Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Surround Mixing Bass Management

A newbee to surround mixing, I'm starting a project in Logic. I read somewhere that the 5.1 receivers in home systems take all the frequencies below some point (120Hz to 80 Hz) from the five full band speakers and direct them to the sub-woofer. Some folks are mixing from receivers with discrete analog inputs to take advantage of this automatic bass management system for monitoring in the studio. I'm going straight from Logic to my 5.1 monitoring system. I am wondering if I am right in assuming I should crank the LFE fader on the Logic pan windows to full, with a lowpass filter on the output object, to mimic the actions of a home receiver?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Surround Mixing Bass Management

this is a TDM for Mac OS forum. you should put this in the surround forum. but, before you do that, search the forum for some answers to you questions. bass management has been disucced a great deal.

to clarify, the reason bass management exists is because speakers are NOT full range -- if they were, you would not need to redirect bass frequencies to a sub, the full range would be played on the speaker. since they can't go below certan frequencies, it was decided to redirect frequencies below 80Hz to a dedicated speaker. also, the LFE fader send to the .1 for sub content only, it is not the same as redirection. you need to send everything below 80Hz from all channels to the sub in addition to the LFE directed stuff to "simulate" bass managent. you will need to get a bass manager of some sort.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash