Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2017, 08:21 AM

Default 11r + ax8

Hi everyone, I recently bought a Fractal AX8 which I connect to my 11R via S/PDIF, my question is...How can I completely bypass the 11R RIG (amps + fx + cab sims) and use it simply as an interface? Thanks
Old 12-18-2017, 08:56 AM

Default 11r + ax8

You just ah use it as an interface in Pro Tools in the standard way you use any interface. The S/PDIF Input does not go through the Eleven Rack rig, you have to specifically be recording Rig Output not S/PDIF In in the DAW to get that. And you have to be assigning rig input in the Eleven Rack to S/PDIF In to get the AX8 output to go through the rig at all (which you can still do... but why do if you don’t want to record the rig)...

One benefit of an Axe FXII would have been just being able to directly use it as an audio interface. Without S/PDIF In you also cannot digitally reamp through the AX8 which you can with the FXII (via USB or S/PDIF or AES/EBU). Just wanted you to be clear of the differences as a recording platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-18-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:31 AM

Default Re: 11r + ax8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You just ah use it as an interface in Pro Tools in the standard way you use any interface. The S/PDIF Input does not go through the Eleven Rack rig, you have to specifically be recording Rig Output not S/PDIF In in the DAW to get that. And you have to be assigning rig input in the Eleven Rack to S/PDIF In to get the AX8 output to go through the rig at all (which you can still do... but why do if you don’t want to record the rig)...

One benefit of an Axe FXII would have been just being able to directly use it as an audio interface. Without S/PDIF In you also cannot digitally reamp through the AX8 which you can with the FXII (via USB or S/PDIF or AES/EBU). Just wanted you to be clear of the differences as a recording platform.

Ok I wasn't (am not) sure if assigning Rig (S/PDIF) on the 11R editor will bypass the 11R rig.....and the reason I don't use the Fractal as a recording interface is because the Fractal AX8 USB interface doesn't have Audio capabilities. I don't know where did you get the FXII from since I didn't mention one (I only bought the AX8). And the reason I just want the AX8 on the signal path and want everything from the 11R bypassed it's simply because the AX8 emulation is insanely better than the 11R. But thanks anyway.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:42 AM

Default 11r + ax8

I gave you the full answer... you just record from the Eleven Rack S/PDIF In input in your DAW and the rig processing is and cannot ever be involved in that signal path. If you are not sure how to use different inputs in Pro Tools speak up.

Why do you care what the rig input is or what the rig is doing at all? I mentioned rig input to try to explain you should not care. Put away the Eleven Rack editor, it is irrelevant here.

I know the AX8 is not an audio interface if it was I would have suggested using it as one. I mentioned the Axe FX II because it offers more in a recording environment, and since you are trying to use the AX8 to do that I wanted you to be clear on the differences, including if you just purchased the AX8 and wanted to return/upgrade to the FXII.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Default Re: 11r + ax8

Hmm ok cheers.