Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-06-2003, 11:26 AM

Default overhead mic question

it seems no matter what i do when recording drums,my overheads pick up too much of the cymbals and highhats.does anyone have any techniques for minimizing this?the rest of the kit sounds great and the cymbals actually sound pretty good too,their just too loud.

thanks,
wayne
Old 01-06-2003, 11:30 AM

Default Re: overhead mic question

Question #1
Are you also close micing the drums, and if so what mics are you using?

Question #2
What kind of overhead mics are you using, and how many?

Question #3
How are you currently positioning those overheads.

Question #4
What type of room are you tracking in - size, reflective surfaces, ceilings, etc.?

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 01-06-2003, 11:35 AM

I would say that the overheads should have more cymbals in them than the rest of the kit.. Are you micing each drum seperately?
Old 01-06-2003, 01:03 PM

Could be that the cymbals are being hit too hard.
Also, you may want to try using a different room.

In my opinion overheads aren't just for cymbals.
I've always set up the overheads first to get the whole kit then used the kick, snare, tom mics to add dimension, power to the individual drums.

Really all depends on the drummer, the drums, the room, the mics and equipment, the style and sound you are going for.

It sounds like you have a good selection of mics. Try placing the Neumann mic out in the room rather than directly overhead.

Brian
http://www.landofchocolate.net

http://www.ephemeralsun.com
Old 01-06-2003, 01:10 PM

hey guys, thanks for the quick replies.im at work right now but ill try these things when i get home.its nice to have a place like this that people go out of their way to help you.

thank again,
wayne
Old 01-06-2003, 01:12 PM

I can't live without stereo, so I would use the two condensors as overheads, but remember if you have them above the cymbals, that's what you are going to hear. You should try and blend the close mics into the overheads to get the kick and snare to the right level in relation to your overheads.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:26 PM

experiment experiment experiment. Thats all I can say... easier said than done when you have a client on the clock, but the effort is worth it.
I currently have a super nice set of Gretch drums in my studio that belong to the drummer of my band. He graciously lets my other customers use them if they want to..easier than taking them down (we also practice in the studio) everytime I have a session.
It amazes me how I have to mic the same kit differently for every drummer that plays on it.
Usually I do 8 tracks of drums, close mic all the toms, one for the BD, 1 57 pointing directly on the snare, and I mic the hi-hats, which some folks dont do, but I like the extra control. I would like to have 2 overheads, but one has been enough.
Position that overhead in different directions and see what happens. not much useful info I know, but jsut keep trying and it will definatly get better!
keep us posted.
Kev
Old 01-07-2003, 12:22 AM

yea, i'm close micing the snare with an sm57 and the bass with a beta 52.i'm using a neumann tlm 103 and a cheap nady scm 900 for the overheads.ive got them about 2.5 ft above the set in front angled down and about 2ft apart.im recording in a carpeted bedroom about 15ftx15ft.

thanks,
wayne
Old 01-07-2003, 12:40 AM

If the overheads are picking up too much cymbals then rasie them up higher, cymbals are high frequency transient intruments meaning that the sound they produce is sharp and loud but carries little power, lower frequencies are produced by the toms, and lower frequencies have more power than higher frequencies so by time the cymbal signal reaches the mic(s) that have been moved back it will have less power, therfore it will be lower in signal, while the toms will have enough power in the signal to not be degraded by the extra distace. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Its all psyhics, as much as recording is an art its also a science.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 12:43 AM

SipiWayne -

I'd say you've got a nice mic selection to work with, and you're approach so far has been pretty standard. Many get very desirable results with similar setups and placement, but since you're getting more cymbal than you'd like, you may want to try a couple of things.

#1 - Try using only 1 OH mic (I'd go with the Neumann - drool), and rather than placing it over the kit, try in front of the kit about level with the top of the rack tom(s). You can often capture the "beef" of the drums quite nicley this way.

#2 - Try a combination of 1 OH and 1 room mic. Again I'd go with the Neumann (directly above and about a foot over the drummer's head), and then the Nady about four feet away, and in front of the kit at almost the same height as the OH mic. This may give you more of a "complete kit" sound, rather than a "directly over the cymbals sound".

#3 - No matter what, you may simply want to use more of your close mic signals durring the mix down. Experimentation is the key! Don't be affraid to try your mics in any number of combinations! You might find that the Nady condenser works great on the snare, and you can throw that 57 on a tom or HiHats.

Have fun, and please keep us posted. Or better yet, post you raw drum tracks with different mic setups and combos!

hope this helps!

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com