Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-25-2007, 02:55 AM

Default tweaking the windows keyboard

Apart from one stint at using a PC protools the other day it's been ages since I've used a PC. So "getting into" one id very unfamiliar. I would like to change the modifier keys on the windows keyboard so they are in the same order as a mac. (I'm used to using a mac so this will make editing simpler and faster for me I'm thinking) Someon mentioned something called Tweak. Is that in windows? Do you download it? If you have to install it will it mess the thing up for the next user or can you switch it off. Does anyone know?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: tweaking the windows keyboard

do a search on google for "Keyboard Remapper" you shouldnt have any trouble finding something...just keep in mind most of these programs are global for the computer not program specific...at least that was the case when I was looking around earlier. Let us know if you find something that works as I am curious to do the same thing. Remapping the keyboard so it feels more like the mac shortcuts...it was very frustrating the other day when my fingers automatically went to do some shortcuts but they didnt work cause it was on a PC.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 AM

I use a mac pt keyboard on my pc on which i remapped the cntrl and windows keys so that the shortcuts all work like on a mac. I used Key tweak. Its simple to use and yes it is global; you cannot have it set up for specific users. But it works fine and its such a relief not to have to learn the shortcuts twice!
Garret
Old 03-30-2007, 07:17 AM

ah...
it is possible to use a mac keyboard on pc. does it work for other aplications as well or is
it getting confusing then.

Do you use this PT Mac Keyboard for all the work you realise with the PC? No confusion?
If so I go and buy the PTMac keyboard cause it does not look as cheap as the PC one.
And I also learned the shortcuts on a mac.

Cheers Tilman
Old 04-03-2007, 12:20 PM

So I remapped today but it's not a fix all. Some short cuts aren't the same it would seem. For example on mac if you want to move a clip to a different track without moving it in time you ctrl drag it. I had to windows drag it on the PC. This is using a PC keyboard though. Although that wouldn;t make a difference would it?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
So I remapped today but it's not a fix all. Some short cuts aren't the same it would seem. For example on mac if you want to move a clip to a different track without moving it in time you ctrl drag it. I had to windows drag it on the PC. This is using a PC keyboard though. Although that wouldn't make a difference would it?
Hi webstereo,
You didn't map the keys correctly. The way to do it is replace the the alt with control, the control with windows and the windows with alt. So now, 95% of Pt has the same key positions as a mac.
Have fun with your mac keys dude.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme