Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Noob questions: Bass management and surround monitor calibration

Sorry for the newbie post, I've been looking into the subject of surround sound bass management and surround monitor calibration and I've seen multiple answers regarding the subject, can someone please give me some define answer to these questions: (yes, I've search the forum here and at gearsluts and it only added to the confusion...)

1) if I am mixing for material going to theatre/dub stage, should I mix with bass management on or off?

2) if I am mixing for material going direct to DVD, should I mix with bass management on or off?

3) My mixing room size is about 11'X11', and I've been told different answers as to what I should calibrate my surrounds monitors to, which of these answers is correct:
a) 85 db for all monitor
b) 79 db for all monitor (I've been told dolby recommends this for smaller room even if you are mixing for film)
c) 85 db for LCR and 83 db for Ls Rs
d) 85 db for LCR and 82 db for Ls Rs

4) Sub calibration, should they be calibrated at the same levels as the monitors?

Sorry for the long post

A very confused surround newbie...