Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2018, 08:23 AM

Default iLok cloud problems with PT 2018.1

I just downloaded Pro Tools 2018.1 for my Macbook (Sierra), was looking forward to setting up the new iLok cloud feature. I followed the steps listed here. I clicked the Activate button upon initial prompt, logged in and got the okay to enable an iLok cloud session. After confirming, it brought me to the "Select Licenses to Activate" screen. Everything is greyed out, forced to quit or insert iLok at this point.

In License Manager, the Cloud tab lists Pro Tools Plan (type is subscription), expired 2017-01-05, with a red refresh symbol. I just renewed the Pro Tools Annual Upgrade Plan again, and got it working with physical iLok by transferring "Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle", deposited apparently in 2016, onto my iLok this morning. I've renewed this plan twice now, its difficult to tell which license is which, however this license definitely works with the new PT.

I feel like the physical iLok and cloud licenses are out of sync. Just to confirm, I own the upgrade plan ($99), not a subscription. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.
Mbox 3 Pro - Pro Tools 2018.1.0
Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 AM

Default Re: iLok cloud problems with PT 2018.1

I think the key here is in step 2 - "Ensure you have cloud-enabled licenses in your available tab" For you this would be your Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12). Please deactivate that from your iLok and try launching PT again.

A Pro Tools Plan (or Pro Tools HD Plan) license is part of the Plug-Ins and Support Plan or HD Upgrade and Support Plan and simply authorizes bonus plug-ins. If you only renewed your Upgrade Plan then the Pro Tools Plan license would expire.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:20 AM

Okay. Pro Tools Plan is expired and greyed out, havent kept with the support / plugin package for the past two years.

I deactivated Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12) from my iLok, it showed back up in Available with iLok cloud icon active. Then I reactivated it on my iLok, but can't seem to get any iLok cloud prompts at all. I attached a few screenshots. It would seem that Pro Tools Plan is showing up in the Cloud tab (this is the one with the red refresh symbol), even though it is long expired and greyed out in my "All Licenses" tab.

Shouldn't the Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle be showing up under the cloud tab?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg all.jpg (23.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cloud.jpg (17.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg available.jpg (32.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 AM

Your Pro Tools license can't be on an iLok if you want to use it in a Cloud Session.
Quote:
Q: Can a license that is on an iLok also be used with iLok Cloud?
A: In order to use a license with iLok Cloud it needs to be in the iLok Account and not on a physical iLok or computer (i.e. machine-based licensing). Any licenses on physical iLoks or computers will continue to work normally regardless of any iLok Cloud Sessions that may be occurring simultaneously.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/iLok-Cloud-FAQ
  1. Quit Pro Tools
  2. Launch iLok License Manager
  3. Go to File > Close Cloud Session
  4. Deactivate your Pro Tools license (it should just be in your account - not on your iLok)
  5. Follow the instructions listed in the iLok Cloud FAQ
Old 02-01-2018, 09:51 AM

Awesome, totally overlooked that. Got it working now.

For others with this problem, make sure you close cloud sessions. Didn't see this the first time, which ultimately led me to a screen saying "This license can only be activated to an iLok" after startup. That was really only necessary due to me screwing up the iLok stuff beforehand though. Now Perpetual Bundle license is under cloud tab.

Thanks again for the help
Old 02-04-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Your Pro Tools license can't be on an iLok if you want to use it in a Cloud Session.
  1. Quit Pro Tools
  2. Launch iLok License Manager
  3. Go to File > Close Cloud Session
  4. Deactivate your Pro Tools license (it should just be in your account - not on your iLok)
  5. Follow the instructions listed in the iLok Cloud FAQ
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2018, 08:08 PM

Thanks for this post - solved my problem today. Cloud session is an iLok thing - sessions are PT things to me - live and learn...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 11-09-2018, 11:36 AM

I can't deactivate the account, being a "locked group". What do I do? I signed out of everything, closed cloud. It always prompts for the Ilok. Do I have to have the ilok inserted, deactivate, and then do the steps Jeffro suggested? But doesn't that defeat the purpose?
Old 11-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmflange View Post
I can't deactivate the account, being a "locked group". What do I do? I signed out of everything, closed cloud. It always prompts for the Ilok. Do I have to have the ilok inserted, deactivate, and then do the steps Jeffro suggested? But doesn't that defeat the purpose?
Not sure what you mean about deactivating the account. I see you have a Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12+I/O) and Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12) on your iLok2. The latter is redundant (since you have an Ultimate bundle which also has a later Release Limit date) so should be deactivated from that iLok. You also have an expired Pro Tools Plan license that should be deactivated. If that doesn't help, please provide details on what you are doing and the result (screenshots might be useful). Thanks!
Old 11-09-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Not sure what you mean about deactivating the account. I see you have a Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12+I/O) and Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12) on your iLok2. The latter is redundant (since you have an Ultimate bundle which also has a later Release Limit date) so should be deactivated from that iLok. You also have an expired Pro Tools Plan license that should be deactivated. If that doesn't help, please provide details on what you are doing and the result (screenshots might be useful). Thanks!
Hi Jeffro, when I try to deactivate what you suggested, I can't because it shows it as a 'locked group'. I see no area in my PT account to 'deactivate' it. I see how to sign out, but not deactivate. Where would this be? Sorry if Im making things confusing.

Last edited by jeffro; 11-09-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Removed the screenshot since it showed your User ID.