Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-07-2021, 10:11 PM

Default Hide folders but not tracks

I already know the answer to this, but I'm asking anyway in the hope someone has an idea that could work for me.

I love to use folders, especially for mixing, but when I'm writing I like to have instrument tracks stacked directly on top of each so I can see what's going on.

It would be great I there was a way to hide the folders but not the tracks in the folder.

I find myself moving tracks out of the folders when working then having to move them back at the end which is time consuming.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Hide folders but not tracks

That is a shortcoming of things as they are now. A better bet would likely be to leave folder tracks out of your template and add them later, or use the tried and true Bus>Aux method that doesn't "glue" itself to the tracks that route thru it.(those Aux tracks can be converted to Routing Folders later)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-09-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
I already know the answer to this, but I'm asking anyway in the hope someone has an idea that could work for me.

I love to use folders, especially for mixing, but when I'm writing I like to have instrument tracks stacked directly on top of each so I can see what's going on.

It would be great I there was a way to hide the folders but not the tracks in the folder.

I find myself moving tracks out of the folders when working then having to move them back at the end which is time consuming.
Wouldn't that be similar to "I like to organize files in subfolders but sometimes I like to see them together without the subfolders" In the Finder, that only would work in a weird Search setup, but for Pro Tools, I guess you have to make up your mind where you want to place your Track (inside or outside).
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 03-10-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
Wouldn't that be similar to "I like to organize files in subfolders but sometimes I like to see them together without the subfolders" In the Finder, that only would work in a weird Search setup, but for Pro Tools, I guess you have to make up your mind where you want to place your Track (inside or outside).
I was thinking more like a "hide folder" option, which they do have, except it wouldn't hide the folder contents. It's a bit clunky, you could get yourself in a real mess if you started moving things around.

Another thought I had was a "move to parent" option. This would work well because currently if you move a track out of a aux folder the routing doesn't change. This way you could move tracks around and at the end move them back to where they belong easily.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
I was thinking more like a "hide folder" option, which they do have, except it wouldn't hide the folder contents. It's a bit clunky, you could get yourself in a real mess if you started moving things around.

Another thought I had was a "move to parent" option. This would work well because currently if you move a track out of a aux folder the routing doesn't change. This way you could move tracks around and at the end move them back to where they belong easily.

You are right, moving that ins and out of the folder would be quite messy, especially with Routing Folder Tracks.

Maybe it is also messy when coding a "Show/hide Folder (but not its Member Tracks)" and that's why it is not available. Although it would be a cool feature.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 03-10-2021, 02:57 PM

This seems like a thoroughly daft idea to me but maybe I haven't got my head around the concept.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:52 PM

You could create a midi track for each instrument, and program from there.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:13 PM

In the Edit window, you can at least make folder tracks "micro," which makes them nearly hidden. But in the Mix window, unfortunately, they take up whichever track width the rest do. As someone pointed out, hidden folders could be dangerous. It could result in inadvertently moving a track out of its routing folder, which would change the mix. Maybe an acceptable compromise would be to allow folder tracks to be extremely narrow in the Mix window as well as the Edit window. The names would be unreadable, but colors could still be used for reliable identification.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 03-10-2021, 10:04 PM

I solved this by having each VI-based folder (Strings) having a Basic sub-folder called “Inactive (Strings)”. All VIs are in there, deactivated, and the ones I use, I pull out to the main level of the (Strings) Folder (and activate them). This way, I can Hide the Inactive sub folder and only see the Instruments and the top-level Folders (which I shrink to Micro while working)

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-11-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I solved this by having each VI-based folder (Strings) having a Basic sub-folder called “Inactive (Strings)”. All VIs are in there, deactivated, and the ones I use, I pull out to the main level of the (Strings) Folder (and activate them). This way, I can Hide the Inactive sub folder and only see the Instruments and the top-level Folders (which I shrink to Micro while working)
That's pretty much what I'm doing but it's a pain