Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM

Default Re: "CPU overload"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

You have to update your plugins manually!! and its very important to have the latest updates installed.

Your issue could be caused by the number of Processors set for RTAS playback, you must have it set to an odd number 1/3/5/7 etc as certain RTAS plugs don't like the even 2/4/6/8 setting for processors.
I wasn't using any plugins. Interesting idea, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Are you recording to an external hard drive? Because that's one of the basic requirements. You don't want to be recording to just the system drive.
I was recording to the internal hard drive because my previous external HD went kaput recently. I'm going to get a new HD eventually, but as others seem to be having the exact same problem, I don't think that's the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus1900 View Post
Question: How are you Recording? 96Khz/24bit, 48Khz/24bit, 44.1Khz/24bit... How you Record can change the way your system responds. I found when I recorded at 96Khz/24bit I had all kinds of CPU issues but them I switched to Recording at 48Khz/24bit and now I have Zero CPU issues.
I'm pretty sure I'm using 44.1Khz/24bit but I'll double check and give that a try, thanks!

And thanks for confirming the issue Filobus and Gorilla. Hopefully we'll get this problem addressed soon.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail View Post

I just got Pro Tools 9 recently and I keep getting this error while recording. It persists regardless of my buffer size and I have not installed or used any plugins. I'm running on a brand-new 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM. I hesitate to say that the hardware is the issue because I've never had a problem like this on similarly powered or even lower powered systems before. I'm also using an M-Audio Profire 610 with the newest drivers. Help?
It appears you have Bluetooth enabled - can you try disabling it and let us know if it helps?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobus View Post
Hi Gorilla and everyone. My last two days have been entirely dedicated to the 6085 and 6101 CPU issues with PT 9. I just sent a support email to the Avid guys and I hope they'll reply soon.
I haven't solved yet, but here's the text. Good luck to everyone with this. Hopefully they'll find a way and a PT 9.1 update will solve this.

Dear Avid support guys,

I am experiencing a non stop -6085 error in PT 9 as I attempt to play a sequence.
Here's what I tried :

- Checked playback engine. Tried to change settings.

-Checked CPU system and UAD dsp usage. Both very low. tried with a clean sequence, with very few plugins. (find attached pics)

- Tried to change the firewire chain. (mac-mbox3pro-hd and mac-hd-mbox2pro)

- Tried mac without the mbox2 pro and, although the error took a bit longer to show up, it did (I mainly got -6101's without the mbox2 pro).

- Tried all the Avid troubleshooting procedures and system optimizations, and
read many threads on both Duc.avid and gearslutz.

-Checked all plugins versions, upgraded and cleaned up moving unused ones away

-Uninstalled pro Tools 9 8 to 9 crossgrade and reinstalled PT 9 full installer.

-reinstalled the mbox 2 pro driver for PT9

-Tried opening other sessions, even one without plugins.

-Tried removing the UAD 2 solo laptop card

- Tried changing Hard Drive, copied some sessions onto another firewire 400 Lacie

- Tried replacing cables.

No success whatsoever. I keep on getting -6085. Sometimes just quitting Pro Tools and restarting solves only for a few minutes, then the -6085 shows up again.
Also resetting PRAM helped for a few minutes. But then again -6085 prevents playback.
Believe me I tried everything Avid and other users suggest and I am not new to these issues, I am long time Mac and Pro Tools user on both Mbox2pro and HD.
Please help soon

Thanks a lot

My system experiencing the problem:

Macbook Pro 15" 2.16, 2 gb ram
Mbox 2 pro
HD firewire Lacie d2 500 GB connected via firewire 400 port

PT 9
UAD 2 solo laptop

PS this system worked perfectly and very stable with PT 8. Also my other system with the very same Lacie hard drive, Mac Pro Quad, Avid MboxPro and PT 9 works very well so far.
Are you possibly using the power supply with the Mbox 2 Pro? If so, disconnect it, as you don't need it - the Mbox 2 Pro will get power via Firewire.

(That's the only other suggestion I can see that you didn't cover already, per the info in your post.)
Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 AM

How do you know those other folks are not also trying to record to the system drive? I have certainly seen this error when using a MBP 17" w/ Core 2 Duo when recording to the system drive. Not seen when using a seperate external FW800 drive (GTech GDrive mini 7200 rpm in my case). Trying an external drive would seem to be a good idea given how much time has been spent (wasted?) on trying other things.

Darryl
Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobus View Post
- Checked playback engine. Tried to change settings.
Since you are using a Macbook Pro, you probably have a Core2Duo processor (possibly an i5 or i7) These all have two processor cores. Due to the current RTAS engine, it is highly recommended (almost required) to set the number of processors in the playback engine to one less than the number of processor cores that you have. In this case, you must set it to one processor core instead of two. I know...I know...it sounds counter-intuitive. The fact is that you are leaving one processor core to handle the non-realtime processing in the RTAS engine as well as other system operation. If you select two processor cores, all the resources are dedicated to realtime RTAS processing but not leaving anything for the other processes. This worked for me and eliminated the error message that you are experiencing. I hope it works for you too. Also you must record to a physically separate hard drive than the system drive. This has been a requirement since early Protools version and has not changed.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-30-2010, 02:58 PM

I think you are having the same problem as me, described in this thread:-

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=290102

The worst thing about problems like this is the buzz kill, if I have a good idea going on I don't want to be fighting the computer. I've been using PT since version 6 and it's always been this way regardless of hardware, OS or PT version. Recently I gave up and went over to Logic and have been the most productive I have ever been. But strangely I actually like PT, and I really want a version that works properly.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Trying an external drive would seem to be a good idea given how much time has been spent (wasted?) on trying other things.
Would rather waste time than money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
It appears you have Bluetooth enabled - can you try disabling it and let us know if it helps?
Wow, that actually seems to have worked! At least so far, just recorded a few tracks as a test to check, but the error never showed up. Thanks! Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon...
Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM

what if you can't turn off bluetooth due to using the keyboard and mouse that came with the iMac? I want to get pro tools 9, but that seems like a ridiculous fix.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:10 PM

It is a ridiculous fix, but I am happy to report that I spent all day tracking yesterday with no issues. Feels so good to finally be able to really use this software.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:29 PM

I'm interested in purchasing Pro Tools 9 but this work-around has me concerned! I'm using both bluetooth wireless devices (keyboard and magic mouse) that came with my 2010 27" iMac i5 Quad Core machine. I'd like to know if Avid is looking into this matter further so it will no longer be a necessary for us to disable blue tooth if we experience this error? Thanks.