Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2001, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Macintosh PT Free and MacOS USB Audio

Amen N9YTY and wager47!

From a Pro Tools user since 1994.
Old 03-27-2001, 09:35 PM

Well, let me throw my sad hat into the ring. I'd thought I'd be able to get rid of my analog reel-to-reel but now it seems I can't do multi-track recording with Pro Tools Free with my iCube. And it sounds like I can't do multi-track recording at all!

Is there any other software alternative? Digital Performer? regular Pro Tools? Deck?

Old 04-04-2001, 11:54 AM

Yes, it *DOES* work.

I did a clean install of MacOS 9.1 on my iBook, and then installed some "borrowed" extensions from a new PowerBook G4, and finally (not sure if this is relevant or not!) I updated the firmware in my Griffin iMic to the "just released" update (NOT the control panel, but acutaly firmware for the iMic). I installed OMS and ProTools, and now have it up and running on my iBook.

I guess this was not ever DigiDesign's fault to begin with, and I apologize for giving DigiDesign grief over this.
Old 04-07-2001, 04:18 PM

I am creative services director for a radio station in Dallas, TX. Also own a commercial production studio on the side. Use PT Free at the station and my outside studio to send two track commercials as MP3 files to clients. Installed it on a PC at the station and on a G3 Powerbook at my studio. Never had any problems for any reason. I realize I am not using PTF for heavy duty multi track recording but hey, it's free! I'm always reminded of this each time I read the crap posted in here dissing Digidesign. If you don't like that it won't work with your USB hardware go find software that will. Check out www.hitsquad.com. Tons of free and demo software there. Or,have patience and wait for an upgrade to PTF. Stop whining. Ok, now you can trash my butt with posts. Cool.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mibm:
Did you get any solution?
I am trying to use an iMic in an iBook.
It works with Logic but not with Protools Free.
Please, let me know if you have learn something.
Hi, I'm using imic with ibook and Logic Audio Fun, but I can't record audio at all.
I know the imic is working because I can record alert sounds. Any ideas please.
Old 04-21-2001, 01:39 AM

N9YTY

What extensions did you borrow from the Powerbook?

Thanks,

------------------
Mike Thornton
One Stop Digital (OSD) Ltd.
http://www.osd-uk.com
Old 04-21-2001, 07:22 AM

It turns out to be Apple Audio Extension 1.3.3 that is the critical portion. There was also a slightly updated Sound control panel, Volume control strip, and Sound Scripting additions.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the updates. I have now been able to duplicate your success with the iMic and the USB Pre. Now the only thing I can't figure out is why these devices work only on certain computers.
I have an iMac, (rev B) a Lombard PB, Pismo PB, and the new G4 Titanium. They all have 9.1 installed. Both the iMic and USB Pre work fine on the Lombard and the iMac, but not the Pismo or the G4. What I mean by not working fine is - I can get input, but it is noisy with intermittent popping. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-25-2001, 08:55 AM

I can't be sure about this, but I'm starting to form an opinion...

You mentioned your Pismo and G4 that are giving problems with noise/popping. I'm also having problems with my iBook, but not a Blue & White G3.

I don't know if you applied the recent firmware updates to your computers, but I did to mine. I just have a "hunch" that something is amiss here. They did note something about USB improvements.... :-(

Could be way off track, so don't hold me to it, but before the firmware updates the iMic used to work great without these glitches in SoundJam and other apps, but now it's noisy there too.

Old 04-25-2001, 01:31 PM

I think you are right on with the firmware updates. I did update the firmware on the Pismo and I assumed that the Titanium did not need it. I did not update the other computers because of the older ram. This makes sense.