you have a Digi/Avid interface? Is there a technical reason or some stupid decision some tie wearing organism in a meeting said we are going to limit our loyal hardware users by taking away a big bonus item of 9?
dont get me wrong. if you only need to mix then imo this eucon looks very pro for small studios.
and you should look in gearslutz the pix of studios that hook like 4 in series in a custom desk which looks very pro : )
as i dont have clients coming in, and directlink is actually very good.. minus the crappy plastic faders.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:46 PM

I wonder if you cold replace the fader caps and rotary encoders with Digi ones. I know you used to be able to get the fader caps from Avid, wonder if you could put the mushroom knobs on it. Other then that and the wheel that looks cheap the thing looks sweet!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:06 PM

nope. those are pretty solid. they actually looks cool .

the unit imo looks very cool and does what its suppose to do very well..

mix 8 tracks in a HUI like form.

but thats it.

dont use it for midi cc, controlling plugins , etc etc ..

it sucks for anything else.

if i was behringer i would update that bc2000 mixer to be a eucon look-a-like.

for the price it should be.. $150-300 range.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:42 PM

I have seen some nice "poor mans MC5-MC wannabe set ups, I am really hopeful that third party plug ins will use the protocol more and more, its not Avid, every plug in company can make there plugs Eucon compatible, I think Waves and a few others already are, but don't take that as fact, I have not looked it up. The thing that really troughs me is all the Avid videos are using Logic as the DAW to show all the features. This leads me to believe that it is not quiet as in depth with Pro Tools, because why would they be using Logic to show off the units, even the high end stuff is demoed with logic on the avid TV videos. I find that very odd. The touch screen and macro assignable buttons is what stands out for me. But I have made my choice to get my 003 fixed, I was given a range of $250 to $400 to fix the firewire from a Avid authorized repair center. So I will end up using it until the software stops supporting it, and I think that will be several years off. It is a great controller, it's no Icon but it has many of the meat and potato edit features as the large format controllers. I am 5 times slower with a mouse and keyboard with my 002R. I sure am glad I kept the 002, I almost sold it. but something clicked that it would make due as a back up for the 003, and I am still working, just not as fast. But the up side is learning more key commands, When I get it back I am going to have a even better workflow!!!

Quote:
nope. those are pretty solid. they actually looks cool .

the unit imo looks very cool and does what its suppose to do very well..

mix 8 tracks in a HUI like form.

but thats it.

dont use it for midi cc, controlling plugins , etc etc ..

it sucks for anything else.

if i was behringer i would update that bc2000 mixer to be a eucon look-a-like.

for the price it should be.. $150-300 range.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 PM

can someone please explain that M-audio keyboard to PT connection and how to make that work.
I have a M-Audio keyboard and never knew it can do midi learn.
RME Multiface II with Focusrite Octopre mkII