How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Best spec Mac for Pro Tools 10?

Hi.

I've been using Pro Tools LE for a long time and have always struggled on getting a system that provides the required performance.

I'm currently using a Macbook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Digi 003 Rack. Obviously being a laptop I know it's not idea for big projects and I am struggling with big mixes that require a lot of processing in the box, so I'm looking to buy a mac pro.

I tried contacting Avid regarding this but had no response via email and their phone support seems none existent!

What I would like to know is what the ideal spec is for Pro Tools 10?

I've been told that buying the fastest mac on the market may not solve my issues.... for instance if I buy a 12 core with 64 GB Ram would Pro Tools actually utilise all the cores and Ram or would it just be wasted power?

I have also looked at refurbed macs but then told by an apple rep to avoid them and just go brand new. As I qualify for an education discount this may be a better option.

Most of the time I record no more than 8 inputs and the times that I require the power is post production.

Ideally I don't want to spend anymore than £3000.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Best spec Mac for Pro Tools 10?

I wouldn't buy any Mac Pro right now, new or old. A "new" Mac Pro is using parts from 3 years ago already. A refurb just isn't worth the price compared to what you can build yourself.

Apple has promised that there will be an actual new Mac Pro come next year. If you can wait, I'd advise to do so. Otherwise, build your own machine and put OSX or Windows on it. 3 grand is a serious waste of money on a 3 year old computer. You'd probably be better off just getting a new Macbook Pro, or even an iMac.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515