Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 PM

Default Upgrade to 5.1 surround and bass management

Good afternoon everyone:

I plan to upgrade my current stereo Pro Tools 10 native setup to a full 5.1 surround system. I already bought the CPTK last year (after saving some money) and now that I have a good paying job that will last for at least several more months and I just got my tax refund, I'll have a few thousand $ to invest.

I currently have two JBL 2328 speakers, and plan to buy three more of these (center and two surrounds), plus the 2320 subwoofer that matches these speakers. I like them and in terms of budget they give me excellent bang for the buck (I listened to them in comparison to other speakers and they can certainly hold their own in the same pricing range). For approx $ 1,400 I'd be in business inasfar as the speakers are concerned.

Now, here's my question, I have an M Audio profire 2626 soundcard which has 8 physical outputs which is enough for 5.1 with two channels to spare. But I do need bass management, correct, for two reasons:

1. to get a reasonably accurate listening environment
2. to have a 'kill switch' if something nasty happens like noise burst or something really loud.

I've been thinking of the blue skye BMC MK III, that seems to be a decent unit which won't break the bank right? And this works with any brand of actively powered speakers, not just the blue sky speakers, right?

Or should I go for a software solution? But then I wouldn't have the 'kill switch'. Also I don't want to be limited to just Pro Tools for surround (I have other programs like Reaper and software synths like Absynth that have surround capabilities as well), and the surround plugin by Waves is pretty darn expensive (much more so than this hardware unit I believe).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks!

Last edited by peter5992; 05-05-2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: forgot to ask something
Old 05-06-2013, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Upgrade to 5.1 surround and bass management

Just a note on the budget of 1.4k$ total for a surround-"kit". This is about the cost where I'd say ONE decent front speaker starts.
My two cents: first invest your money in a good LCR front that you'll be happy with for many years before wasting it on a mediocre 5.1 set. And then add the surrounds when you have saved up enough again. An LCR front is absolutely essential for sound editing work for film. Surround isn't. It's nice to have but if your budget is limited don't waste money by getting as many speakers for your money, it will simply reduce quality for the entire set. First get the best possible front.
What I'd do: Buy 3 LSR6328 and use your 2328 for the surrounds for now. This will put your entire kit into a different league. Buy the woofer later. It's not a must-have. Especially not in small room and a full-range front. Then you don't need the bass management in the first place. A used surround volume knob like the SPL SMC 2489 will do.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 05-06-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM

I defer to Frank's knowledge in this area, but will add one more thing. The JBL 4300 series comes with a remote control that acts as a pretty good surround monitor controller. That feature alone saved me thousands when I switched up to surround.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Also, for basic volume and mute, there are other audio interfaces that allow you to configure their monitor sections for surround as well as stereo. These include the Mbox 3 Pro, Focusrite Saffire 56 and 40 and 18i20, Apogee Ensemble and Quartet, as well as others. Depending on how simple your setup is, it might be something to consider.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Many thanks for the feedback! That is very useful.

I didn't mention that I am in a quite large room which at the moment isn't treated at all so before spending serious money on monitors I have to budget for that first (which I'm trying to get a handle on now; it is a bit complex) as even the best monitors won't sound very good in a poorly treated room.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 AM

forgot:

the "strategy" I suggested doesn't really work if you want to mix on that system because then you might need 5.1 from the start. Obviously you can't mix for 5.1 if you don't have all the channels.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
forgot:

the "strategy" I suggested doesn't really work if you want to mix on that system because then you might need 5.1 from the start. Obviously you can't mix for 5.1 if you don't have all the channels.
Hi Frank:

Yes, I realize that, and the general idea was to be able to mix in surround. It doesn't have to be super high end, I have no illusion of competing with say Skywalker Sound but I'd like to be able to crank out a surround mix that will sound decent, and if budget allows, take my Pro Tools session to the Big Boys next door and have them really polish it to shine (without being laughed out the door).

On my budget this is balancing act, I am trying to find the best middle ground. I have a lot of big plans, it is not easy.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:32 PM

To follow up on this, Sweetwater now has the JBL 2328 on sale for $250 per speaker.

In my experience they perform very well, and have decent low end as well, so I ordered three more (for dialogue, and two rear surrounds). For now I am foregoing on the subwoofer and a hardware bass management system. From what I heard you guys tell me, unless I want to specially send effects to the LFE channel, I don't really need it. These guys (the JBL 2328) can handle the entire frequency range without a subwoofer so I should be good.

I am going to move to a high end artist loft next door, by the way, from the noisy artist loft I live and try to work in right now. Everything will have to set up from scratch, it'll be an interesting experience. I'll be happy when I will be able to mix in 5.1 in my own little home studio.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM

I will echo what others have said. Use the two JBL's that you have and use them for your surrounds. Buy 3 JBL LSR 4328's for your LCR. They have built in monitor controls , ganged volume control, channel solos and mutes bass management, and room mode correction to clean up the low end.

Buy them used you can get them for almost half the price of new. You could probably find 3 for about $1400 When you have money to upgrade the surrounds get the JBL 4326's. You don't need a sub right away but when you do get the JBL LSR 4312. They all work together and eliminate the need for a separate monitor controller.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 PM

Thank you for your feedback - I already put in the order for the additional three 2328s, Sweetwater shipped them out today I believe. I will keep them in the box and probably not unpack until I am settled in my new place, where I have to start afresh acoustically.

The move, and the acoustic treatment, are on the forefront of my mind. It's so much more quiet than where I now live -- just can't wait.

I want to take the opportunity again and say that this is very fine forum, with unbelievably gracious members. I am going off topic, sorry, I tend to do that.