Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 11-13-2018, 11:04 AM

Default PT2018.10 - No Digidesign Cards found...

I hate starting a new thread, because I cannot be the only lucky one :) but today after AppManager downloaded and upgraded my functioning PT 2018.7 to 2018.10, I can no longer open any sessions with audio at 48 kHz, and in fact cannot seem to utilize my audio interface which is clearly chosen in startup.

The message I get is:
Quote:
The current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 48 kHz
Now before you smash reply, keep reading please.

I go to Setup->Hardware to see if PT launched using Windows Audio like it usually does (75% of the time, mind you) instead of my Mackie DL32R audio interface, and now I am greeted with a whole new horror I have never seen before:

Quote:
There are no Digidesign Cards in the system
Now before you smash reply, keep reading please.

I have held down the "N" key, and selected my Mackie interface when prompted - soon as the project chooser appears, I pick my 48 kHz project, and (see above) all that happens.

I have >also< trashed PT preferences (the %appdata% thing) and still the same issue.

Being a USB device, I have in fact also disabled >all< power management on USB devices in Device Manager (learned this when I first got a USB interface!) so it isn't a sleepy device problem.

And finally: I have never owned a digidesign card, and my PT version is whatever-consumer-version-upgraded-since-PT9, so I am pretty sure I did not mistakenly install some uber-studio version that requires cards in my computer.

After all, 4 days ago, I was running PT 2018.7 just fine. For now, I will re-install 2018.7 to get my work done, but posting this as I'd like to get updates I deserve being a paying subscriber.

Specs: Windows 10 x64, 12GB ram, 1TB SSD (plenty o room), Mackie DL32R interface, and of course now, PT 2018.10, hobbled.

Editorial commentary:
Using Pro Tools has become a hindrance to my productivity, as I spend easily upwards of 2 hours per session just trying to coax the software to find my USB audio interface. The only interface that does not require this much effort is the 003 Control Surface from my original package deal back in 2011... however, the 003 no longer serves my studio needs, so it's not an option to just use that interface.

To anyone who read all this and didn't just smash Reply and tell me to reboot, thank you and I look forward to any advice.

John

Edit: fwiw, just to be sure it wasn't the Mackie, I moved over to the iMac and PT+Mackie work perfectly. Sigh, Windows... it might be time to bid you a farewell.

Last edited by VisionsMusicGroup; 11-13-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added usb power management steps
Old 11-13-2018, 02:30 PM

Default Re: PT2018.10 - No Digidesign Cards found...

It's not recommended to let Windows audio have access to the audio interface as well as PT as it causes problems like this. However, the first thing to check is the sample rate setting under Sounds - Playback- Advanced tab to see if the update has reset it to 44.1, not unheard of with updates. This is normally what triggers that error message. As to the Digidesign message, I have never seen this so cannot help you there.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 11-15-2018, 03:01 PM

Hey Wizzoboy,
Thanks for the tip. I did check out the sample rate, and it definitely was out of line with the project (project being 48k, Windoze being 44.1kHz). While that did fix the exception errors, the problem with the Mackie going MIA persisted until I finally gave up and migrated over to the iMac - where I am told I should have been all along :)

Sorry Windows; your time has come, out to pasture you go.

If I ever figure out what's going on, I'll come back and update this post. Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:46 PM

One thing you could try is going to device manager and see if the device is unknown. I have seen this with some of the newer windows updates etc since 10 just did a big version update. Simple fix was to update the driver from there. I think its likely that is your issue. That said, though I am a windows server guy at work, all my PT runs on mac. Just seems to run a lot better. Not saying mac is better bc the software crashes and hangs same as any other but the whole core audio works a lot better because everyone programs more for mac when it comes to DAW software. Windows is an after thought.