Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2008, 08:22 AM

Thumbs up Singin' the praises of Transfuser

Damn. So Santa brought me Transfuser a few days early. Incidentally the same day I got PT 8 installed. Boy, do I feel spoiled. After some initial PT8 teething pains, things settled down on my system yesterday and I got to work.

Digi have a real ace up their sleeve with the AIR group. I think all the instruments are first class. As a long time Logic/Reason user, I have to say that I would even reach for (the free VI) Xpand! over my previous sound sets any day. I ran the 2 week Transfuser demo and loved it (hence Santa knowing what to bring me *grin*). Now I've started digging into my own library as well as the full content that was included. Woot. Awesome stuff!

I don't want to sound like a commercial, but honestly the words 'groundbreaking' and 'revolutionary' come to mind here. Why? Well, mostly I would say it's due to workflow, though the feature set is extensive to say the least.

The way I work (and I'm sure many others too) is to build a groove first. Drums/bass/whatever... Then the next step is to play around with chord changes and sing a melody on it. In any other traditional sequencer, you'd have to duplicate this in the timeline and start transposing sections. In Transfuser, you just 'play' your new groove as if it were an instrument itself. Once you have the changes down, hit record in the PT sequencer, and then continue to develop your track. No stopping necessary.

Brilliant guys. I think that one of the reasons that more people aren't freaking out about this VI is that they assume it's 'just another drum machine/loop player'. I guess it can be just that, but goes so much further!

Like Phil says in the video... "Love it... Love Transfuser!"

cheers all. I hope you're all having a good holiday and enjoying PT8!

AR

ps Now I can't wait to get the MPTK2 so I can dig into Hybrid (best synth short of getting the Virus).
Old 12-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Singin' the praises of Transfuser

I don't mean to hurt Digi here, but you can get Hybrid online very reasonably without having to buy MPTK2. By the way, I have it and like it.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:01 AM

Transfuser love is very cool indeed!

What I enjoy most is the fact the logic and dp guy's are left in the dust! Give me more PT unique soft synths. The last thing I want is to sound like is an NI demo! (Maybe click and pops could become a musical genre!) lol

Rubicon
Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM

Wink Re: Singin' the praises of Transfuser

Yeah. Funny, I was discussing the AIR, Logic, and NI instruments with a friend the other day. Other than the fact that they sound great, what I love about the AIR instruments is that the presets are just so usable. Many synth makers give you tons of flexibility. If I may say... too much flexibility. By that, I mean... you start out with a preset, and the parameters that you tweak are so broad that it's really easy to make that preset sound like total crap.

By contrast, I find that the AIR instruments have good workflow, good libraries, and excellent parameter ranges, so you just tweak away and enjoy it the whole time.

For me, priority one is getting from A to Z without losing focus of my end vision, and I finally found some instruments that help me do that without compromising sound quality.

cheers

AR

ps. Yeah I know you can get Hybrid for $250 on the site. I decided to pay the extra $150 for MPTK2, so that I could get all the goodies and also upgrade to Structure from Structure LE for $350. Deal of the century. :)
Old 12-31-2008, 03:28 PM

So great to see such a positive post in the DUC. The Digi guys and AIR have done a sterling job this year and have bought us an amazing upgrade with 8 and lots more to come. You made my night and have restored my faith.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 PM

Transfuser is by far the most FUN plug-in to use out of my whole collection. Its great and I love how it's basically the best parts of many other plug-ins all mashed up together.

And the latest bug fix, fixed the white bar issue I was having and makes it run better on my Mac Pro.

Great job guys!