How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Default Pro tools 11 hangs when using too much memory

Hello!

When pro tools use more than 15 gb ram it hangs and crashes. Any idea why? I use mostly kontakt 5.5 with Berlin strings etc.

My system:
Pro tools 11(last version)
osx is 10.8.5
Hdx card with avid Hd Analog 16x16
Mac pro 2012 maxed out(sort of), 64 GB ram
No other apps running at the same time when pro tools hangs.

Not activated memory server in kontakt.
Not activated multicore support in kontakt
Pro tools HDX, Avid HD I/O 16x16 analog,

http://jonatanmusik.com/
Old 02-17-2018, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 11 hangs when using too much memory

It crashed exactly how? With what error message? How are you determining how much memory Pro Tools uses? And if you see the memory consumption slowly going up and Pro Tools then hangs or crashes it’s more likely what is causing the memory to be used is also causing the crash, and as often... the suspects you need to troubleshoot for are third party plugins. Standard troubleshooting steps are under “help us help you” up top of every DUC page. Start with trashing prefs and removing all third party plugin files from the plugin folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 10:26 PM

No error message.

When the instruments are loading in my kontakt 5 instances, I follow the ram buildup in the system monitor app in mountain lion. Where it also says that pro tools are not responding anymore when around 14-15 GB of RAM is used by pt. Then I have to force quit pt.

Perhaps it's a kontakt 5-thing.
Pro tools HDX, Avid HD I/O 16x16 analog,

http://jonatanmusik.com/
Old 02-17-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhanni View Post
No error message.

When the instruments are loading in my kontakt 5 instances, I follow the ram buildup in the system monitor app in mountain lion. Where it also says that pro tools are not responding anymore when around 14-15 GB of RAM is used by pt. Then I have to force quit pt.

Perhaps it's a kontakt 5-thing.
It is very likely a Kontakt 5 thing. Everything points to that as the suspect. If it's not that then it's next most likely to be a corrupt session.

It's kinda easier to check the session for corruption first, so try starting with a new empty session and using Kontakt in that, and if that works then try importing your current session into a new empty session.

If that is not it, move the Kontakt .aaxplugin file out of the plugin folder, trash prefs and start Pro Tools and see if sessions get much further without Kontakt. If it does then check you have the latest Kontakt software and their forums and/or contact their support to see if this is a known problem. You can also try uninstalling and reinstalling Kontakt.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 PM

I'm experiencing the exact same issue here. I'm quite a few versions up from you at the moment but I remember having the same issue back on PT11/10.8 as well.

Right now I'm PT HD 2018.1 and Sierra and the system usually ends up beachballing when reaching around 15 Gb of memory usage. This happens exclusively when loading large amounts of Kontakt sample libraries--the system is otherwise rock solid. If I let it sit for 20-30 minutes PT sometimes starts responding again so it is actually not always a complete crash, just a VERY long wait.

I can load 60 Gb + of samples in Logic X without any instability issues. I agree that this is an issue that is related specifically to Kontakt and Pro Tools that is yet to be fixed by the developers unfortunately. The workaround is to use Vienna Ensemble Pro for now.

Sorry to bring you the bad news but it is unlikely that updating to the latest Kontakt will help you with this issue.