Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2018, 07:54 AM

Default Can't drag and drop any audio from Explorer

Hi there,

Specs below...

I can't drag and drop any audio files (have tried with different file types and sample rates, both matching project conditions and not) from an explorer window into pro tools. I can do this on any other DAW I have, and it makes importing multiple files very frustrating and time consuming.

Also when using the import audio file, it doesn't remember the most recent place, so each time when I import a file, I have to search through my drives to reach the right place which adds so much time especially when I am using a lot of tiny SFX files for sound design projects.

Is there a way to set it up so I can just drag any number of audio files into the mix window and it automatically import/convert the files?

I've just got Pro Tools Version 2018.10. Have a very new high spec PC running Windows 10 with specs below.

When I try and import it just gives me the black circle with a cross through.

Any ideas would be very appreciated for how I can fix this, and speed up audio import because for the minute I keep going back to Reaper to save time and anger!

Thanks everyone,

Will

System DetailsEdit Value
Intel® CoreTM i9 18 Core Processor i9-7980XE (2.6GHz) 24.75MB Cache,
Motherboard Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 3 PRO,
Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz,
Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 Ti
1st Hard Disk 2TB WD BlueTM 3D NAND 2.5" SSD
2nd Hard Disk 8TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Pro Tools 2018.10 64bit

Last edited by WillSullivan13; 12-01-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Specs didn't show up
Old 12-01-2018, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Can't drag and drop any audio from Explorer

Something is wrong if it won't even let you drag wav files from explorer into the track list/edit window timeline or clips list. Sample rate conversion is automatic but you need to install Quicktime to import mp3 etc.

Are you a new PT user or is this just a recent problem that has come up?
Old 12-01-2018, 08:24 AM

Hi. If you followed the Pro Tools Windows 10 optimizations then you're running PT as an administrator which prevents drag-n-drop from other apps like windows explorer.

You can right click on your PT.exe, go to properties/compatibility and deselect run as administrator. You'll now be able to drag-n-drop. I've never noticed any adverse affects from doing this and my workflow has no flow at all without it. If I ever have to troubleshoot anything with PT the first thing I do is re-enable run as admin but it's never been the culprit so far.

I actually wish that Avid would shed some light on this as it seems that running as admin is unnecessary and very limiting. I see no difference on my system with it on or off. Other than disabling a feature that I really need.

Regards,
Marc
Old 12-01-2018, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I'm a completely new user, just bought PT in the last couple of months as I'm about to begin a MfA in Composition and Sound Design and they recommend using it for a lot of the modules.

I have Quicktime installed, and all the most recent updates on PT.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:41 AM

As mentioned make sure your are NOT running Pro Tools with Run As Admin.

Second, you don't drag into the MIX window. You drag into the EDIT window.

You could drag into the Tracks List in either window.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 AM

Thanks everyone, you hit the nail on the head.

I turned off run as admin and can now drag and drop with no issues.

Best,

Will
Old 12-02-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post
I actually wish that Avid would shed some light on this as it seems that running as admin is unnecessary and very limiting. I see no difference on my system with it on or off. Other than disabling a feature that I really need.
I'm afraid it's a Windows thing. I just recently switched from Mac to Win 10 and based on everything I read prior to the switch, I set all of my DAW's up to run as Administrator. I was baffled that I could no longer drag files into any of my DAW's - functionality that I enjoyed and took for granted on OS X.

After reading this thread, I pulled Pro Tools, Reaper, Ableton Live and Studio One out of "Run as Administrator" mode, and I can now drag files into each program from Explorer. It's a MS thing.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 12-03-2018, 02:27 AM

This is why I like forums - I had no idea about the Administrator thing, truly bizarre - thanks for posting the solution Marc.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM