Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2000, 04:29 PM

Default Re: I am afraid to restart

Have you tried rebooting and holding down the shift key (to disable all extension)...if it boots fine then you can be pretty sure that it's an extension conflict and can proceed with your troubleshooting...
Old 08-02-2000, 07:19 PM

It's not an extension conflict, it's digidesign taking the priority on some bus, thus preventing the OS from booting properly.

I have to boot up to 10 times before it works.
If it was Apple problem, then maybe it wouldn't occur ONLY with digidesign!?

I hate it now

6am eternal
Old 08-03-2000, 12:02 AM

The way I understand it is that on the B&W G3 and the oldest versions of the G4 (which had the same motherboard), Digi INIT has to re-program the PCI buss so that the 001 gets priority. If (and this is where it gets fuzzy for me) timing on the PCI buss gets out of whack while they are doing the re-programing you get the hang. Supposedly there's not much Digi or Apple can do about it.

It's been discussed on the board you might want to do a search to see if you can find some info on making it occur less frequently. It happens on my machine but only about once a week and I use it a lot. Also there is nothing wrong with leaving you machine on all the time.

Sorry I'm not more help.
Old 08-03-2000, 12:25 AM

Default I am afraid to restart

BW G3 400
256mb
30 GB ATA drive
Digi 001

I have time to write this because I am trying to get my system to restart. 10 times and counting now.
Digi tech support has said that this reboot issue is Apples problem. Does that mean that nobody is working on a solution? Everyone I work with uses a PC. I had used Protools for years so I had to have my Mac. (the PC version was not out yet) Now, anytime I have to restart I look like an ***hole. I recommended the company buy this system and now I have to admit, it's not yet ready to perform during a session. Someone please tell me there is a solution. (I've already goofed around with the order that my extensions load, that's not it)

Chris Floberg
Old 08-03-2000, 06:25 AM

Chris, FWIW

For background; The infamous "hang on DSI" during boot-up occurs when the DSI reprograms the PCI Bridge Chip in order to give higher priorty to our cards. What this ultimately translates to is a drastic reduction in the occurance of the dreaded DAE -6042 "PCI Bus too Busy" error. Owners of B&W G3 and first generation G4s (i.e the ones that are equipped with PCI graphics) will experience this occcasional lockup. AGP-equipped G4s do not require this modification.

Regards

e
Old 08-03-2000, 06:37 AM

EMFWIWI/Even More For What Its Worth Info. Follow thread to Shaggy's last post regarding DSI.
http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/004994.html

HYHSL

e
Old 08-03-2000, 06:42 AM

Chris,
could you please post more info about the nature of your problem.

exactly what happens when you try to reboot....black screen?...grey screen?
etc.

What 3rd party devices are you using...USB? Stealth port?..hubs? firewire device?

Please post back with more info.

Be glad to help you get it straightend out.

dcornutt
Old 08-03-2000, 06:52 AM

In the meantime:

Ive seen many things cause these types of boot problems on g3s and g4s.

My recommendations:

disconnect all external usb, firewire..etc. devices except keyboard and mouse (don't use a hub).

disable all extensions/control panels associated with these devices.

If you are using a "stealthport" in your internal modem port...pull it out..and disable the extensions.

Leave the digi 001 card in..and leave the oms..and DAE..etc loaded.

Restart:

If you get a clean boot...then there isnothing wrong with your Digi hardware..or..the Mac hardware.

My guess is...its a usb or firewire driver.

Ive seen them...hang G3s and G4's on startup...to a grey blank screen.

If you have a 3rd party scsi card..it may be conflicting with the 001 in some way.

If your machine won't boot with extensions off..but..will boot with everything disconnected...then..you have a device problem.

By leaving the 001 hardware installed...you can add your devices back one at a time..until you find the culprit.

Again..my bet..its either a USB adapter/device...or ..one of your other PCI cards/drivers..causing this.

If you are simply getting a black screen:
have you recently installed any ram?

If so..pull the installed ram..and leave just the apple ram...and see if machine boots.(mismatched speed ram..can sometimes cause a non-boot).

Its important..to know..exactly what your machine is doing at boot..as these are the clues.....do you get a startup sound?
Is the machine black screen or grey?

etc.

Hope this helps.

dcornutt
Old 08-03-2000, 10:39 AM

My machine freezes upon loading the digi extension.

"...occurs when the DSI reprograms the PCI Bridge Chip in order to give higher priorty to our ..."

Why do we need to know this. I suppose it would be interesting if I wasn't spending all of my time trying to get my machine to boot. I am glad Digi "lets us in" on how hard it is to create a DAW, but that's what you do guys. I promise not to unload on you about how long into the night I had to wait for a re-edit so I could START my mix and I expect the same in return. Tell me how your addressing this problem and at least I have something to tell my clients.(the 'Bridge Chip' story dosn't play well) This needs to be fixed. I cannot perform my job because of this problem with your system. We'll have a beer and you can tell me how hard it was to fix AFTER you've fixed it.

[This message has been edited by Chris Floberg (edited August 03, 2000).]
Old 08-18-2000, 10:00 PM

To startup your machine, change the name of the digisystem init to: "_DigiSystem", now i can startup my mac with any probles, try this my friend.