Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-27-2004, 03:21 PM

Default QT codecs from Nitris for PT HD 6.4

Problem: The editor I'm working with laid off a 3min trailer as a QT. I opened it on a Mac (OSX 10.3.4) in PT 6.2 no problem. Now we're on the full film and I'm on PT 6.4. The reels are exported to QT - same codec. They won't open in ProTools 6.4. I've tried importing them to FCP, DVDSP and opening in QT. Each time it says QuickTime cannot read the file. Also - I can open the OMFs, tracks are created, but then I get the message that the audio can't be read. Is this a 6.4 problem or do I get the editor to double-check everything?

Any ideas?

G4 dual 1.25, OSX 10.3.4, 1.75Gb RAM, PT 6.4
Old 07-27-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: QT codecs from Nitris for PT HD 6.4

Hello. First thing to check is the QuickTime version. I believe a Pro Tools install also does a QuickTime install. In other words, it's possible back when you had PT 6.2 your QuickTime version was 4.3 (to make one up for the sake of argument). As you install PT 6.4 a new version of QuickTime 4.4 is installed that has an issue with the codecs you are using.

Check that. Try other QT codecs from the Avid also.

Good luck.

P.S. Glasgow huh? I am a Single Malt aficionado. What's a good Single Malt in your opinion?
Old 07-27-2004, 04:21 PM

Froyo - gracias.

QT version is fine. I'm on QT Pro 6.5.1, which I use with FCP 4.5 and DVDSP 3. I just don't know. I've trawled through on the OMF front, and tried some of the suggestions I've seen (opening the OMF file, rather than importing - copying files rather than linking) there is a difference: If I import and link, I get a dialogue saying the files have to be copied it runs through copying, then puts "converting" ion the paused tasks window - they refuse to resume. Now - if I open the OMF and copy the files - they all copy, and when they've finished copying, PT crashes. I keep a clean machine, I've repaired permissions, done the sudo periodic and forced prebinding. A conundrum. I've read that this is an Digitranslator 2 thing, but I had no probs with it until 6.4

Video-wise I'll get the editor to try other codecs (anyone who can name one from Nitris that they know works?). Audio-wise - I'm stumped! It's a feature, audio is last minute (isn't it always?) and panic is setting in.

My favourite malt is Laphroaig. mmmm
Old 07-28-2004, 12:00 AM

Just to be sure, I reloaded a previous QT - all was fine. I also reloaded the OMF from it: also fine. The OMF was only 3min long, whereas the one that won't load without crashing or remaining silent (nice choices) is 20min long. Having said that; I've tried another earlier OMF from FCP, which is 21 min long. I just don't get it.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:40 AM

Got the editor to try different lengths of QT files, having read on the Nitris forum that there were potential problems with various things once you crossed the 5.5 minutes mark. We tried a QT of 10min - nothing. A QT of 5min - opened fine. AS DID THE OMF! I'm not sure what I've figured out from this. It might not be PT at all, but Nitris (the long QT opened on the wintel machine fine). I'll post this on the Avid boards also. Hopefully it'll be of some help to anyone in the same position. You have to limit your export (from Nitris) to 5 min or less.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:05 AM

As far as the OMF goes is it over 2gig. The Avid stuff will not create an OMF over 2gig. We deal with it by having the media composer give us handles on the audio but getting rid of the unused stuff.

just a thought.