Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-31-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: How does Quadzilla compare with latest SW Creation Stati

But really how many instances of Amplitube do you need running at one time. Once you get your guitar sound, print it to another track (keeping the unaffected track as a backup) and remove the Amplitube plug.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:52 AM

For a guitar based track? It depends on the song how many instances of Amplitube I need. Part of my interest in this thread is because my old 3.2ghz P4C800-E is getting a bit tight with the RTAS plugs. I can get about 3 instances of Amplitube, 1 instance of SVX, and maybe 2 instances of a synth or sampler before it starts choking. The buffer is only usable at 256 or under as far as I'm concerned. And yes, I have Amp Farm but I like the sound of Amplitube better.

As far as printing tracks, why don't I just scrap the HD system and stick with my little M-Powered rig then? If I was willing to bounce every track I could do away with a lot of HD advantages like PDC, native system load, etc.

Going through that much hassle of real time bouncing, I'd have to wonder why I bought an HD rig.

The way I work on my own material is constantly tweaking. Basically mixing as I compose. If I'm bouncing tracks that becomes quite an involved process. There's enough to contend with without adding in constant real time bouncing. I'm much more interested in making music than file maintenance. I'll sometimes bounce a track for various reasons, but being chained to it isn't my idea of a good work environment.

Another thing I don't like is having twice as many tracks. One unaffected track and one bounce track. I find that really slows me down and creates more "computer" work. I work pretty fast and hate things that get in my way. Wouldn't it make more sense to just get more processing power and keep the plugs? That would streamline things immensely over doing real time bounces. Then the "unaffected track" is the same as the "affected track", right?

OTOH, if it works for you, more power to ya!

http://www.badrap.org
Old 04-01-2007, 01:27 PM

MDog:
Good points. I wonder how much you could do w/ the latest Core 2 Quad and 4 GB RAM. I'm betting for most people that would be enough RTAS power. But who knows. I guess depending on your situation, Quadzilla + HD2 migt be better than Core 2 Quad + HD3.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
MDog:
Good points. I wonder how much you could do w/ the latest Core 2 Quad and 4 GB RAM. I'm betting for most people that would be enough RTAS power. But who knows. I guess depending on your situation, Quadzilla + HD2 migt be better than Core 2 Quad + HD3.
I'm leaning towards the Quadzilla setup. I *think* all I need is the Tyan MB, the processors and a PCIe video card. I'd be able to recycle the memory, case, psu, and drives from my P4C800-E system. I have to double check my existing memory, but I'm pretty sure it's DDR 400 PC-3200, and according to the website that will work on the Tyan Tiger MB.

I have an HD3 Accel with an additional Process card. Looks like I'd have to leave out the Process card due to slot limitations. Not really big deal, and if I sell it I would recoup part of the cost of upgrading.

Decisions, decisions...

Old 04-02-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I'm leaning towards the Quadzilla setup. I *think* all I need is the Tyan MB, the processors and a PCIe video card. I'd be able to recycle the memory, case, psu, and drives from my P4C800-E system. I have to double check my existing memory, but I'm pretty sure it's DDR 400 PC-3200, and according to the website that will work on the Tyan Tiger MB.

I have an HD3 Accel with an additional Process card. Looks like I'd have to leave out the Process card due to slot limitations. Not really big deal, and if I sell it I would recoup part of the cost of upgrading.

Decisions, decisions...
Performance tests on Amplitube and Ampeg SVX are here ;-)

Spec: Quadzilla standard build, add 1 HD Core Card for voices (TDM).

16 tracks (mono) with 1 Ampeg or Amplitube (not at the same time) brings it to 80% utilization on the PT meter. Actual memory in use for my system is close to 1.6Gigs

Pictures here:
http://www.rlowery.org/images/Amplitube%20inserts.jpg and http://www.rlowery.org/images/Ampeg%20inserts.jpg
iMac 3.06ghz, 16Gb, 2Tb, OSX 10.6.2
Minimoog Voyager, Liberation, Taurus, Phatty
Korgs, Nords and more
Arp 2600s & Ody
Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 PM

That would hold me for a while Thanks!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:01 AM

Interesting. Just did the same test with my Mac Dual 2.0 ghz circa 2004. mine came in under that CPU usage wise. Or about the same depending on buffer.

So this would be a lateral move for me. Of course, if its more stable....

more to ponder....

brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM

Brian,

These quads seem to report CPU usage a bit non-linearly. Its strange. I now have a Tyan 2877, Opteron 265, 4 GB ram etc. Quadzilla. Prior to this I had an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ "Best Desktop". If you watch the Digi CPU usage they look like they both load up about the same to well over 50%. However, at some point, it seems like you can just keep putting on the Quadzilla and not so for the Athlon X2. For these two systems the Athlon X2 will run 78 D-Verbs and the Quadzilla will run 140 D-Verbs. This is native on PTLE 7.3.1cs2.

Just another point of reference.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Just an update to my Quadzilla story:

I had thought I'd be able to recycle almost everything from my Asus P4C800-E rig, but it turns out almost nothing is compatible. Different PSU and memory, the only things I was able to keep were the drives and the case. Oh well, the price of progress, I suppose. It's still cheaper than buying a prebuild or going Mac, though.

Just thought I'd post this in case somebody was thinking along the same lines as me.