Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2001, 12:07 AM

Default Opinions invited for new system

I’m experienced when it comes to recording but a novice in the world of PT and would appreciate some advice. There are so many options –– and so many salesmen’s opinions –– that I would like to hear from some users.

I’d like to know your pick for components, where to buy, and what’s fair price.

Application for the system will be primarily [a] recording music beds and voice over for video via Quick Time files [b] overdubs [c] mixing a few album projects.

Here’s a starting point for the system:
PT Mix Core 5.1, Mac G4 533 384MB/40/CDRW OS 9.1 (unsure about DP due to conflicts), Control 24 w/cables, Apogee Trak2 w/digi card & D/A card, (2) 18 Gig Cheetahs, SCSI Kit 64 dual ATTO w/cab. Other items of interest DVD-RW and maybe firewire HD’s. Not sure about firewire vs. SCSI.

It seems fairly easy to pick up the Mix Core system for around 5K - 5.5K as a new Plus with Farm Card removed or as a used system. I don’t have any street prices yet for the Control 24 w/cables.

Thanks for your help.
OS 10.4.11
Old 04-05-2001, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Opinions invited for new system

Other items of interest DVD-RW and maybe firewire HD’s. Not sure about firewire vs. SCSI.

The SuperDrive (DVD-R and CD-RW, not DVD-RW) is only good for either audio or movies, not for data backup. Get an AIT Tape backup, or DVD-RAM.
As far as I know, there are still some problems with latency in the firewire drives. Digi will only offer support for the system if you use SCSI.

It seems fairly easy to pick up the Mix Core system for around 5K - 5.5K as a new Plus with Farm Card removed or as a used system. I don’t have any street prices yet for the Control 24 w/cables.

The Control 24 is $7500 street price (Guitar Center). The cables are what's gonna get you (as always). All of the important connections are D-sub out of the C24. So you will need D-sub to TRS or XLR or whatever the rest of your studio/PT rig has.

Check out the March 2001 issue of EQ for a review of the C24.

------------------
Chris
[email protected]
Old 04-05-2001, 10:12 PM

Chris' reply is spot on. (this is the second time tonight that I am following one of his posts that I agree with completely).

If by DP you meant Digital Performer- its very stable. It's my main app.
SCSI is currently the way to go, although firewire is going to catch up with the new drives with the oxford chip.
Consider a HUI instead of a 24 if you can do without the big look to impress clients.
good luck
ed
Old 04-05-2001, 10:25 PM

The Control 24 has been on the street for less than 7K at some places. Also, I'd highly recommend spending the extra money for it, as well as getting a MixPlus system-- it really goes ALOT further than a Mix Core system (And you get all those cool plugins...).
Old 04-06-2001, 03:16 AM

don't forget:
DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP DSP
buy at least a Mixplus

------------------
somewhere in the planet
Old 04-06-2001, 11:21 AM

Thanks to everyone for your useful information -- I'll check into a MixPlus for sure.

By the way, what about one vs. two monitors. Is it worth the extra cost? What type of interface would you advise?

Thanks again.
OS 10.4.11
Old 04-07-2001, 10:02 AM

IMHO one monitor is fine, but I only use one app at a time.

Come to think about it, it would be nice to have my audio card controls on a seperate monitor...
Old 04-07-2001, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AIllusion:
By the way, what about one vs. two monitors. Is it worth the extra cost? What type of interface would you advise?
Thanks again.
In ref. to interface for dual monitors Matrox makes one "G450" and I believe ATi forget which model ...I think "all-in-wonder" family
Good luck on your rig!

------------------
"Have you seen my 2 inch reel??"
Old 04-09-2001, 07:54 AM

If you're considering the $7500 for the control surface (which, IMHO, is a glorified mouse) you should definately consider the $1000 for a second monitor & display card... I use dual displays and couldn't imagine going back to 1 monitor... If you plan on taking advantage of the editing features of PT, I think you'll find that flipping between the editing window & mixing window gets old pretty fast.

good luck...