Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 AM

Default Reverb Not Being Bounced To Disk

I'm using an 003 and a Lexicon MPX 1 reverb rack unit. I have things hooked up so that I get clear reverb signal when I playback in pro tools and mix as well. However, when I bounce to disk, the reverb does not get included. When it bounces I hear the reverb on the track, but when I take that wav file somewhere else all the reverb is gone.

right now I have one stereo aux track that is my reverb. I have the outputs on my interface of Out 1-2 going back to Mic/Line 1-2. The aux track has its input on Analog 1-2, and then the tracks I want reverb I have an Analog 1-2 on the send. this works great for receiving a clear signal of reverb inside my session for mixing. It is just when it is bounced, for some reason it is not registering. Any ideas?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Reverb Not Being Bounced To Disk

You need to record the reverb to an audio track.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
You need to record the reverb to an audio track.
That is absolutely not true. I was avoiding answering the original post since I did not understand the poster's routing. That definitely needs to be addressed. I suspect that something else may also be going on (perhaps low latency monitoring is switched on) but you do not need to record auxiliary inputs to audio unless you want to.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:54 PM

ok well the Low Latency was enabled. In fact I always have it enabled, because for some reason I have terrible latency, but i have a fast computer and good cables and such. I just can't figure out why I've always had it. Anyways, that got the reverb working on the BTD, but now I have a bunch of reverb, or rather there is latency so it is giving a chorus effect. I can compensate by turning all the sends down, but that is also annoying. Plus I dont like the idea that all my mixes have latency in them.

also whats wrong with my signal flow? I believe it to be accurate. I know there are more than one way to route signals, but I don't think there is an issue with that so much. I would appreciate you explaining a bit more please.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 PM

OK, this is the way I would do it. I'll concentrate on only one processor. I would connect outputs 5 and 6 of the 002 (if you want stereo sends) to the input of the Lexicon L/R. The outputs of the Lexicon come back in on inputs 5 and 6 of the 002. Go into the I/O assignments and name both these paths as Lexicon Reverb input, output, or whatever.

Create a stereo auxiliary input (name it reverb return or whatever) and assign its inputs the equivalent of inputs 5/6 (remember, you named them something). Make the output of this channel the same as your main outputs.

Now when you want to put reverb on a particular track, select one of the sends in that track and in the drop down menu select your reverb outputs (outputs 5/6). Adjust the send fader to taste.

Also remember to adjust any hardware input control on the Lexicon unit to peak at 0dB with multiple tracks sending full signal to the reverb. Also, if the reverb has adjustable operating levels on the I/O, make sure they match the levels on the 002. I'm referring to -10dBV or +4dBu here. Whichever one works the best.

Now you can place EQ and compression on the auxiliary input if you want to add to your creative arsenal, or if you need to tame the reverb EQ wise.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 PM

I can't remember how it works in the LE world, but in the HD world, here's how I would do it:

1. Do everything described above.

2. Rather than assigning directly from the tracks to the output pair, use a pair of busses.

3. On the aux track, assign the input to the corresponding busses.

4. On the aux track, go to the inserts and assign an i/o insert for the path 5-6. (which you can name in the i/o setup)

I can't remember if the LE systems are able to compensate for the latency incurred on a hardware i/o, but in HD it does so that's why this works better than a direct assignment.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
...I can't remember if the LE systems are able to compensate for the latency incurred on a hardware i/o, but in HD it does so that's why this works better than a direct assignment.
I don't think that an LE system can compensate for hardware latency. As far as I know there is nowhere to input that kind of information.

Additionally, we are talking about reverb here, which IMHO is not very troubled by such issues. Certainly if one wants to get some kind of timing effect from a reverb, first reflections could be easily adjusted to fullfill that role.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Ok, well thats exactly how im doing it, except I have them going out output 1-2, and coming in on Mic/Line 1-2. I used to do it through 3-4. but when it came time to master and stuff, the reverb did not follow my master fader. That is to say, that if I automated my master fader down to zero, my reverb would still play. Even though my reverb track was set on Analog 1-2 output.

Also, how can I reduce the amount of latency coming from my lexicon. I can hear a notable difference when Low Latency Monitoring is on. Though all I have to do is re-adjust the levels and it sounds alright. But I need to be able to trust what I'm hearing.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:52 PM

What channels are you monitoring on?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:10 PM

I monitor on channels Analog 1-2. Whatever the default I/O is for pro tools. I have not changed my I/O settings inside Pro tools.