Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-24-2019, 12:10 PM
jamesleonard jamesleonard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 183
Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

I would upgrade to Catalina for generally surfing the web, etc, etc - and for keeping my iMac secure. (I would not be using pro tools on this yet, put it that way!)

In the meantime… When I wish to use Pro Tools 2019.5, I would boot up in Mojave 10.14.5, from the external X5.

That is the idea anyway…

It’s quite hard to explain this actually, especially, when I haven’t ‘crossed this bridge' before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Now if you are going to run off an external drive, where/how are you backing that up?
I thought I could copy the iMac 1TB internal memory onto the Samsung X5 external memory - and the X5 would act as a mirror image of my iMac internal memory.

Like this (see link below), I was looking for some reassurance (from yourselves) - to indicate that I am going about this the right way really.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...drive-3659666/

Last edited by jamesleonard; 08-24-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,231
Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

James there is too much confusion showing here. Get your Mac and just use it. Work out how to make backups using carbon copy cloner so you don’t lose stuff. If you need to stay on Mojave just do not upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-24-2019, 01:07 PM
jamesleonard jamesleonard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 183
Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

What about the link?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-24-2019, 01:07 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,417
Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesleonard View Post
I would upgrade to Catalina for generally surfing the web, etc, etc - and for keeping my iMac secure. (I would not be using pro tools on this yet, put it that way!)

In the meantime… When I wish to use Pro Tools 2019.5, I would boot up in Mojave 10.14.5, from the external X5.

That is the idea anyway…

It’s quite hard to explain this actually, especially, when I haven’t ‘crossed this bridge' before.

I thought I could copy the iMac 1TB internal memory onto the Samsung X5 external memory - and the X5 would act as a mirror image of my iMac internal memory.

Like this (see link below), I was looking for some reassurance - to signify that I am going about this the right way really.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...drive-3659666/
Who says you need Catalina to keep your iMac secure? Mojave can do the job very well without you having to try and jump through needless hoops. That and surfing the web and email won't be a problem on Mojave either.

Besides with two 'system' drives you're going to need two drives to clone to. Or one drive with two boot partitions. You'll be creating more issues with what you want to do than it's worth.

About the link:
You'd want to be putting Catalina on the external drive and keep Mojave on the internal drive. But still it's more work than is necessary. Put it simply - there's no reason to use Catalina at this point in time.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-24-2019, 01:11 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,417
Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
James there is too much confusion showing here. Get your Mac and just use it. Work out how to make backups using carbon copy cloner so you don’t lose stuff. If you need to stay on Mojave just do not upgrade.
Amen to that. James is starting to sound like our 'buddy' larsongs
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,231
Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesleonard View Post
What about the link?
What about it? We’ve already said the easiest way to get Mojave on the external drive (clone what you have now with Carbon Copy Cloner). Why do you want to do a fresh reinstall when you can just clone what you have? There should be a loud voice inside your head telling yourself to keep things as simple as possible. Right now it seems you are trying to make things complex for no really good reason.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-24-2019, 01:52 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,417
Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all utilities like Carbon Copy Cloner might not be compatible with Catalina when it drops. And you really don't want to run any computer without having a backup ready to go.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-24-2019, 01:55 PM
jamesleonard jamesleonard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 183
Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
James there is too much confusion showing here. Get your Mac and just use it. Work out how to make backups using carbon copy cloner so you don’t lose stuff. If you need to stay on Mojave just do not upgrade.
With all due respect to yourself Darryl, I will need to upgrade to Catalina one day you know? After all, I need to move with the times - or get left behind!

There is a method in my madness - and I will explain. This is ALL because: I want to carry on using my 003 Control Surface - which unfortunately is 32bit.

This is the reason WHY I wish to KEEP Mojave 10.14.5 and Pro Tools 2019.5 handy - because my 003 Control Surface has EXTERNAL RECORDING CAPABILITIES incorporated within the design - it is a Mixing Desk! (my Roland TR-8S Usb connection, DOES NOT possess this capability!)

Additionally, Catalina will be 64bit and my 003 (32 bit) will not run on this!

My 003 is a brilliant, brilliant machine (it is a timeless design). I absolutely love this Legacy machine - and it is/was the ‘business’ hence, why I want to keep it in operation - by reverting back to protools 2019.5 and Mojave 10.14.5 - when I wish to use it! That is why I have bought the T2 to T3 connector.

When Avid gives the ‘all clear’ on Catalina - I will no doubt be using Pro Tools on this macOS. However, I will NOT be able to use the 003 Control Surface because it is 32 bit.

