Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Strike Overhead Panning Issues....Bug ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oulablank View Post
Also, wouldn't that route the signal through the inserts of that channel as well?
Only when INS is enabled.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 AM

If you go to page 101 of the AIR VI.pdf i has a diagram of the Strike mix page signal flow. Maybe that will help
Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2 View Post
If you go to page 101 of the AIR VI.pdf i has a diagram of the Strike mix page signal flow.
Frankly, I think the shrink-wrap still covers the manual.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Frankly, I think the shrink-wrap still covers the manual.
You got a printed manual?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:35 AM

I've read the manual a few times and understand the signal flow but why ? Why the downmix option ? Is this modeling a feature on a board I've never used so it's new to me ? Like wondering why bf76 attack / release fast /slow are reversed from most compressors if you never used a hw 1176 ?
If someone could elaborate the purpose of the downmix that would be great ! I've never seen this option on some other plugs ( not that I've used them all )
and scratch my head as to why this feature exists and how it's incorporated ? If it's as obvious as I think then wht not just have overheads that give the proper image and be done with it . Also , to use downmix creates too much separation . Very artificial , like if I downmix cymbals . Now I have panned cymbals with no other bleed /
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Now I have panned cymbals with no other bleed?
You have bleed using the Master bus and adding Mic Leakage.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:37 PM

The leakage knob yes but I'm not printing the master bus when assigning all to individual outs . That really causes phase issues .
Thx for your responses FILO . I hate to assume but are you just printing your master channel ? I ask b/c if that was Strikes only option I wouldn't have any problems ? My problem is once I individually route , things change .
I wish there was a link / interview or someone from AIR would see this and chime in on why they went with the decision to have the downmix .
I'm probably wrong but based off of different threads I've read it seems like the only people who find this routing to be cut and dry are the people who are only printing master stereo file anyway . Once you get out of the cookie cutter mold , things change .
If my manual still has " shrink wrap " and yours doesn't then PLEASE elaborate for me how you mimic a real kit and route it all out . Lets say you wanted your session drums to match my live kit exactly . But you only have your ears to try to best simulate each channel . Kick , Snare , Toms , extra percussion....no problem !
My live kit consists of 2 OH and 2 Rooms . Solo live kit OH L and try to mimic the level relationship of how loud crash is compared to hihats ect.
That's where I don't understand why they even have downmix option . I keep asking this over and over b/c the answers I get are " you don't read manual or " you didn't bring up this knob " so....." That knob "
If this seems pissy I'm sorry . It's not . I'm recording live kits and work is going smooth so I'm not relying on an answer today or anything . I've got time with this thread so I'm persisting until someone who actually knows the answer to why downmix or can prove that they are successfully routing EVERYTHING out of Stike EXACTLY the way they want it ( not just printing a master channel ) .
I say EVERYTHING / EXACTLY b/c Kick ,Snare, Toms , Room are fine . It's only when I try to mimic OH that it gets weird . It also gets phasey when doing multiple passes.
If this is so easy to accomplish then can someone please throw me a bone a post an example using a preset setting with preset mix and show your routing path ? I'm really curious how you're getting everything out all in one pass ? If you're not doing it in one pass then I'm even more curious on how you're not getting phase issues with the little shifts strike does upon each playback.
I suspect most are just printing master fader .
Old 12-31-2010, 02:58 PM

I have two schools of thought, one, print 'every' possible close mic, overhead, room, mic leakage at full level and mix in the Pro Tools Mix window or two, mix it in the module as a single stem in the Pro Tools Mix window. The latter I find easiest.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:41 PM

Ahhhhhh..right there ! On your first example , are you printing everything as stereo tracks b/c your downmixing everything ? Or are you printing kicks / snares as mono and hard panning each + assign out 1L and out 1R ? If you are printing mono , how w/o screwing with paniing relationship of room channel ? If you are printing stereo kick and using downmix , are you downmixing everything and completely bypassing the OH channel all together ?
Are you printing all in one pass ?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
If you are printing mono, how w/o screwing with paniing relationship of room channel?
I would print the Kick Channels Room Mic from the Room Channel in Stereo.