Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Wav file import (splitting up audio into tracks)

Hello group. I have a dozen WAV files that came from an Alesis Masterlink recorded at a 44.1 sample rate. If I import into PT 7.3, can I split the audio up into seperate tracks? Just wondering if PT can recognize frequencies to split a 2-track WAV file into multiple tracks. The WAV files are from live recordings in case it makes a difference. I would like to have the bass guitar on one track, electric guitar on another track, keyboards on another track, and so on. I realize this is a long shot, but with all the amazing things that audio software can do and all the PT plugins out there, that this just might be possible!!

Hopefully my question makes sense! I'm pretty new at this!

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Wav file import (splitting up audio into track

Hello cooner,
& welcome to the forum
PT will convert interleaved stereo files automatically into separate left/right ones on import.
As far as extracting mix elements ( like you are describing).. . I'm not sure how to answer that, beside..no way.

happy tooling,
a

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 01-21-2007, 08:38 PM

Well, I figured it was a long shot! So if I import the file, I can use the Pro Tools effects like compression to improve the quality of the audio?? I've got to think that people use this software to dump vinyl to cd or do what I am doing so there must be someone out there that has imported audio??

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:27 AM

Yes, PT will import the audio for you, and you can then compress and Eq to your heart's content.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Well, I figured it was a long shot! So if I import the file, I can use the Pro Tools effects like compression to improve the quality of the audio?? I've got to think that people use this software to dump vinyl to cd or do what I am doing so there must be someone out there that has imported audio??

Thanks!
Honestly..You might have a false vision what a DAW does, being PT or whatever.
Basically..think of a multitrack tapedeck and a mixer in one. And..get some educational material to learn the basic concept.
If you are planning to import an already a mixed stereo track, yes..PT can process and enhance that. And..you can then export this to a CD burning application. The process is usually referred to as "mastering"

best of luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 AM

Thanks a lot man! I understand and I will get educated on PT. I just wanted to make sure I didn't master these audio files using some long labor intensive approach if PT had some built-in magic that could do a lot for me. Sounds like PT will do a nice job cleaning up and improving the stereo mix I have. I used to do this kind of stuff through my mixer, external Alesis compressor, graphic EQ, and Cooledit. Was just a lot of work and I could never really get the levels right of each instrument. That's why I wondered how "smart" PT was and if it had some built-in functionality to make things easier. Sounds like 2 stereo tracks is simply 2 stereo tracks and I work from there.

I appreciate the feedback and assitance in getting me started!

Have a great week!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to make sure I didn't master these audio files using some long labor intensive approach if PT had some built-in magic that could do a lot for me. Sounds like PT will do a nice job cleaning up and improving the stereo mix I have.
Just so you understand, PT will not master your tracks automatically/magically.
The software is a set of tools.
Skill and understanding how to use those tools will be necessary.