Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Best powered monitors for $400 or less

Looking to tap the experience and wisdom of my fellow DUCers to make a purchase decision.
I'm currently using borrowed Yamaha NS10's w/Hafler amp and a Samson Resolv120 sub in a small project studio recording rap/hip-hop artists.
I must either return the NS10's or make an offer to buy. I don't dislike the NS10's, but I've always felt they were a good alternate monitor but not my first choice as mains. I figure I could probably buy some powered near fields for what it will cost to keep the NS10's and I own the sub so I'll be keeping that.
I work at another studio that has Genelecs (out of my budget) and NS10's so I have little to compare with.
Probably most important factor is max spl per dollar and durability/quality since some of my clients like loud playbacks and I am charging for a service so I need something that is dependable.
Here is my list so far:

Behringer B2031A $340 pair
Pros: Best power per dollar, 225w 116 dB SPL for low price
Cons: Questionable quality/reliability, mixed reviews on harsh or colored sound/response

KRK RP6 $400 pair
Pros: A few favorable reviews praising sound/response, hopefully good quality from respected US company
Cons: New product not many reviews yet, not as much power/SPL for more money, maybe not up to the task of satisfying playback levels for intoxicated & stoned rappers.

Alesis M1 Active MK2 $400 pair
Pros: Decent power per dollar, some favorable reviews
Cons: Some mixed reviews, questionable mid to high harshness or colored response/sound

Wharfedale DP8.2A $340 pair
Pros: Good reviews, Low price, advanced design/technology, hopefully good quality from respected established company, 5-year warranty
Cons: Maybe not enough speaker/power/SPL for my application

Tapco S5 $350 pair
Pros: Some good reviews praising sound, good max SPL 113 dB for the money, hopefully good quality/durability from respected US company (Mackie)
Cons: Newer product not a lot of reviews yet, small speaker not as much power as Behringer for more money

Used JBL LSR25P $350 for the pair from
chicago.craigslist.org > musical instruments > >>JBL LSR25P Powered Speakers<<
Pros: Usually cost $600 pair new, good power 150w, good reviews, quality product from respected US company
Cons: Used probably no warranty or return, small speaker only specs Maximum Peak SPL (90 Hz - 20 kHz): >109 dB SPL / 1 m, response only down to 70hz, maybe not enough speaker for my application.

I'm open to suggestions since I know there are many other products out there. I just need to stay in my paltry $400 budget at this time.
I also own a pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5's but I would have to buy an amp and I don't think I will necessarily get any more spl per dollar than any of these other choices. I don't know. Maybe a $350 amp and my Tannoy's will kick any of these other choices.
Maybe I'm totally off when I question if any of these speakers are loud enough since I have a sub to handle anything from 100hz and down. It's not that I personally need to constantly monitor loud. Some clients want to be able to crank it up sometimes and I usually go to the lounge.
Thanks

RonIvan
PT LE 6.1, XP ProSP1, mBox, Athlon XP1800, MSI K7T, 512MB
Old 10-03-2004, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Best powered monitors for $400 or less

i would stay away from the Behringers, they're reliability(especially by some folks on this forum) is indeed very questionable.
I think that once you get used to mixing on whichever pair of monitors you decide to go with, in the long run it makes no difference. I own NS10's and the Alesis M1 actives and i like the M1's better. At the studio i work at, we have NS10's, KRK Expose 8's, and Meyer HD1's, and to be honest, I find that I can get almost the same results on the Alesis that I can on the HD1's...just learn your monitors...
Old 10-03-2004, 05:12 PM

Quote:
i would stay away from the Behringers, they're reliability(especially by some folks on this forum) is indeed very questionable.
Behringer products are at the bottom of the quality control list. This is a fact.

Quote:
I think that once you get used to mixing on whichever pair of monitors you decide to go with, in the long run it makes no difference.
Correct again.

Quote:
I own NS10's and the Alesis M1 actives and i like the M1's better. At the studio i work at, we have NS10's, KRK Expose 8's, and Meyer HD1's, and to be honest, I find that I can get almost the same results on the Alesis that I can on the HD1's...just learn your monitors...
Bingo.

Nightshade is 3 for 3 in his response. Let's just add the "the room you're mixng in is as - if not more - important that the monitors you use. That said, I'd go with the Alesis as well.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Nightshade is 3 for 3 in his response. Let's just add the "the room you're mixng in is as - if not more - important that the monitors you use. That said, I'd go with the Alesis as well.
with THAT said, i'd vote for the krk's. i have some in studio c and they translate real well to larger monitors. i like their reasonabley even response for a monitor in that class. decent low, decent top, not harsh. great for rock and pretty good for post work.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 12-22-2004, 04:44 AM

There really aren't any good new monitors for under 400 bucks, sorry to say. A used set of KRK V6's can be had for that, or less, and they're not bad.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:00 AM

If you are on a specific budget I would go for the KRK's, but if you are looking for something affordable and pretty nice that will last you for a while I would save $100 more and for $500 you can get a nice set of Event TR8's which have the same speaker set as the $1000 Event 20/20's. I am using a set of Creative Surround 5.1's at the moment and just purchased a pair of Event TR8's to toggle between and I thought the 5.1's were clear, but the TR8's blow them away!
Old 12-22-2004, 09:09 AM

Strange as it may sound, I'm now mixing with Alesis/Logitech z-680 5.1's. ($200 online) They sound great to me and blow away the M-Audio Sp-8's I was using. Although that may not be saying much. But I'm in a spare bedroom that I turned into home studio that never see's clients. Would be strange to be using Logitech speakers in a "real" studio. lol
Old 12-22-2004, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I would save $100 more and for $500 you can get a nice set of Event TR8's which have the same speaker set as the $1000 Event 20/20's.
I agree. I have TR8's and for the bang for the buck they are incredible.
I wouldnt go with less then an 8" speaker for low end reasons.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:13 PM

Go for the Alesis I have them after NS10's and my mixes are better now. When I was deciding I read all the stuff on the web about every monitor in that price range and finally the best for the money where the Alesis. Get them with no doubt, you will never be dissapointed
Old 12-23-2004, 01:35 AM

For what it's worth, even if you sell the NS-10's now, you may want to consider investing in a pair at some point. Perhaps it's just that I know them well, but it seems that if I can get a good sounding mix on those, I am 85 to 90% of the way to an awesome mix. However, I do prefer to reference thru another set of (hopefully much better) monitors along with the NS-10's. Just my two cents.

The Kid