Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2019, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 + Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyno85 View Post
Can confirm. After waiting a year for the 16” Macbook to be released I splurged and bought it last week as my ‘09 iMac can barely run Pro Tools these days.

After pulling my hair out for a few days wondering why the install file kept corrupting I came across this thread. I’m gobsmacked. I essentially have a $5000 brick sitting in my room. Even better I was just made redundant yesterday so the one time I have free time in my life to make music I can’t even do that.
Have you (or anyone else) considered wiping the OS on your new 16" and installing Mojave?

There's a lot out there about how to create an installation USB or even a bootable USB with Mojave.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamDonkey View Post
Have you (or anyone else) considered wiping the OS on your new 16" and installing Mojave?

There's a lot out there about how to create an installation USB or even a bootable USB with Mojave.
Mojave doesn't have drivers to support the new hardware in the 16". I read one report of someone booting from an external system drive that had Mojave. It worked but reportedly didn't run well.
We'll have to wait until the rocket scientists at Avid release a version that supports Catalina.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 11-27-2019, 01:02 PM

The first rocket scientists btw were german. V2 was the first ICBM
Old 11-27-2019, 02:21 PM

Media Composer has totally changed it once again on Catalina, had they not made 64 Bit of it ???????
Old 11-30-2019, 03:23 PM

New 16" MacBook Pro is ordered and on the way to me. Any word on when PT will be updated with support for OSX Catalina? The first Catalina beta was rolled out June 2019 so Avid has had access to the SDK's for months now.

Thanks.

Last edited by boomspot; 11-30-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomspot View Post
New 16" MacBook Pro is ordered and on the way to me. Any word on when PT will be updated with support for OSX Catalina? The first Catalina beta was rolled out June 2019 so Avid has had access to the SDK's for months now.

Thanks.

My plan is to install bootcamp + Windows when my 16" arrives. It's going to take long before Avid will support Catalina.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:04 AM

If you buy your new mac pro 2019, Pro tools and Composer don't work, where does good collaboration with apple ...
so big company pretty embarrassed
Old 12-01-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J View Post
My plan is to install bootcamp + Windows when my 16" arrives. It's going to take long before Avid will support Catalina.
Yeah, running Windows on a new Mac as a workaround is less than ideal. I’ll keep using my older machines and reconsider my DAW options if support isn’t available by the time my Avid subscription expires in February.

Thanks,

B
Old 12-02-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah, running Windows on a new Mac as a workaround is less than ideal. I’ll keep using my older machines and reconsider my DAW options if support isn’t available by the time my Avid subscription expires in February.

Thanks,

B
Same. I always thought Pro Tools was the industry standard but that just clearly isn’t the case anymore. After putting it off for years and fighting the naysayers, I’ve finally started looking into switching over to Logic or Ableton.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
I understand Bootcamp is not a solution for everyone. For me new MBP will be just a backup / travelling machine. My main computer will still be Mojave and perhaps I will skip Catalina.
After Catalina is supported, I will be using it for Macbook Pro though. I just need something portable now because my older MBP is way too slow.