Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-13-2002, 05:40 PM

Default Who does voice overs/v.o. recording?

I'm curious to hear from any of you who either record voice overs (of any sort) or actually do voice overs, or both.
I'd like to know how you got/get into the business. A friend of mine is a writer for television, and asked the other day why I never went into doing voice work. Hmmmmmmmmm.... I guess I've got the voice, but didn't give it any thought. Suggestions on where to look, besides "You've gotta make a demo"?

Thanks folks
Old 08-13-2002, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Who does voice overs/v.o. recording?

Hi basschair,

I do voice overs and do some of them in my home studio, which is why I got PT LE. I've got a Word file that outlines some ideas on how to start doing voice overs. Some of the information is specific to where I live so you would have to substitute resources in your area. If you would like the file, please email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you tonight or tomorrow. I'm at a session right now and am using one of their computers in between, so I can't send you anything right now. There's also a good book on voice work by James Alberger. Jog my memory in your email and I'll send you the link to his website.

BTW, I got into the voice over business while/after being on the radio.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-13-2002, 06:17 PM

The majority of my business is now recording V/O and video production. I got into both fields from the music side. I did some underscores for corporate videos/animations for an advertising agency. That led to some work with video production companies doing voice and music. I have since specialized in V/O as it is:

a) Normally pretty easy - depending on the talent.

b) Generally better paying.

c) You don't have to deal with the deadbeats in the music biz. 30 odd years of the BS was enough for me. Now I get to pick and choose the music projects I work on because the V/O is paying the bills.

If you want to get into from the talent side I would suggest acting lessons before you do anything. If you want to be succesful there is a lot more to it than just having people say you speak nicely. Projecting and/or selling with just your voice is tough. It requires good articulation, pronunciation, breathing, timing and above all the ability to convey emotion without using your face or body.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:47 PM

English Jim is correct. Doing a voice over is acting. When you see a pro do it, they are most always very animated.
Just like Jim, I do Broadcast Video and Radio for a living.
I am part owner of an advertising agency and I own my own production company as well. If you are a voice talent looking for work there are a few things that you can do to get hooked up fast. And the fact that you can record your own voice is huge.
1-Connect with the media. Every state has a Media Guide ( a phone book for the media ). Get one, so that you will have all of the contact info that you will require.
2- Call every agency, TV Station, TV and Radio Sales rep, and production out-fit and ask them if you can bring / fax / or e-mail them a page containing your name, what you do, and your contact info.
3- On the page you will want to include a header that has your business name, your services, and contact info - do not put your rates on this list.
Be sure to let them know that you can produce your own spots and that you can e-mail them a finished spot as an MP3 if they wish. That's a big deal because in the media you have to be fast and efficient as well as have quality.
4- Do a voice-over about your own services. Make it sound like an advertisement for your busines. It can be any length. I would keep it thirty seconds or less. If any body wants a demo, send them your voice-over about your services via e-mail or CD. That will be sufficient and convenient - you don't need a big demo reel to start with. If they like your voice, they will hire you.
5- Repeat step 2 a lot!!!
6- Pricing is tricky. Don't start out to cheap. I know guys that get $2,500 to write a thirty and I know other guys that do it for $50.00 I know voice talent that will work for $75.00 per spot and others that will charge $500.00 per spot. In my experience, the ones who charge more, get more work. Many people price each job according to how high that they can go with-out losing the job. I have a rate card that I stick fairly close to.
I can't stress enough that you should not put your rates on your flyer - that can bite you later.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:01 AM

I also started out in radio. I'm at the next stage now. I have just quit my fulltime radio job (it's not that uncommon to have a couple gigs in radio) and am now starting to promote myself for voice over work. The good thing is that you can just put a demo together without having to go through the "previous experience" part. There are several web-sites you can go to to get copy. Just do a search, although you can make up your own. As someone stated before, if someone likes your voice, they will use you regardless of experience.
Good luck!

my 2 cents.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:37 AM

Amen to all the above...
also if you're going to be writing copy, an essential book to pick up: "Copywriting For The Electronic Media". Find it online at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

Another thing you can do to see what you're up against and get some demo ideas, is visit Radio and Records and browse to the Voice Talent part of The Directory.