Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2023, 06:04 PM

Default Amazon Fire HD10 Not Reliable as S1 Meters

Hello All,

I currently run an iPad Air 4 as my master tablet, and I have 2 Fire HD10's that I try to use for my 2 x s1's. All of them are running the latest version of the app, and I just updated Eucontrol as well. I have never had any sort of reliability with the the Fire HD 10's (11th gen) running Avid Control app. This is their sole purpose for existing. I use them for nothing else but meter bridges for my S1's and they constantly disconnect. My iPad seems to stay connected to Eucontrol just fine. I threw in my iPhone as a test, and it works great. I purchased a gaming router specifically for this purpose, it's right next to them. Specifically its an Asus AT1800 RT-AX55. I have the mesh turned off and adjusted all the recommend settings I could find. I've tweaked every setting on the Fire HD10 I can think to including turning off Automatic Smart Suspend and Scheduled Smart Suspend for WiFI as recommended. The Apple devices stay connected and don't lag but the Fire's don't. What am I missing? Will I have better luck just going out and buying some extra iPad's? Seems excessive for some meter bridges. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!
Avid Control App 2023.11
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O + Omni
Avid S1 x 2
Old 11-29-2023, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Amazon Fire HD10 Not Reliable as S1 Meters

Yeah something broke in either the last EC update or the shady AmazonOS (or both) recently. My FireHD10 worked totally fine for the last 2 years but now it's disconnecting and reconnecting all day every 5 minutes. I have not changed anything in my network setup. I suspect it's the FireHD as even my old iPad mini from ages ago works fine.
I have now given up on the tablets. Waste of desk space and nothing really I can't cover with other helpers. Being able to pan the legs of a stereo track at the same time is the only thing I'll miss as PT has never supported that with 2 hardware joysticks (the digi ones or the Axos).
Now I just need to find a good way to saw off the tablet holder from the S1 to get closer to the Artist ergonomics.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 11-29-2023 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Now I just need to find a good way to saw off the tablet holder from the S1 to get closer to the Artist ergonomics.

Hi Frank, report back how it went!

Seriously, I have been thinking about that too.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:59 AM

I ditched Fire HD’s and went with Samsung Tab A8. Been fine ever since. Trade in your FireHD for some credit and go with something more reliable. It doesn’t need to be an iPad for the meters.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:25 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defekt View Post
Hello All,

I currently run an iPad Air 4 as my master tablet, and I have 2 Fire HD10's that I try to use for my 2 x s1's. All of them are running the latest version of the app, and I just updated Eucontrol as well. I have never had any sort of reliability with the the Fire HD 10's (11th gen) running Avid Control app. This is their sole purpose for existing. I use them for nothing else but meter bridges for my S1's and they constantly disconnect. My iPad seems to stay connected to Eucontrol just fine. I threw in my iPhone as a test, and it works great. I purchased a gaming router specifically for this purpose, it's right next to them. Specifically its an Asus AT1800 RT-AX55. I have the mesh turned off and adjusted all the recommend settings I could find. I've tweaked every setting on the Fire HD10 I can think to including turning off Automatic Smart Suspend and Scheduled Smart Suspend for WiFI as recommended. The Apple devices stay connected and don't lag but the Fire's don't. What am I missing? Will I have better luck just going out and buying some extra iPad's? Seems excessive for some meter bridges. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!
Can I confirm they stayed connected in 23.6 but not in 23.11?
Old 11-29-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Can I confirm they stayed connected in 23.6 but not in 23.11?
Hey Eddie. Thanks for chiming in. No, it’s never been right. It may actually be worse since upgrading to 23.11 as last night when I was messing with it, I couldn’t even get them to reconnect to Eucontrol, but they would routinely freeze or disconnect at seemingly random times even on 2023.6
Avid Control App 2023.11
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O + Omni
Avid S1 x 2
Old 11-29-2023, 08:40 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defekt View Post
Hey Eddie. Thanks for chiming in. No, it’s never been right. It may actually be worse since upgrading to 23.11 as last night when I was messing with it, I couldn’t even get them to reconnect to Eucontrol, but they would routinely freeze or disconnect at seemingly random times even on 2023.6
We are looking into this, they seem o have got worse the past couple of years. as for not connecting can you check the EUCON control panel in the Mac prefs and make sure its on the right network adapter. If you can ,can you Collect the logs from the EuControl menu right click and send me a PM with a link to them?
Old 11-29-2023, 08:48 AM

Double-check this setting on the FireHD operating system:

Settings > Internet > Wi-Fi preferences > click on the gear next to the wifi you use > go to the "Metered" line and tap and make sure it is set to "Treat as unmetered" and not "Detect automatically" or "Treat as metered"
Old 11-29-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Double-check this setting on the FireHD operating system:

Settings > Internet > Wi-Fi preferences > click on the gear next to the wifi you use > go to the "Metered" line and tap and make sure it is set to "Treat as unmetered" and not "Detect automatically" or "Treat as metered"
Thanks for the recommendation. This may have helped a bit actually, but did not fix the problem.
Avid Control App 2023.11
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O + Omni
Avid S1 x 2
Old 11-29-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
We are looking into this, they seem o have got worse the past couple of years. as for not connecting can you check the EUCON control panel in the Mac prefs and make sure its on the right network adapter. If you can ,can you Collect the logs from the EuControl menu right click and send me a PM with a link to them?
Sent you a private message with link and network adapter info. Thanks!
Avid Control App 2023.11
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O + Omni
Avid S1 x 2