Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 04-13-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Template Making in XP

In the Mac OS(9 & X) you can go to the properties of a PT session and select it to be come a stationary file. Now what this does is that any time you open that session it will tell you that "This is a template, do you what to make a new session?" This is really handy because you make all your necessary templates and it is not just a session reel copy.The whole session has correct parent folders. So my question is in XP is there a way make "stationary" PT template?

Old 04-13-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Template Making in XP

I set up my session and save it (usually this session folder sits on the desktop), I then go to the session executable file, right click on it and in the properties window select "read only." Then I can go to my audio drive create a new folder for the new session I am about to start - just a new, empty folder.

Open the read-only session file from the desktop, and "save as" (I think 'save' will be greyed out) to your folder on the audio drive.

Then just open it from the audio drive from then on.

BAM!

GreGJ
Old 04-13-2007, 04:57 PM

Thank you for the input but I have done this already. Let say that Mac OS 9 for example when open the "Stationary" Session it will ask you if you would like to make a new session or edit the stationary. Now if you make a new session it will ask where to put it without having to manually make a project folder.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:03 PM

Hi,

I have a template song that contains every option that I like to use such as MIDI channels and Instruments with a variety of plugins insticated. AUX and Audio channels with effects or processors insticated. Master channel with Plugins etc. When I start a new session I simply create a new session which automatiucally creates the folders etc it needs and then I use Import Session data and simply bring in all the goodies I need for that session. As I write or develop the song, if I need other instruments I just Import them again from the template which has been made read only to ensure it doesn't get changed inadvertantly.

Very simple, but different to the Mac process.

hope that helps,

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 04-14-2007, 09:11 PM

Big D, nice one!!!!!! I've been told I'm good at organizing, but your process is miles better than my workarounds (similar to those above).

Props to you.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 PM

Hope this doesn't sound too condescending but this whole issue of templates comes up time and again, and even Digidesign haven't really managed to address the issue even in their Accelerated Videos that are supposed to demonstrate how to make a template - it only tells half the story.

The "Import session data" method doesn't really work for me because I like to have my tracks colour coded, re-sized and some of them hidden which "Import session data" wont do.

I also don't like having to navigate my way through that dialogues mini browser (from a different starting point each time) just to find the session I want to import from, and then ticking more boxes etc when I've located it.

I do have a template that only has various pre-configured "channel strips" in it that I do use just for the purpose of "Import Session Data" if needed, but over the years I've developed a slightly different method that, whilst it sounds very long winded to explain / set up, is infact by far the fastest method I've used.

CREATING THE TEMPLATE :

1. Build a new session as per normal and get it set up just how you like it - My templates for example have tracks named, colour coded, re-sized, routed, spare / optional tracks de-activated and hidden. All the I/O, Busses and Hardware Inserts are named with alternate assignments ready made but de-activated. There are Talk-back and headphone mix matrixes set-up and ready, the Zoom settings have been configured, the grid resolution has been set, some groups have been assigned and a variety of memory locations have been set up to show various track configurations / pre-roll amounts etc.

2. a) go to "Save copy in..." and navigate to the top of your C: drive (the reason being that if you forget to do stage 4 or at a later date you modify the template then forget to do stage 4 and mess up the disk allocation of the template you wont have to look far for any misplaced audio files, and every computer has a C: drive).

b) some of my templates contain audio files such as a 2 pop and a 3 beep. If your session contains audio, name the session and skip to c). If your session does not contain any audio files you now need to create a folder with the same name as your session and browse into this new folder.

c) in the "Items to copy" section of the dialogue, tick the "All Audio Files" box.

d) hit save.

3. Close PT and navigate into your new Template folder at the top of the C: drive.

4. DO NOT LAUNCH / OPEN THE TEMPLATE . Right click on the session icon and select properties, tick the "Read Only" box and apply the changes.

5. On my desktop I have a folder that contains my various session templates, and shortcuts to my audio drives (no doubt you have something similar). Cut the folder containing your new template from the top of your C: drive and paste it into your desktop "session templates" folder.

USING THE TEMPLATE :

6. Copy the new template folder from your desktop "session templates" folder and paste it into your audio drive.

7. Single click on the new template folders name and re-name it with your projects name, before you hit enter / return select the name you just typed and Ctrl C to copy it. Now hit enter / return twice.

8. Double click on the session icon to launch PT / the session.

9. During launch the "Disk Allocation" dialogue will pop up (This was why it was so important to not launch / open the template at stage 4 - so that disk allocation would be correctly set for the templates new location). "No" is already selected so just hit enter / return.

10. When the session has finished launching, go to "Save" and hit Ctrl V to paste the sessions name into the dialogue, then hit enter / return.

Like I said, sounds long winded but is infact incredibly quick once your set.

Hope that helps folks in the future,

Cheers!