Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2002, 11:07 AM

Default Why do G4\'s and Type 1 errors go hand in hand?

We have 3 G4's, all AV systems running 5.1.1, OS 9.1 or greater, at least 512Mb RAM, and each one of them has a Type 1 error when starting it's first session of the day. Every Day. It doesn't happpen on our 2 9600 AV systems. It doesn't matter if the drives are fragmented or not, because it happens even after I use Disk Warrior and Disk Doctor and Speed Disk and TechTool Pro. It doesn't matter if I've trashed preferences. So what's the deal? I would really appreciate some feedback from Digi on this one. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:54 AM
Avid

Default Re: Why do G4\'s and Type 1 errors go hand in hand?

How do you resolve the error: do you simply click "OK" and relaunch Pro Tools or do you restart (warm boot) the computer?

If the latter, is it assumed then that this only happens after you power on the system?

-Make sure that you Minimum memory values are at default for both PT and DAE.

-Do you still get the same error if you launch Pro Tools from its application icon and then use the File>Open Session command?

-Which drive in your system holds the authorization for PTAV? Based on this AnswerBase Entry it is possible that your system is having issues finding the authorization on your system(s).

-In the meantime, create a Mac OS Base+Digi+OMS extension set and see if anything changes.

Brent
Old 06-21-2002, 01:56 PM

I keep getting this also with my New 192 Digital.

OS 9.2.2
PT 5.3.1 (allocated 150 MB)
QS G4/733 1.2GB RAM

This is a fresh install too. nothing but Mac stuff, PT and OMS.

Strange!

I did some research and a Error of Type 1 is a Bus Error.

Digi, please clue us in on this.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:05 AM

Hi Brent, thanks for the reply.

Quote:
How do you resolve the error: do you simply click "OK" and relaunch Pro Tools or do you restart (warm boot) the computer?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We restart(warm boot) the computer. In the past, if we didn't restart the computer, the computer would fully crash.

Quote:
If the latter, is it assumed then that this only happens after you power on the system?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It usually happens after the first powerup of the day , but it has been known to happen at the end of the day after the system has been used all day long.

Quote:
Make sure that you Minimum memory values are at default for both PT and DAE.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They are.

Quote:
Do you still get the same error if you launch Pro Tools from its application icon and then use the File>Open Session command?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That I do not know. I will check that out.

Quote:
Which drive in your system holds the authorization for PTAV? Based on this AnswerBase Entry it is possible that your system is having issues finding the authorization on your system(s).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The authorizations are on the same drive as the PTAV application. Based on various conversations I've had with phone support, I've reinstalled PTAV a number of times on each computer. The application has never asked for further authorization. If the authorization is indeed at the root of my problem, how do I deauthorize PTAV so that I can reauthorize it?

Quote:
In the meantime, create a Mac OS Base+Digi+OMS extension set and see if anything changes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Done it. Nothing changes.

Hopefully this will twig something and get us on the right track to make it stop happening. Thanks again Brent!
Old 06-26-2002, 07:52 AM
Avid

To eliminate the possibility of the copy protection causing problems, go ahead and deauthorize AVOption with the floppy and then reauthorize the drive. In addition, make sure the USB Floppy Enabler v2.1.2 is installed and included in your active extension set.

If that doesn't help, please post your slot order of both the Mac and your Chassis.

Brent
Old 07-03-2002, 09:39 AM

Hey Brent.

I de-authorized and re-authorized the AV options of the G4's, as well as installing USB Floppy Enabler v2.1.2. and trashing prefs. So far so good. I'll post my observations. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2002, 11:42 AM

good job Brent [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2002, 06:47 PM

Hi Brent, I have experienced the same problem - having to boot twice to launch a protools session. (10 days now).. Power up-Start up, launch protools from the system drive, try to open a session (OPEN), and it crashes when finding the "insert" "plug-in" on the last few tracks...Hard re-boot. It works for most of the day. System is: G4 933, OS 9.2.2, OMF, Atto express dual, Storcase/Kingston hot swaps.
Is there any way that you can publish a complete list of 'extensions' for Mac OS that are necessary, and those that cause known problems..? Can you publish a complete Mac 'configuration' ;ie; memory, monitors, extensions, preferences, for the newest 192 HD..? -and older systems..?
The tech documents available on the new HD 192 do not list the I/O Setup for the D/A expansion card..in the pin-out configuration (DB-25 connector) for analog output. (I/O Setup Pull-down selection).
How many watts does a 192 HD consume? (UPS requires..) Why does the Output DB-25 say "Do not connect unbalanced loads - with the "LO"-pin connected?...
Docs, docs, and more documentation could be extemely useful. It would be extremely helpful if Digi had a useful search engine on the DUC topics and the web site because some of this information is already here - j
Anyway, we get it to work somehow. Thanks.