Which is OK, because… I can use the 003, by booting up in: Pro Tools 2019.5 and Mojave 10.14.5.

And that is the way I hope to get around this problem.

Btw, I also have an annual subscription with Avid. And I want to keep it that way. Otherwise, It seems pretty pointless paying a yearly subscription - if I am going to stay on Mojave.


Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Amen to that. James is starting to sound like our 'buddy' larsongs
Hahahahahahaha, I hope not musicman691!

Last edited by jamesleonard; 08-24-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,231
Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Please just stop. Take a breath and just use the computer as is. You are clearly confused about stuff. Focus on working out how to back up the computer and just use it in Mojave for now. Worry about other stuff later if you need to. When I say nothing makes sense here I am not asking you to keep repeating similar claims of what you want to do or why... to better explain it to us... it is a statement of fact, all of what you are saying does not make sense.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-24-2019, 02:28 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,417
Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesleonard View Post
With all due respect to yourself Darryl, I will need to upgrade to Catalina one day you know? After all, I need to move with the times - or get left behind!

There is a method in my madness - and I will explain. This is ALL because: I want to carry on using my 003 Control Surface - which unfortunately is 32bit.

This is the reason WHY I wish to KEEP Mojave 10.14.5 and Pro Tools 2019.5 handy - because my 003 Control Surface has EXTERNAL RECORDING CAPABILITIES incorporated within the design - it is a Mixing Desk! (my Roland TR-8S Usb connection, DOES NOT possess this capability!)

Additionally, Catalina will be 64bit and my 003 (32 bit) will not run on this!

My 003 is a brilliant, brilliant machine (it is a timeless design). I absolutely love this Legacy machine - and it is/was the ‘business’ hence, why I want to keep it in operation - by reverting back to protools 2019.5 and Mojave 10.14.5 - when I wish to use it! That is why I have bought the T2 to T3 connector.

When Avid gives the ‘all clear’ on Catalina - I will no doubt be using Pro Tools on this macOS. However, I will NOT be able to use the 003 Control Surface because it is 32 bit.

Which is OK, because… I can use the 003, by booting up in: Pro Tools 2019.5 and Mojave 10.14.5.

And that is the way I hope to get around this problem.

Btw, I also have an annual subscription with Avid. And I want to keep it that way. Otherwise, It seems pretty pointless paying a yearly subscription - if I am going to stay on Mojave.


Hahahahahahaha, I hope not musicman691!
Only upgrade to Catalina when you have to. There is absolutely NO reason to go for it when it drops. Remember that those who live on the bleeding edge are doomed to get cut by it. Sure some day you may need to go for Catalina but until that day - don't sweat it. Just because you have a subscription for PT doesn't mean you have to run the latest OSX. There are a lot of people here who have subs and are still on High Sierra or Sierra. I doubt there's any time soon that Avid will drop support for Mojave and until that time - don't muck with a working system.

What you say does not justify the hassle you're setting yourself up for. Said it before and I'll say it again: keep Mojave on the internal and put Catalina on the external. Especially for the reason Darryl gave about the dire consequences of the external drive possibly getting disconnected.

We're trying to save you from yourself. Like we've tried to do with larsongs but he refuses to listen to reason.

Of course you could run a dual boot system like I do. I have a 1 TB internal ssd that has OSX 10.10.5 and OSX 10.12.6 boot partitions. You should be able to do the same with what you have in that shiny new iMac. For backups I use an external spinner that also has multiple partitions and I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my internal drive to that spinner. When I'm done doing my weekly clones I disconnect that external drive. That way I have a fully isolated way of getting back to working if I have issues. THAT is what you should be doing and NOT what the mess you're thinking of weaving for yourself. There's no need to have separate drives for booting.

edit for additional:
Actually if you check my profile you'll see I too at one time had an iMac. That machine had three boot partitions so I could experiment with what worked better. And it worked a treat until the video card fried and that's a whole 'nother saga that's been detailed here.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 08-24-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added old iMac info/history
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daisychaining 003R+ and external drive: likely problems? David Topple 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 5 06-30-2010 04:35 PM
Daisychaining firewire mark13 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 5 02-07-2007 11:01 PM
Daisychaining synths with MIDI i/O? RKrizman MIDI 2 07-13-2004 12:08 PM
FW Hubs vs. Daisychaining orage 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 3 01-07-2004 09:38 AM
Daisychaining DaleB Digidesign Hardware & Software 3 10-22-1999 10:55 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com