Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Delay Compensation for Playhead / Cursor

I'm doing some editing on something that I've got some pretty latency-heavy plug-ins on (noise reduction, etc). The cursor is in a totally different place than what I'm actually hearing, so I thought that it would be pretty great if Delay Compensation was also reflected by the playhead / cursor, so that even if you had a boatload of plug-ins, the cursor would actually reflect what you were hearing. seems like it should be possible.

thoughts?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation for Playhead / Cursor

Even with many plugins inserted, I´ve never experienced that the cursor was in a "totaly different place" compared to what I hear.

Maybe your problem doesn´t have to do with the plugins or ADC.

Is it better with no plugs in the channel?

What PT version do You have?

Martin

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 PM

I do indeed experience this from time to time.

The issue really rears its head if both the track and the subsequent paths to which it’s routed are rich with plug-ins. I really only find it to be a problem when I’m cleaning up tracks from clicks, pops, and crackles — where the disturbance is often hard to see until zoomed in at near-max resolution, at which point scrubbing becomes nearly useless.

In answer to Muzoid’s question, my “solution” is to temporarily disable the longest latency-laden plugs and reroute the track in question to my monitoring path, which is plug-in-free*. Sure, it’s not “instant,” but it’s an eminently workable way out.

* Although I keep an otherwise disabled low-latency limiter on this strip for the purpose of “enhancing” scrubbed sound and protecting monitors and ears.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-16-2007, 02:47 AM

Finally! I've posted a similar thread two months ago:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...v=#Post1146580
Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 AM

Thanks Tal (for your reply)

I wasn't having a problem working with it and of course, could have either disabled the plugs while editing or rerouted, but was trying to tweak as I was editing in an effort to save time. I just thought that the idea to have the playhead / GUI reflect what was actually being heard was a pretty good one and wanted to pass it on.

Best regards,

Bill