Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-21-2004, 12:28 PM

Default problems with clipping when importing stereo wav

Ok here's the deal. My band recently went into the studio and recorded an album with pro tools. Once we finished, i was given the finished bounced stereo interleaved wav of each song. I own protools 6.4 le with an mbox, and was hoping to create new sessions by importing the stereo wav to track, and then adding new tracks (guitar fills, keyboards and such) to save $$$$. The wav imports to a stereo audio track, with hard left/right panning by default. The new tracks i am laying down are mono audio.

Here's whats happening:

When soloing the stereo wave file, the track doesn't clip out ever. Sounds perfect. The guitar tracks I add don't clip out either when soloing them. However when i playback all, there is some serious clipping, even when i severely minimize the volume of the added guitar tracks. I'm thinking there is some type of phase problem, but I don't know how to correct it. I've tried all sorts of configurations of panning, and still no resolve.

If anybody has the slightest idea about how to correct this problem, I'm all ears!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: problems with clipping when importing stereo wav

It will be hard to help without knowing much else about your system: what processor, how much memory, etc.

Does your PT system work well otherwise? Are you able to run the demo session included with PT with no problems?

Could you post a sample of the clipping you are talking about? Maybe if we heard it, it might lead us in the right direction.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-21-2004, 01:04 PM

Have you tried pulling the level on your stereo mix tracks own just a bit, to give it all some headroom?

Old 07-21-2004, 01:20 PM

i'm running a 2.4 ghz celeron with 768 ram. My protools has worked great with all sessions since i updated to 6.4. but this is the first time i've worked with stereo audio tracks in a session. I haven't tried to turn the level of the stereo wav down for fear of losing some precious volume, but if nothing else works i'll try it. the stereo wav is as loud as can be without clipping when soloed. i just don't fully understand why another track at minimal volume pushes it over the brink.

Thanks for the help, any more possible solutions?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:33 PM

If your stereo wav file is to the max as far as headroom is concerned, there is only one alternative.Turn it down.You can always get your volume back in the mix or mastering process.
I have done this many, many times and that is the way to do it.

You can also pull some EQ out of the stereo tracks to squeeze a little headroom for your overdubs.

As far as why an overdub pushes it 'over the brink'.Every bit of audio you add raises the level.Kind of like a glass of water.One more drop and it overflows.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: problems with clipping when importing stereo w

the stereo wav is as loud as can be without clipping when soloed

I'd say that's the problem. PT is summing the original stereo wav with what you're adding and the summed samples are going over the maximum sample level. You'll need to back the stereo wav off a couple of dB to give yourself headroom for the added tracks. I've had this happen too... no matter how quiet the added track is it still causes clipping because the existing tracks are at the absolute maximum. (They were probably normalized to 100% full scale.) I've seen almost inaudible reverb tails cause clipping for that reason.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:43 PM

Create a master fader and pull it down.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:47 PM

Now you don't just have to believe me, although you could have.

Old 07-21-2004, 05:45 PM

Now i feel like i have a better understanding of whats going on. Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 06:19 PM

Quote:
One more drop and it overflows.
Shoot Baz, I was just about to post the "glass of water" thing...
Holy jumping cowboys ...!!

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring