Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2008, 11:19 PM

Default Radiohead remix....m4a files

I recently found that Radiohead is releasing their song Nude from the In Rainbows album split into separate parts to be remixed by the public. This is amazing, although you do have to buy them, but...when I downloaded the parts I found that the files are in the m4a format. Obviously, with Pro Tools I would like the files to be AIFF but my question is as to whether I can input the m4a files directly into Pro Tools without first converting them to AIFF? Does Pro Tools read m4a files without any converting? If not, does Pro Tools have a way to transfer m4a to AIFF within the program? ...how do you do it if so? ...are they some ways of converting these files from m4a to AIFF that are of better quality than others? Thanks to anyone who tries to help me make sense of this...I just want to get on with making music and not worry about file type related hassles.

Eric
Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Radiohead remix....m4a files

Create a Pro Tools session (The m4a's are most likely 16 bit at 44.1KHz. You can check this by right clicking one of the m4a's and selecting properties or if you're on a mac, open the file in itunes, select it and hit Command+I.)

Hit Shift+Ctrl+I (Shift+Apple+I)

Select the m4a files to import

Click Convert then Done and follow the instructions on screen.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Radiohead remix....m4a files

Thanks!!! I've been too busy to come back and write to let you know this worked. I was, as usual, overcomplicating things. Your solution worked perfectly and took me all of one minute to do and my mix is now underway. Thanks again.

Eric