Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-22-2001, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Vocal reverbs

Check out Yamaha's latest room modeler: SREV-1. It starts (w/o controller) for around 5k.
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...gSPE00008SREV1

However, I concour...the Sony sounds dang good.
Old 12-22-2001, 01:33 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ISedlacek:
Do you think that Lexicon MPX-1 has different reverb algoritms and sound than 91, 960 and other "big" models ? At least Lexicon claims it is the same. I am using it but have no direct comparison.
How the mentioned Sony machine comes out in a comparison with MPX-1 ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there is a very distinct difference between the high end LEx machines and the cheaper ones. Mostly IMHO the high end is not as smooth, and they are not as quiet.

Regarding the V-55-vs-MPX-1, the V-55 blows it away. I've twice been mixing in other studios that had high end lex units, and the owners came in and commented on the "nice verb" I had from what they thought was their high end Lex. Imagine their surprise when I told them it was my $400 Sony. (One of them bought one shortly after.)

FYI, all the fx on the MP3's on our "Listen" page are the V-55 with the exception of the big delay stuff. That's a Roland SDE-3000.

www.npstudios.com
Old 12-23-2001, 12:24 AM

Do you think that Lexicon MPX-1 has different reverb algoritms and sound than 91, 960 and other "big" models ? At least Lexicon claims it is the same. I am using it but have no direct comparison.
How the mentioned Sony machine comes out in a comparison with MPX-1 ?
Old 12-24-2001, 07:00 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by where02190:

Regarding the V-55-vs-MPX-1, the V-55 blows it away.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You are absolutely right! I bought one the day after I first used/heard it in a studio!
Absolute bang fo the buck!

[but maybe we should not tell everyone?! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ]
Let's talk SOUND.... not features!
Old 12-24-2001, 07:16 PM

"She says she wants something "warmer" and "more open."

Check out the new Rode NTK mic also. It gives a big warm open presence, especially to female vocalists. I use it straight into Digi001 with the phantom off. It has its own power source. I use the Ren. Reverb with it and we have great luck getting that warmth and open sound you are wanting.
I haven't tried the Lex reverbs, but so far the onboard Reverbs are better than the outboards. I'll have to check those others out.
Good luck.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2001, 12:03 AM

[but maybe we should not tell everyone?! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ][/QB][/QUOTE]

I've pondered this very question:

Who suffers most, when a great new song is played over and over...and it began as a gnarily black-face adat recording?

Sonically speaking. We do.

...the ol flappers are sensitive. Who knows, hi-fi audio may usher in a new era of whirled peas, and not just more brocolli.

.02 fleas
Old 12-25-2001, 12:19 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GIE:

Yep... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You are absolutely right! I bought one the day after I first used/heard it in a studio!
Absolute bang fo the buck!

[but maybe we should not tell everyone?! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Merry Christmas to you AND your studio budget!!!!!
And Yes we should tell everyone, so we all have more money to spend on MORE GEAR!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> I haven't tried the Lex reverbs, but so far the onboard Reverbs are better than the outboards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've yet to hear ANY plug-in reverb sound even remotely as good as the real thing, and I know many highly respected engineers and producers that will agree.
Old 12-25-2001, 09:26 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Christoph1123:
The Korg Oasys PCI card has a great reverb on it called O-verb...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used O-verb and its definitely an improvement over DVerb. Anyone have an opinion how it stands up against RenVerb, True Verb or Real Verb.
Old 12-25-2001, 04:00 PM

You can't use it in PT LE, but I have heard good things about Altiverb for DP. Anyone using DP, 001 and Altiverb?
Old 12-26-2001, 12:42 AM

I'm not happy with any plug-in verb. I despise the D-verb. Have not heard Real Verb. Ren Verb is decent, but still a little "funny". Trueverb is OK. They all sound weird to me. I much prefer the verb in my Promix, believe it or not.

HOWEVER... I had the chance to use digi's new Reverb One, and I must say the Hall setting on music has a real sweet tail. I was really blown away... but I haven't spent a whole lot of time with it. I guess for the money outboard would probably still win.