Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Routing a skype call into Pro Tools 10? Or equivalent?

Hi everyone,

I searched for this in the forums first, but couldn't find this actual issue.

I'm running Pro Tools 10 on Windows 7. For hardware, I'm using my old M-Audio Firewire 1814.

My issue: I'm part of a podcast that's usually engineered by a 3rd party producer. The producer has everyone in the podcast using skype to call in to the show. Having all of us in a studio together wouldn't be possible, as we're all in different parts of the planet.

The current sound quality of the podcast isn't what I'd like it to be, so I decided to find out if it's possible to:

a) Route skype into Pro Tools on my own system, and

b) Somehow record each caller to a separate track, for optimal editing capabilities.

Even if we can just accomplish requirement a, it might help, as I probably have a better internet connection than the current producer. And he's using far inferior software.

Does anybody know how to accomplish either/or both of these two requirements? I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone has a better solution than using skype, that doesn't require us to be in the same room together.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide.

Mikal
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Routing a skype call into Pro Tools 10? Or equivalent?

Well, you could record the Skype audio using something like Audio Hijack then simply import into PT and split- out each caller to a separate audio track.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM

But, doesn't audio hijack record to one file, rather than multiple tracks?

I can't really separate them into individual tracks from a single file, since people are typically talking over each other and such. That's part of the reason I'd like to have separate tracks, so I can lower the background chatter in post-production and make sure the person who has the floor gets heard more than the others talking over them.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM

Forgot to mention, Audio Hijack is only made for mac, anyway. I'm using Windows 7.