Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2000, 10:32 PM

Default Re: What an embarassment!

rednroll

You hit the nail on the head.

Its not about who is a "professional"

Its about the quality of the work you produce.
I work everyday in studio's as a voiceover announcer and I see EVERY system known. The true professional can make any system work and the finished product top notch...within the obvious limits. The real issue here is can those who only know the Protools system look at other system choices with an open mind?
I have a friend..a recording engineer in LA who works with the Best of the Best in music. He uses a combo of systems. He also is helping system engineers write tighter code for PC use. As an example, a program he uses allows him to mix in LA..send an edit list file via email to a producer in England...let the prodcer listen..make changes..send back the edit list file..and the work coninues! Look at the way it happens...a PC in LA recorded the material, the producer took ALL the material with him to London Eng...he then has the option on his ..granted..high end laptop..of making chnages and sending it back..all in the PC not MAC enviornment. So there is another world out there. For those of you who think that Protools is the only system...look around..others are catching up and surpassing abilities. But please untill you have fully researched and TRIED the other systems..please don;t slam. Those of us in here who are asking why PTF won't work are doing what you should do. Trying other systems. Face it, we all want our work to be the best it can be and we will try other options. It is truly unfortunate that the digidesign PTF fails to work on so many systems. A demo should have limited use, and greater latitude. The whole idea of offering the free demo is to get those of us who don't use a digidesign product to switch. But why would anyone using a PC system..and yes there are some pretty fnie high end systems out there..switch based on this demo?
If a musician/announcer/writer etc send you a demo and says there are flaws..BUT JUST WAIT TILL THE NEST ONE!!!..would you even open it?
I was extremely interested in the digidesign product..i have seen it in use thousands of times..ad this release was a major "look see" for me. But I'm not the only one reporting problems..too many people are reporting problems. Its poor code, and even worse marketing. And if you're in this biz..you live and die on the reputation of your last job..no matter who you are.
Digi is a quality company who has made a major mistake. The PTF is not a maketing success by anyones standards.
Old 11-03-2000, 07:07 AM

"The "Professional" studio that I worked in Used Ams Neve Audiophile editors...I believe Disney uses those too.."

I've used the AudioFile - it was pretty state of the art about 1995. Nowadays if people are still using it, it's probably because they're not done paying them off yet. ProTools has blown away the AudioFile since PT24 and PT4.3.2.

Mike
Old 11-03-2000, 08:07 AM

Pro Tools not a professional system? I've heard they used PT in "Star Wars Phantom Menance" and numerous other movies and music recordings ... Oh well, maybe that's why this "Star Wars" movie was a flop ... Or was it something else?

CD Mastering? Sonic Solutions is the best (32-bit, 192kHz, multitasking ...)
Sound for Pictures? Probably the DSP Postation?
Audio Editing for Post? SADiE?
Music Production? Pro Tools rules!

There's just too many choices. All are professional systems, some are newer, some are older. All good systems. Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?
Old 11-03-2000, 09:03 AM

twas001...perhaps what you don't understand is that in a windows environment,if the program follows microsoft code requirements for writing the program,,the machine configuration is irrelevant as long as windows specs are followed.

------------------
Old 11-03-2000, 09:33 AM

Please don't misunderstand my position..I am
not bashing digi(I had Session 8,have the digi 001,and I am waiting for my new mix plus system,I like the pro tools environment..I
simply think that digi has been unable to address their mac-bias,this coupled with the fact that they have been unsuccesful in obtaining top quality windows programmers to
properly write new source code for pt in the windows environment..Why don't the pc =biased
audio corps have trouble with the various pc
configs.

------------------
Old 11-03-2000, 03:08 PM

Mike and Jeff, you must have misunderstood my post. I did not say that Protools was not a professional tool, I like Protools and would like it to be a success on a PC. I was just showing an anology to "eldogs" reasoning calling other users "non professional". Others that use the Neve's and SSL's laugh at the protool users, because their systems cost $40,000 for a simple 8 track editor. I agree that Protools is better than the Neve but his argument was ignorant and insulting, to people looking for better alternatives like the PC. If you want to be locked in a closet being a die hard MAC Protools guy, then do so and shut up, but don't be surprised when the rest of the world passes you by.
Old 11-03-2000, 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jdmatt:
twas001...perhaps what you don't understand is that in a windows environment,if the program follows microsoft code requirements for writing the program,,the machine configuration is irrelevant as long as windows specs are followed.

If this is the case then why is everyone having problems but myself and a few others. So what are you saying? The working ones were written to windows code but then all of the others are wrong, or that none of the people know how to properly install the program because it should work on every system. I guess I really don't care anymore cause mine works and I'll probably use my Yamaha DSP and MxTrax more anyway. Yah know the card equivalent to a Yamaha O2R.
Old 11-04-2000, 12:01 AM

Actually I'm not inclined towards the Mac OS. And I've been recommending PC systems for people. My *secret* wish is that Pro Tools will one day run on PC system with Linux OS, guess that'll be another few years away though ...
Old 11-04-2000, 05:34 AM

twas001: what I am suggesting is that at some level in the code digi may have not followed microsoft protocol...EXACTLY...THIS WOULD
DEFINITLY lead to erratic results on different pc machines..this is not my opinio,
but a quote from a senior win98 tech on a pay
for service call to microsoft.

------------------
Old 11-04-2000, 10:05 AM

jdmatt, understood. I do agree that something like that is probably the case. Not to change the subject but another thing I've noticed around here is that everyone seems to be hung up on this professional bit. My personal opinion on this subject is that unless your main income is in recording and or multimedia work you are not a professional. I am not a professional engineer. Yes I did goto school for audio engineering but my main income comes from the home theater/automation industry. Therfore I am not a professional engineer. Can I produce professional quality recordings? Yes if I want and take the time. As far as a program being professional or not, it's all in the users ability to make it work. Cakewalk can be a professional program in the right hands. (ie. John Anderson of Yes is a prime example.) Someone here said that MIDI is not Pro Audio. I beg to differ. Many professionals use MIDI on a daily basis and some professional engineer had to sample those sequences/sounds anyway. Are there some second rate software/hardware devices? Only if you make them second rate. The audio engineering field in my opinion is all about experimentation. Question. Are ADAT's professional? When they came out many engineers hated the idea of the multitrack recorder that would soon change the way music is being recorded. I've learned over the past ten years that the music industry is full of pretencious people who always think they have the right ideas and don't think that there is always a better way to do something. They just can't admit that they might(not always) be making something harder than it needs to be. I am guilty of that from time to time. I do apoligise if I've p***ed off anyone here but I just see the music industry turning like everything else in this world. Competetive! It shouldn't be that way. We should all be able to learn from one another. And by that I mean don't look down on someone if they don't have the same ideas as yourself. I believe that this might be a big learning experience for Digidesign and hopefully they can fix it otherwise there are going to be many people looking elswhere. I know I did when the Digi001 came out. That was all because of this user conference site. Hey! I went to Digidesigns website and decided against buying their product because of it. So don't think it's the end of the world if ProTools doesn't work for you. There are many other programs that'll do the job. You just might have to use the manual for a while. Good luck to everyone.