Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-03-2002, 01:36 PM

Default Re: A question for people smarter than me....

Personally, I like to split my stereo tracks into two mono tracks. The only reason is that I am more comfortable working that way.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:59 PM

I had to get onto this one - boy would I love to be smarter that Someone! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Actually I like to keep stereo recordings on stereo tracks to keep idiots - inclucing myself - from moving one or the other independently by accident - and believe me there are ways to do it - unless you are LOCKED into a stereo track.
Groups can be UN grouped - stereo tracks can only be seperated by an act of the FILE menu - and even then the original STEREO track is maintained.

BMann
Old 12-03-2002, 08:35 PM

I think you guys are missing the point.

He's asking whether or not to record in stereo or mono.

Not 2 mono tracks vs 1 stereo track.

My opinion would be to try more mono tracks.

Here's why.

If you're using lots of pads and stuff, it will start to wash together.

Alot of synth manufacturers use mono samples with stereo ambience. That's fine for one sound but not with many similar sounds. It's too mono.

Try finding the widest sound and keep it stereo.

Then find a few not so wide ones and keep them mono but pan them at 11oclock and 2 oclock.

Also try takeing one or two of the mono synths and have them pan back and forth in time with the song.
(Pen tool)

try them at different rates (1/4 note 1/8 note)

Really listen to the sounds you choose so as to decide to go mono or stereo.

For example: Strings. I tend to use 1 quartet preset thats really wide. I then add a mono Cello (Middle) then a mono Viola and a mono Violin panned almost hard left and right.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:24 PM

Thanks. That was my question, and that makes sense. I will try some of those techniques.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:36 PM

Yeah, what Produceher said...

After years of doing the same thing (recording everything in stereo), i realized that have some strong mono signals, panned nicely to various spots in the aural field is way better for getting mixes to sit well. Having everything spread to the far reaches leaves a mix washy and non-descript, not to mention the overlap of frequencies, eating up precious room for other instruments to sound full.
Give a try to what Produceher said - get one, or a couple of well defined stereo sounds, and start to pepper the rest as mono - you will find panning them appropriately will allow less drastic EQ'ing to have a mix that sits, as well give a sense of defined placement within the stereo field...

YMMV,
Old 12-04-2002, 12:17 AM

Default A question for people smarter than me....

This question is about recording with stereo tracks. When I am building a track, I usually ind that I end up recording on many stereo tracks and just a few mono tracks. The mono I will reserve for bass, vocals, some drum hits--monophonic stuff like that. BUT, I also do a lot of layering with samples, keyboard sounds, pads, etc. and they quite often have a less ambient sound when recorded as mono as opposed to stereo--so I just record all that stuff in stereo. I'm usually happy with the way my mixes sound, so maybe there is not a problem. But my question is (because I have heard this before) would I be better by recording more stuff to mono tracks because everything somehow washes when there are many tracks of stereo(that's what I've heard)I tend to do a lot of panning within each stereo pair. Is this redundant?

I've never done a side-by-side, scientific comparison between these two so I'm not sure. Educate me please.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Old 12-04-2002, 02:29 AM

What you can also do is build yourself an "effect console" (once done you can import it from session to session) that effectively reproduces what is happening inside your synth. Usually that means having one aux track with some kind of stereo chorus or harmonizer, one with a reverb that works well with pads, and eventually one with a "magical" stereo delay (in tempo) combination. Each one with a bus as input.

That way you can strip a synth sound naked of any effect, record it in mono, pan it as you like and find the right combination of bus sends to recreate the ambience.

In the case of analog pads you may even record two slightly modified patches each on its own mono track, and pan them left-right for maximum effect (always check in mono however for any excessive phasing)

However some synth have beautiful stereo so its up to you to find which ones can be recorded mono or stereo
Old 12-04-2002, 04:36 AM

I agree with Produceher. If you record everything in stereo (just because they sound "better" when soloing them ) you'll end up with a BIG MONO SOUND_!
Old 12-04-2002, 11:58 AM

I'm getting smarter by the minute!
Old 12-05-2002, 12:06 AM

From reading all of your posts I'm getting smarter tooooo. Mono vs. stereo hmm [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]