Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools III & hardware

Like I said I had a buttload of hardware given to me and I just want to see if it works or not.

I ALMOST have this baby running though. I can get Mt. Digi to recognize the Jaz drive but it won't quite mount. PT gives me an error saying no drive is connected. Almost have it tackled...
Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 PM

HSL you must have a SCSI hard drive, jaz etc. won't work.

Mt. Digi is a great utility and the ATTOTECH Utility Formatting freeware can be useful too. I think you can still download it from there site, but you have to register.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:40 AM

I actually read a Pro Tools review that said the Jaz was compatible - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997...protools4.html

I've got a proper external SCSI HD on the way though. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 AM

Some of the stuff in that review is hilarious to read in 2015, like the 9GB drives being huge or "reasonably priced"... Or the software being "hard to learn". PT 4 and 5 were about as simple as it can be.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:13 PM

I had a field day with Google Groups recently. Check out the archives for rec.pro.audio which goes back to like 1994 or so. It's mostly people fighting over whether ADATs or Tascam DTRS machines are better
Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 PM

Ha! I remember when people argued that digital recordings on ADAT's sounded better than hard drives because the 0's and 1's are written in a linear pattern. I personally think it was "that close bit sound"

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Ha! I remember when people argued that digital recordings on ADAT's sounded better than hard drives because the 0's and 1's are written in a linear pattern. I personally think it was "that close bit sound"
Are you sure it isn't because western countries say high = 1 and low = 0 and eastern countries say othewise? I mean, well, call me racist but those people read from right to left

Sorry if this joke offended someone...
Old 01-08-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

Sorry if this joke offended someone...
The "close-bit sound" guy is probably fuming mad.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:25 PM

I haven't found much history on the Project cards, but it seems that these were released so people could just get stuff into/out of the computer since no TDM is available for it. I wonder if that means if you've already got a Disk I/O, that the Project I cards could serve as additional Disk I/O cards.

I'm pushing my free tech support for ancient hardware/software here, I know I appreciate all the help though, seriously
Old 01-09-2015, 07:01 AM

Only way to know for sure is to try. I know that mix core and mix farm cards look identical, there is one chip that is different. This chip determines whether it is a core or a farm. Same goes for d24, MIX IO, and Project II cards. They all look like a d24, but have one chip that determines what they can/can't do.

Probably a similar scenario with the disk IO and project cards, but I've never tried it. That being said, I did own a Project II card at one point. Project I might be different, but Project II (looks like a d24) definitely would not work with TDM cards in any way shape or form. Even though it had a TDM connector, the connector was not functional. The project II didn't even work with PTLE, it was strictly for people using Logic, etc. to be able to access their 888's.