Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2021, 02:29 PM

Default Re: It was 20 years ago today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Ouch. Is there any way you can return that Mini? PT has not yet been okayed for use on them and some people that have tried it have had varying degrees of success. Yes it runs video apps no problem but audio - not so much as pertains to PT. Also there's no reason to have the latest OS on a computer. Remember that those that live on the bleeding edge are doomed to get cut by it.

Should have checked in here first before getting that M1 Mini.
Um, no and no regrets on getting the Mini. This was always a video system first. It handles that with aplomb.

I've been really careful as I've no intention of bashing PT. I've too much respect having used it professionally over the years (someone else paying the freight). It will however always be a possibility that to stay current, at some point PT would break in my situation. Then I'd be waiting months for the software to catch up to me. I'd be already waiting if it didn't work currently (it does). Don't do enough audio to warrant having a dedicated PT machine.

Plenty of other choices out there. That's not a bash but the statement I guess I'm trying to make?
Old 01-06-2021, 03:21 PM

If you still have the authorizations for any of your old RTAS/TDM plug-ins, some 3rd Party Manufacturers may have free AAX updates (whereas, some may charge for their update)

3rd Party AAX Plug-Ins
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340230

Good reading:
The History of Pro Tools - 2012 to 2018
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...s-2012-to-2018

The A-Z Of Pro Tools
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/a-z-of-pro-tools

Since experiencing some Posts disappear myself, I make a document composition of my Post, then copy and paste it on the DUC.
Might take multiple attempts to post – but, at least I don’t have to re-write it.

Good luck!
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-06-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkcafe View Post
Um, no and no regrets on getting the Mini. This was always a video system first. It handles that with aplomb.

I've been really careful as I've no intention of bashing PT. I've too much respect having used it professionally over the years (someone else paying the freight). It will however always be a possibility that to stay current, at some point PT would break in my situation. Then I'd be waiting months for the software to catch up to me. I'd be already waiting if it didn't work currently (it does). Don't do enough audio to warrant having a dedicated PT machine.

Plenty of other choices out there. That's not a bash but the statement I guess I'm trying to make?
Not saying you need a dedicated machine for audio but just that you made the wrong choice at this point in time. There's plenty of Macs that can handle both video and audio at the same time and that will run PT no problem. Again - if you really were concerned about running PT you should have asked here before plunking down the moola on a machine that's iffy at best for PT usage at this point in time.

You're going out on a limb and don't expect much from help people here given what you've done.

QAPLA!
Old 01-07-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Not saying you need a dedicated machine for audio but just that you made the wrong choice at this point in time. There's plenty of Macs that can handle both video and audio at the same time and that will run PT no problem. Again - if you really were concerned about running PT you should have asked here before plunking down the moola on a machine that's iffy at best for PT usage at this point in time.

You're going out on a limb and don't expect much from help people here given what you've done.
Having come from building workstations professionally going back to the NuBus days, I understand your perspective all too well. I used the phrase "time machine" for this reason. Back then, as in now, you were stuck buying last years machines to run Pro Tools. Same with Avid Media Composer.

The purpose of my post is stated in the beginning. How in over 20 years, so little has changed. I logged back in to try to get a sense of how long it would be before M1 is supported officially and to see if there were some good info on which plugins work and don't at this point in time. What I didn't do is buy Pro Tools and come here because something doesn't work. I truly get your perspective and fully appreciate you input. Not sure you fully understand mine. A statement and a wish is not a complaint or a call for help. Avid will do what works for them, I know that.

I left the studio world professionally about 15 years ago for commercial AV. I run a company that specializes in video teleconferencing. We provide technical labor for installation, service and live event support. With companies on lock down we produce live Teams events with multi camera shoots. Hence my video focus. Bang for the Buck the M1 is a lot of performance at a fraction of the cost of a Mac Pro. For that to work for me I am in Big Sir. The Mac is a personal computer but in some ways an experiment for my company as the Mac has some interesting tools for my work. Things that work better for chroma keying logos and lower thirds for instance.

I could certainly dedicate this Mini to audio once the next gen Apple chip comes out. 40 plus years of doing this I'm in no rush at this point.

Thank you again for you input. Don't let your frustration with my stance make you think I am unappreciative.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
If you still have the authorizations for any of your old RTAS/TDM plug-ins, some 3rd Party Manufacturers may have free AAX updates (whereas, some may charge for their update)

3rd Party AAX Plug-Ins
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340230

Good reading:
The History of Pro Tools - 2012 to 2018
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...s-2012-to-2018

The A-Z Of Pro Tools
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/a-z-of-pro-tools

Since experiencing some Posts disappear myself, I make a document composition of my Post, then copy and paste it on the DUC.
Might take multiple attempts to post – but, at least I don’t have to re-write it.

Good luck!
Thanks,

Fortunately nothing I am re-opening is very complicated and not sure chasing down old plugins is the way to go. The old system works and I can cull out what I want as individual tracks and import them into whatever. A lot of Folk music is guy or gal with guitar. Most of this is 3-8 tracks with one being an omni room mic for applause which I can ditch for what I want to do. Also a bunch of board mixes that just need sweetening and level.

With plugins, I've already begun making a wish list and might start with the Slate subscription. Personally for my use, I'm waiting on Amplitube 5 to get all sorted out (guitar player). A little lost with the whole virtual instrument thing but I'll figure it out as I go along.

Pro Tools will eventually get M1 support as Apple is all in as to getting away from Intel. Only other option is for Avid to go Windows only. I think once that get sorted out, I am hoping that transition between Mac OS's is less of an issue with the tighter integration of Apple only technologies. At least from a development point of view. I could be and have been wrong.

I used to use NoteTab to draft my posts. I must of had quite the quizzical look on my face after all that typing, the post vanished after being prompted to log back in.